Is life better in the land of smiles

sesdaman

What does your wife think, after all she is Thai and should be closest to you.

Your child can be better educated for far less money (free) in the UK. Can learn Thai culture and language by spending each summer vacation in Thailand with his mother's' relatives and then if he/she does choose to go to university, college, whatever, take a gap year in Thailand.

Then is the time for your wife and you to make a very big decision.

I am the reverse, my wife tried to live with me in the UK, but could not adapt, needed her family.

I could, so we live here.

• Like 1

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in Thailand is for me a life beyond my wildest dreams. It's 12 years now. I went home for 3 weeks last month and couldn't wait to get back here.

Why do so many posters here depend on the experiences of others to make a decision. We all have different needs, values and priorities. What I consider heaven (looking at a butterfly landing on a flower in my front garden) brings me the peace of mind and contentment that I was searching for all my life when at home, but could never find.

Were I to die in my bed tonight I would thank God for the 12 greatest years of my life.

Nice post fella, good to hear you have your priorities sorted out and understand what is important in life.

Lets hope you don't die in your bed tonight and you can thank God for years more happiness.

• Like 1

It's great if you come from a country that's wet and cold.

It's great if you want a younger woman, or just want to go whoring.

It would be a disaster if you came here with a wife and children.

Your children would get a bad (yet expensive) education, no chance of a decent university, and have zero chance of making money in their future.

You owe it to your son to live in the UK until he has started university.

Then you can do what you like, and he will be free to choose his own future, knowing you gave him the best start in life you could.

AOA is spot on for families which are middle class or below, which will be most.

The exception are upper middle class families which can retain their income while in Thailand.

For those, upper middle class at home means:

- expensive rental home

- high taxes, high healthcare costs

- maybe toying with the idea of a 40 year mortgage for buying that nice 4 bedroom house that's not too far out in the suburbs

- toying with the idea of sending the children to a private school, realizing that it is possible but would bring the budget to zero

- uncertain public retirement plans, costly private saving plans

- etc.

If the family can maintain their net income when in Thailand, this means:

- buy a villa with large pool and maid

- almost no tax if the income comes from abroad

- money is enough for sending the kids to the best schools in the country

- etc.

For families which can maintain a net income of a minimum of 5000 to 6000 EUR, there are huge advantages in moving to Thailand.

Edited by manarak

Sometimes its great,sometimes it isn't, just like in your own country but in your own country you have rights. Why do people moan and still stay here ? Many have burnt their bridges and the way back is just too difficult,many have children and don't want to uproot them, then again people always moan about something, it's like the army, there would be a real problem if nobody moaned.

Edited by soalbundy

I would say if your looking for a cheap lifestyle yes, But to bring up your kid and look after your wife I don't think so mate.

you would find everything in Thailand is substandard just ask your wife she should she should know that ANSWER!!

• Like 1

I would say if your looking for a cheap lifestyle yes, But to bring up your kid and look after your wife I don't think so mate.

you would find everything in Thailand is substandard just ask your wife she should she should know that ANSWER!!

Is everything in Thailand substandard? Good and bad points about living here, same as most other countries.

Sometimes its great,sometimes it isn't, just like in your own country but in your own country you have rights. Why do people moan and still stay here ? Many have burnt their bridges and the way back is just too difficult,many have children and don't want to uproot them, then again people always moan about something, it's like the army, there would be a real problem if nobody moaned.

Ahhhh, the old " A Schumphing soldier is a happy soldier " biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Is everything in Thailand substandard? Good and bad points about living here, same as most other countries.

Substandard,

Everything to do with housing.

Everything to do with education.

Everything to do with government.

Everything to do with trust, honesty and personal responsibility.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Substandard,

As opposed to USA? No child left behind.

Substandard,

That's just a silly reply,

I don't believe I could find one government school in Thailand, I would want my children to attend.

There are thousands of perfectly decent government schools in the USA.

• Like 1

Substandard,

I don't believe I could find one government school in Thailand, I would want my children to attend.

Fine. What is your problem with housing?

Substandard,

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/national-rankings/magnet-school-rankings

Most of my children graduated from schools in the top ten. Yes the schools are amazingly good and hard and difficult and put a strain of both parents and children but gosh are they good schools.

• Like 2

If you are a Thai person then no, prices have gone up and wages have not. And the job prospects are also down with a lot of migrants entering the Country.

Which seems to mirror the UK position also, wages have not increased whilst inflation is down, except in Europe where inflation is down even further.

• Like 1

You don't live in Thailand do you?

Ha, ha. Yes, I live in my substandard Thai built house. You have a problem with your Thai built house?

My house is good enough, but they could open up a machine shop next door, karaoke bar, condo building, refuse collection center, etc.

• Like 2

You don't live in Thailand do you?

Ha, ha. Yes, I live in my substandard Thai built house. You have a problem with your Thai built house?

My house is good enough, but they could open up a machine shop next door, karaoke bar, condo building, refuse collection center,

Called freedom, big thing in the USA but strangely lacking. Apparently Americans education won't stretch to the metric system and you still stick to 110V electricity supply. No offence intended.like most Americans I have met.

Substandard,

The problem is, Thais can not build quality homes full stop they are so dodgy with there build.

If you don't stand over them you can guarantee you will have a shithouse...... As Thais would say 100% :-)

• Like 1

Substandard,

The problem is, Thais can not build quality homes full stop they are so dodgy with there build.

If you don't stand over them you can guarantee you will have a shithouse...... As Thais would say 100% :-)

A "brick s##t house" is considered well built in some countries.

Will you be Happy in Thailand?

I guess the answer to that question depends on you and not on Thailand. Happiness depends on the ability of the recipient to be grateful

So what is the connection between Happiness and gratefulness?

Some will say , when you are happy , you are grateful

There are people that have every reason in the world to be happy and they are not because they want more, and then there are others that have many challenges ,and deficiencies yet they are happy,

Why?

because they are grateful for what they have.

So gratefulness is not a result of happiness, But happiness comes as a result of being grateful

We all know of the complainers and moaners, they are not grateful of what Thailand has to offer, the good and the bad that combine to crate the unique experience that e call Thailand , They are not grateful for all that Thailand has to offer, so they are Unhappy

so we come back to the question, Will you be happy in Thailand?

• Like 2

Life here is better but only up to a point.

Low living costs and generally being left alone to go about one's business without intrusion by the state are worth their "weight" in gold.

To be honest, if I was pulling down £20,000 a month NET, I'd be back to London in a flash as that's what I'd need to lift me - financially, at least - above most of the crap that so many stiffs have to deal with there.

Stuff like a high quality motor and a good-sized apartment in West or Central London.

Life here is better but only up to a point.

Low living costs and generally being left alone to go about one's business without intrusion by the state are worth their "weight" in gold.

To be honest, if I was pulling down £20,000 a month NET, I'd be back to London in a flash as that's what I'd need to lift me - financially, at least - above most of the crap that so many stiffs have to deal with there.

Stuff like a high quality motor and a good-sized apartment in West or Central London.

20,000£ a month net? In London? Agree it is not bad but think lifestile here is better for same money.