Is life better in the land of smiles

sesdaman

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

False arrest can happen anywhere, this guy will get $$$$$ compensation, and a lot of publicity.

In Thailand he would have disappeared forever.

If posts critical of the head of the Thai government, Yingluck were illegal 99% of the posters in the Thai Visa news and general forums would be in jail.

You may not have noticed, but a military coup replaced the elected government with a military junta.

Yingluck was then, Junta is now.

Regardless, you're still here I see hence things can't be that bad for you.

Life here is very good for me. I have a lot of friends who would like to be able to live here, but cannot figure out how to do it. Some of very envious. And if you are fortunate enough to live with a very intelligent women, who speaks great english, like mine does, than the envy is even greater. There are men of all shapes and sizes, and all walks of life on this forum, and living here in Thailand. I have met many who are successful, smart, intellectual, and live wonderful lives here. I am often pleasantly surprised at how intelligent and thoughtful some of the replies and quotes I get on this forum are. It is a testament to the caliber of ex-pates who use it. Some have great Thai women, and some do not. Some are single, some are family men. Most are considerably more content than they were when they lived their quiet lives of desperation in the west. Simply put, life back there does not suit all of us. I hope and pray on a daily basis I never have to live back in the US again. Never. Please no. Of course there were things I liked about life back there. But, even with the lack of conveniences, and culture here, I would take this life, over life back there by a wide, wide margin.

Yes, there are sacrifices we make, by choosing to live here. The lack of access to foodstuffs, the lack of great wilderness areas, highland lakes and rivers, theatre, live jazz, or any real meaningfully music scene, at all, the lack of live dance performance, and other cultural aspects can be frustrating at times. But, we make out choices. The quality of life is way higher for me here, and the general attitude of the local people are a big part of that. Thai people are remarkable in terms of their positivity, their cheerfulness, their lightheartedness, and their humor. I love that. I cannot get any of that back in the US. People there are very dour, and unfulfilled, generally.

In terms of women, maybe I am just very fortunate. I have a woman a couple of decades younger than me (I always preferred younger women, even the entire time I lived in the west, as women my age simply cannot keep up with me in terms of energy and lifestyle, and were way too lethargic for my tastes), very intelligent, very pretty, fit, and funny. She cracks me up daily. Always good humor, always in a pleasant mood, always cheerful and always has my back. She wakes up with a smile on her face! Never, in the decades I lived back there, did I experience that. Oh yes, I experienced the opposite of that frequently. All of this is not exactly something to pity. Not compared to the vast majority of relationships or marriages my friends have in the west, most of which leave ALOT to be desired. And did I mention the 200 LB. gals? Or the sourpuss attitudes? The height of the hurdles? I could go on, and on, but I won't.

And in terms of health care, I am self insured. I put money away, instead of allowing the CEO of an insurance company to buy his 4th villa. If and when the time comes, I have the cash set aside. And unless it is something very serious, I will probably come out ahead. I despise insurance companies, and use them only for my car, and a minimal personal accident policy, with includes 5 million baht in life insurance for my gal. I pay a total of about $100 a month for insurance. I feel like I have my foot halfway up the ass of the insurance executives I used to deal with. That is it, I am proud to say. Life without insurance is a beautiful thing. It is my life, and I do not belong to an insurance company. Some of the friends I have in the states spend a third of their annual income on insurance for their house, cars, life, health, etc, etc. I for one, was not comfortable paying $1000 to $2000 per month for all of that nonsense, and am thrilled on a daily basis to not have to be doing it here.

And in regard to immigration, many of us have multiple entry retirement visas. It could hardly be an easier way to stay here. Stay all year if you like, or come and go as you please. Reporting in every 90 days, to the tune of 15 minutes, is hardly jumping over hoops.

So, make your own judgment, but please try using a little bit of imagination. Many of us have truly fulfilling lives here, that we would not want to trade for anything.

couldn't agree more with you especially the part about women compared to Western women

I think you make a good point about health insurance, I just didn't have the balls to do without but given that quality of healthcare is quite good here and at a reasonable price, I may give it a thought to actually do without and just put the same money away.

False arrest can happen anywhere, this guy will get $$$$$ compensation, and a lot of publicity.

In Thailand he would have disappeared forever.

If posts critical of the head of the Thai government, Yingluck were illegal 99% of the posters in the Thai Visa news and general forums would be in jail.

You may not have noticed, but a military coup replaced the elected government with a military junta.

Yingluck was then, Junta is now.

I'm only here because of a 15yo Thai girl and a 2yo Thai boy I look after.

Else I would have gone back to the USA.

I still might just dump the kids and go,they aren't really mine, I don't owe them anything.

Maybe you're right, I should just think about what I want.

What do you think I should do?

Do you want them?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I am comparing elected leaders in Thailand and the USA. Write all the freedoms in Thailand in one column and the USA in another. Of course it is personal but I feel more free in Thailand.

And I'm comparing current leaders, not some fantasy football team you want to create.

Yingluck has gone, and all their cronies.

It's Junta General Vs Obama!

I'm only here because of a 15yo Thai girl and a 2yo Thai boy I look after.

Else I would have gone back to the USA.

I still might just dump the kids and go,they aren't really mine, I don't owe them anything.

Maybe you're right, I should just think about what I want.

What do you think I should do?

Do you want them?

Too kind and most generous, let me think for a moment...no! laugh.png

But I'll leave you with the thought that, you have but one life to live, carpe diem.

• Like 1

I am comparing elected leaders in Thailand and the USA. Write all the freedoms in Thailand in one column and the USA in another. Of course it is personal but I feel more free in Thailand.

And I'm comparing current leaders, not some fantasy football team you want to create.

Yingluck has gone, and all their cronies.

It's Junta General Vs Obama!

You were comparing those. I said elected leaders. Same holds true in the USA. Try joining the army and requesting free speech.

Of course the IRS thinks they are an army as do most police forces when asked for basic freedoms.

Try forgetting your drivers license in the West and handing the arresting officer some money.

So compare Army to Army, martial law to martial law and elected leaders to elected leaders that's only fair. The army is in charge of much of East St Louis right now - go talk to them.

I'm walking down the street and a cop pulls up and tells me to get out of the street in the USA and I don't comply what happens?

Google race riots Thailand.

Here is what 100 baht buys me in Thailand.

1. Haircut and a shave, includes tip.

2. One hour massage.

3.One hour of playing snooker in an airconditioned room with a markee to spot the balls and bring food/drinks etc.

4. 3 litres of diesel, the windscreen washed, a free bottle of water thrown in, all I do is wind the window down and the attendant does it all for me, no need to leave the truck.

How far does 100 baht go in farangistan?

• Like 1

2. One hour massage.

3.One hour of playing snooker in an airconditioned room with a markee to spot the balls and bring food/drinks etc.

4. 3 litres of diesel, the windscreen washed, a free bottle of water thrown in, all I do is wind the window down and the attendant does it all for me, no need to leave the truck.

1lb of Mature Cheddar!

2. One hour massage.

1lb of Mature Cheddar!

Easy to get a definitive answer. Put all your costs in two columns. One for the West and another for Thailand. Start with the expensive things and work down. How much cheddar do you consume per month as opposed to how much do you pay for housing?

Housing has to be most people's number one and so on...... For example my loan payments in the USA would be 44,888 baht per month in Thailand 16,000 for the same thing. Trash collection 2,211 baht in the West in Thailand 120 per month. So far I have saved about 31,979 per month to buy cheese.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I would say if your looking for a cheap lifestyle yes, But to bring up your kid and look after your wife I don't think so mate.

you would find everything in Thailand is substandard just ask your wife she should she should know that ANSWER!!

Is everything in Thailand substandard? Good and bad points about living here, same as most other countries.

Substandard,

Everything to do with housing.

Everything to do with education.

Everything to do with government.

Everything to do with trust, honesty and personal responsibility.

Nah I built my own house and I dont mean hired labourers to do it, its perfect. Cant argue with the rest though!

Housing has to be most people's number one and so on...... For example my loan payments in the USA would be 44,888 baht per month in Thailand 16,000 for the same thing. Trash collection 2,211 baht in the West in Thailand 120 per month. So far I have saved about 31,979 per month to buy cheese.

I can buy a nice, well built house near Orlando for $50k.

Or a badly built house on a much smaller plot near CM for $50k.

(Trying to compare like with like)

I can do it much cheaper in Oregon, but that would be a bit too outdoorsy for most.

(food, clothing, electronic, education all cheaper in USA)

Is Orlando still a safe place to live, eight years ago it wasn't!

And I could buy a nice 1930's style house in Grosse Pointe Woods for under $100k, would I live there, no way, too scary.

Edited by chiang mai

2. One hour massage.

1lb of Mature Cheddar!

You haven't shopped in the UK recently. Maybe get ½lb

I can do it much cheaper in Oregon, but that would be a bit too outdoorsy for most.

Of course everything is personal. I built two houses the same distance from the Gulf of Mexico and Gulf of Thailand so I know for me. I know what $50K buys in Orlando or Detroit and they are about the same. You are being silly to say there is anything livable in the USA under $100,000

I have been living in Asia aprox 25 years. During all that time I always have had had a "life". Now when I am sort of retired, I still do something with my hands or fingers 6 til 8 hours a day. Beers and spirits I am not toucing before the sun is gone. And I have never invested my "lifesavings" in anything in another persons name. Never, and I will never do it. And I am a happy man to be honest.

If you want to see the bad stories, hear them, and see them, talk with people. Despite many farang guys are lying their own situation better, you get som very bad stuff. The thai husband that showed his sexy face tne day after his house, paid by you, is ready. There is the gambling. The family next door if you succeeded in being alowed to live in your own house.

Then there is that cultural thing, people change when they return home. THe very day you and your wonderfull wife during 8 years or so in your home country, change in a sec. Now its her rules that counts. Now she is not asking your for advise, the get her orders from her family.

Whos name is the car in? So its mine.

Whos name is the 14 hectars in. So its mine.

Whos name is the house in, etc etc.

Things start getting a little difficult. You have nothing to do. Almost. The first monht the first beer of the day went donwn 7 PM. The next 6PM, etc etc. And then you need to speak with people who can handle your own laguage, or at least English. And only stupid farangs drink tea or coofee. Its beers, cheap whisky, Coca Cola, etc etc.

And check your self in the mirror. You are 30 eyars older than the one who has her name on everything you have paid for. And after the sight, naken of course, try the scale. 40 kg too much? 60 kg. too much?

And what about the blood pressure.

And you wife se men her own age every day. 50 kg guys with mucles.

Ok, I am tired, carry who have the time.

And no way. I am not bitter. I never lost anything to a woman, but I know hundreds who has.

OK. Just before buy buy you need a lollabay (the spelling ok?)

I German guy saved and saved the last the years. He worked in German, the thaiwoman lived in the village. The house, at that time the biggest in the village, was build, and after so many years at last he could move. And som he did.

Three months after his arrival the people from the bank arrived. Yes, the wonder he found in Koh Samua has gambled and borrowed money like other people do... Yah... what do they do.

He left, he had to, moved in to Udon Thani, stayed at a cheap guesthouse. Crying to everybody who had not got the story 50 times. Six months later he died from a stroke.

And its not eeven a lie.

Welcome to Thailand where our human values dosnt count that much.

I

Edited by Sonny Jones
  • Like 1

Of course everything is personal. I built two houses the same distance from the Gulf of Mexico and Gulf of Thailand so I know for me. I know what $50K buys in Orlando or Detroit and they are about the same. You are being silly to say there is anything livable in the USA under $100,000

How many different insurance policies are required in Florida when you have to insure your house? My understanding is that flood insurance is expensive as is the other house insurance plans. This you cannot compare Apples to Apples with Thailand. And then there is the cost to purchase the land. Oh yea, then you have to put in a septic tank and have good drainage run- off from the heavy rains. You can get all this for $50,000? Very unlikely! Of course there is always those locations on the wrong side of town.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Life here is very good for me. I have a lot of friends who would like to be able to live here, but cannot figure out how to do it. Some of very envious. And if you are fortunate enough to live with a very intelligent women, who speaks great english, like mine does, than the envy is even greater. There are men of all shapes and sizes, and all walks of life on this forum, and living here in Thailand. I have met many who are successful, smart, intellectual, and live wonderful lives here. I am often pleasantly surprised at how intelligent and thoughtful some of the replies and quotes I get on this forum are. It is a testament to the caliber of ex-pates who use it. Some have great Thai women, and some do not. Some are single, some are family men. Most are considerably more content than they were when they lived their quiet lives of desperation in the west. Simply put, life back there does not suit all of us. I hope and pray on a daily basis I never have to live back in the US again. Never. Please no. Of course there were things I liked about life back there. But, even with the lack of conveniences, and culture here, I would take this life, over life back there by a wide, wide margin.

Yes, there are sacrifices we make, by choosing to live here. The lack of access to foodstuffs, the lack of great wilderness areas, highland lakes and rivers, theatre, live jazz, or any real meaningfully music scene, at all, the lack of live dance performance, and other cultural aspects can be frustrating at times. But, we make out choices. The quality of life is way higher for me here, and the general attitude of the local people are a big part of that. Thai people are remarkable in terms of their positivity, their cheerfulness, their lightheartedness, and their humor. I love that. I cannot get any of that back in the US. People there are very dour, and unfulfilled, generally.

In terms of women, maybe I am just very fortunate. I have a woman a couple of decades younger than me (I always preferred younger women, even the entire time I lived in the west, as women my age simply cannot keep up with me in terms of energy and lifestyle, and were way too lethargic for my tastes), very intelligent, very pretty, fit, and funny. She cracks me up daily. Always good humor, always in a pleasant mood, always cheerful and always has my back. She wakes up with a smile on her face! Never, in the decades I lived back there, did I experience that. Oh yes, I experienced the opposite of that frequently. All of this is not exactly something to pity. Not compared to the vast majority of relationships or marriages my friends have in the west, most of which leave ALOT to be desired. And did I mention the 200 LB. gals? Or the sourpuss attitudes? The height of the hurdles? I could go on, and on, but I won't.

And in terms of health care, I am self insured. I put money away, instead of allowing the CEO of an insurance company to buy his 4th villa. If and when the time comes, I have the cash set aside. And unless it is something very serious, I will probably come out ahead. I despise insurance companies, and use them only for my car, and a minimal personal accident policy, with includes 5 million baht in life insurance for my gal. I pay a total of about $100 a month for insurance. I feel like I have my foot halfway up the ass of the insurance executives I used to deal with. That is it, I am proud to say. Life without insurance is a beautiful thing. It is my life, and I do not belong to an insurance company. Some of the friends I have in the states spend a third of their annual income on insurance for their house, cars, life, health, etc, etc. I for one, was not comfortable paying $1000 to $2000 per month for all of that nonsense, and am thrilled on a daily basis to not have to be doing it here.

And in regard to immigration, many of us have multiple entry retirement visas. It could hardly be an easier way to stay here. Stay all year if you like, or come and go as you please. Reporting in every 90 days, to the tune of 15 minutes, is hardly jumping over hoops.

So, make your own judgment, but please try using a little bit of imagination. Many of us have truly fulfilling lives here, that we would not want to trade for anything.

couldn't agree more with you especially the part about women compared to Western women

I think you make a good point about health insurance, I just didn't have the balls to do without but given that quality of healthcare is quite good here and at a reasonable price, I may give it a thought to actually do without and just put the same money away.

Well I guess if you can't attract a younger woman in the West then, sure, Thailand's as good a place as any in Asia to buy one.

Older, Western men living here who seize upon any opportunity to berate Western women as a species are so transparent, it's hilarious. As if they're all 200lbs. Maybe the ones in his catchment area but not everyone had to knock around with porkers.Talk about sour grapes

OK so he couldn't find one that would "smile in the morning" (wonder why) or who could "keep up with him in terms of energy" (some sort of sex God, is he?) but the fact is that HE couldn't find one - not that there aren't any.

Fine, he came here and found a woman, 20 years younger - Good for him.

I'll bet any money that he's paying her an allowance; nothing inherently WRONG with that but is it really any surprise she's good humoured and cheerful ??

• Like 1

2. One hour massage.

this is missleading as you havent accounted for the sums of cash being paid to support the thai parasitic family that most farangs have to

Well I guess if you can't attract a younger woman in the West then, sure, Thailand's as good a place as any in Asia to buy one.

Older, Western men living here who seize upon any opportunity to berate Western women as a species are so transparent, it's hilarious. As if they're all 200lbs. Maybe the ones in his catchment area but not everyone had to knock around with porkers.Talk about sour grapes

OK so he couldn't find one that would "smile in the morning" (wonder why) or who could "keep up with him in terms of energy" (some sort of sex God, is he?) but the fact is that HE couldn't find one - not that there aren't any.

I'll bet any money that he's paying her an allowance; nothing inherently WRONG with that but is it really any surprise she's good humoured and cheerful ??

You strike me as a typical western man, perhaps stuck in a bad relationship, with a difficult woman, who demands a nice lifestyle. It always amuses me when I hear men knocking the lifestyle over here, by insinuating that their women in the west are ok with a free ride, and insisting there is no money involved. There are no free rides. I know of very few high caliber women that are ok being with a guy who cannot provide some security for them, and most of us are ok with that. Most women want that, at least, if they have good self esteem. And if their women are like most women in the world, who are looking for financial security, then we must ask, are they getting a smile every morning, and a cheerful attitude in exchange for providing that security? If not, you may just be making excuses for women who are difficult, large, unattractive, bossy, masculine, and insist on wearing the pants in the family. Maybe. Or maybe you are one of the really lucky ones, who have a great gal, who is kind, supportive, smart, comfortable with her femininity, trim, fit, funny, lighthearted, and ok with you being, and behaving like a man. Hope so.

• Like 1

2. One hour massage.

this is missleading as you havent accounted for the sums of cash being paid to support the thai parasitic family that most farangs have to

Answered that already today in a previous post,

"Why the heck should you be giving money to some idle nephew?

As one married to a Thai, neither I nor my wife give ANY money to her family."

Seeing as you raised the subject, I should also point out NO sin sot was paid, neither does my mrs recieve a monthly stipend.

I also do not live in the middle of nowhere on worthless paddy land I purchased from her mother

It all starts in the selection process, the wheat can very quickly be sorted out from the chaff.

And NO my mrs aint some HiSo Chinese with a Chula degree.

I appreciate those who met their mrs in a place that has chrome poles, or whose relationship started with a financial tranaction may have and usually do have a differing tale (of woe) to tell.

• Like 1

Sitting here at my appartment in Kampala and reading the Thai Forum and that post here. I had to answer it, I have come to Thailand in 1989 and I have fallen in love with it. I could things do which would have been impossible in my Country of Birth. The way life was handled and managed in Thailand fascinated me, since 1991 I am living at the same location which has made it possible to develope the most advanced oxidation technology available. No Official was care about it what that Farang there is doing? My Friend always told them. I don't know, wait until he is finished. I did set up a water system where I made out of the waste water channel in front of the house drinking water. And with the further development of that concept I am today with it in Uganda.

Thailand and the ingenuity of the Thai People make it happen, friends which lasts for 20 years, and we all learned out of it understand the differences in culture and upbringing and it makes the life much richer for everyone. I have used since then Taxis in Bangkok and I have never run in any trouble with them. I have driven from Chiang Rai to Sadao, from Bangkok in to Isan, Kong Chiam on the Mekong, the South and everywhere I have meet hospitality and thai humanity.

At Immigration the service was always polite and in a friendly atmosphere. I lived here in 1992 and was working as Teacher when the political unrest was and the greatest moment for me was the day when the 2 opponents where on their knees in front of the King of Thailand, the outcome we know the 1 was going of to England and the second one was going in to the Forest to meditate. After that the Country was booming, Taxes come done, business was supported and it was a piece of cake to get several million dollar from US investment companies. Universities have sprung up, the Thais jumped in to the bandwagoon of virtual reality, look at the Car manufacturers all the Top Names having their factories here. Electronics, you name it it is all here and I was in the middle of it. New ideas, options and this then mixed with the Thai style of living - that creates an highly interesting kind of people.

1997 then the financial collapse which has lead to my collapse as well. as all the orders where cancelled received during the environmental exhibition though times. The traffic was cut down by 50%, and on Sundays you could buy Ferraris, Rolex, for way down prices, and companies collapsed all over Bangkok. So I closed down and going back home and working there till 2000 and then back to Thailand.

Yep and then the turmoil the Country was driven in to by greedy politicans and power hungrige egomaniacs, and things where getting worst year by year, 2006 then the ouster of the Premierminister and since then the Country is split and turned head down. Now let see what the team in charge right now will do what shown so far they are on the right track, the visa cleanup makes sense in terms of the coming Asean Community by end of 2015, and for that reason alone they clean up now the mess created by all the opposing groups and colorings. The Red Shirt occupation on Ratchprasong intersection, was watched all over the world and where the ignition for Tunesia, Lybia, Egypt. That it would not go out like it did in thailand where the state organs showing restraint for a long time so that got misinterpreted by the pissed of people in those countries. Wrong move the same like it was here, until the military has taken over and that was well planned for months to go as this military cup is totally different from all the previous ones. I watch and see what comes out of it and where does my Home by free choice heading too. Before I left for Africa all the people I have talked too except one Hairdresser are happy with the situation and the clean up done on all levels and ranks especially within the Police force, that this of course as well results in different visa and visit restrictions i clear but with that we will live or otherwise having to leave. Fix your trouble if you are in overstay which for the last 25 years was simply handled in the wrong way. 1 year overstay? You where treated at the airport like an VIP, because you paid the maximum fine of 20.000 baht. Do an overstay at Malaysia and you are in deep shit. In Thailand it was just money. Now that time is over! Thailands reputation is not the best in several areas now they hopefully fix all what is wrong in the Country. So they need to fix it, all I do is to discuss open and honestly about it and we share ideas how to make it better as old customs which are degrading a person or a tribe as low class to treat, so as the whole world changes so changes Thailand and this is what we need to live with otherwise it is living in hell, which to my experience it is for many, especially what I have seen in Pattaya to often as a fact, and even talked to plenty of them. The same story to less retirement money, but at the home countries it would be even less then what it is here.

I love the Country possible for the reason that I treat everyone like I want to be treated, Maybe start to love Thailand and love may come back - hate it and hatred will come back to you! The law of Kharma.

Have a good time.

You strike me as a typical western man, perhaps stuck in a bad relationship, with a difficult woman, who demands a nice lifestyle. It always amuses me when I hear men knocking the lifestyle over here, by insinuating that their women in the west are ok with a free ride, and insisting there is no money involved. There are no free rides. I know of very few high caliber women that are ok being with a guy who cannot provide some security for them, and most of us are ok with that. Most women want that, at least, if they have good self esteem. And if their women are like most women in the world, who are looking for financial security, then we must ask, are they getting a smile every morning, and a cheerful attitude in exchange for providing that security? If not, you may just be making excuses for women who are difficult, large, unattractive, bossy, masculine, and insist on wearing the pants in the family. Maybe. Or maybe you are one of the really lucky ones, who have a great gal, who is kind, supportive, smart, comfortable with her femininity, trim, fit, funny, lighthearted, and ok with you being, and behaving like a man. Hope so.69', 'http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=6772ad4beefada9e6f10a587df05377f&app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=mqquote&t=752316');

So this is your long-winded way of saying that, yes, you ARE paying the intelligent, good-humoured and presumably, very attractive Thai woman 20 years your junior who gives you a big smile in the morning a monthly allowance to be with you?

Like I said, there's nothing inherently wrong with that but you're slagging off the equivalent 20 year younger, intelligent, good-humored and very attractive Western woman for effectively being too expensive for you and that, sir, is SOUR GRAPES!!

To your other point, I'd say this; I know PLENTY of high calibre women who provide security FOR THEMSELVES and want a man secure enough in himself not be feel emasculated or threatened by her independence. I live here in Bangkok and have a Thai woman. Sure she can be difficult but can't all women? She's 10 years younger than me at 35 and she's NEVER asked me for a shekel.

Anyway, my point with you is that you're dressing up what you have with your woman as something it's not.

When you say "There are no free rides", you're basically using the classic "you pay for it one way or another" excuse to legitimize what you're doing. Unfortunately, you're not fooling anyone; not even, I suspect, yourself.

Edited by Cypress Hill

My life is way better here.

I see the arguing about $50K houses, well I'm from Vancouver where average home is $1M and rents start around $1200 a month for a basement suite.

I was stagnating back home and got bored with photography. I'm an advanced amateur. Here revitalized my creativity and I've met a mate and we sketch on weekends together.

For me, moving here has sparked a renewal of my creativity. I love it here!

• Like 2