Halifax vs Nationwide

"It's not a catch. It's either available to you or it is not." Fair enough, just my bad wording I guess, I was simply pointing out the 'condition' that it's only for locals to that building society, good info none the less for some, and certainly worth sorting out before leaving England.

I can also report back that there was no problem re-instating my Nationwide card and certainly no problem with them knowing I'm here long term.

Must have been annoying when they changed their policy of no fee withdrawals.

Halifax Bank is better for transfers. Only £9.50 and best to send in Pounds, not Baht. You should get 53 baht, not 52.

no bank was paying 53 two days ago .52.30 was about the highest you could get on transfer.

Edited by i claudius

Ok, that clears up the 1% query I had as I suspected it was the Visa charge, fair enough I suppose. Re 'paid for' accounts, controversial area of banking (see link) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/bank-accounts/10601361/Complaints-about-paid-for-bank-accounts-reach-400-a-day.html as many of the 'benefits' do not apply anyway.

I also like this article as it covers most of the comments on this link and answers (I think) the OP in full plus many questions raised on other threads re financing our stay in Thailand. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money, I particularly like the sentence : "While the right card is absolutely the best way to spend abroad, the wrong one is absolutely the worst way."

btw, seems Jui-Jitsu missed some off of his list including the Natiionwide CC altho the Halifax Clarity does come out on top. (unless this article is already out of date?)

Hope this is of some help to the OP. Cheers, Ray.

I looked at the flex plus account which is £10 per month but offers free ATM withdrawals and no sterling transaction fees. Whilst the insurance is pretty much worthless in this situation, I concluded the savings made in the aforementioned ATM fees were more than the £10 charge plus they also pay interest when you are in credit.

• Like 1

no bank was paying 53 two days ago .52.30 was about the highest you could get on transfer.

Kasikorn telex opening transfer rate:

19 Aug - 52.95

20 Aug - 52.70

21 Aug - 52.86

I transferred some cash which hit my Kasikorn account on Monday the 18th at 52.94

Kasikorn telex opening transfer rate:

19 Aug - 52.95

20 Aug - 52.70

21 Aug - 52.86

I transferred some cash which hit my Kasikorn account on Monday the 18th at 52.94

K Bank round 2 rate today was 52.5575 so I am happy with 52.36

Ok, that clears up the 1% query I had as I suspected it was the Visa charge, fair enough I suppose. Re 'paid for' accounts, controversial area of banking (see link) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/bank-accounts/10601361/Complaints-about-paid-for-bank-accounts-reach-400-a-day.html as many of the 'benefits' do not apply anyway.

I also like this article as it covers most of the comments on this link and answers (I think) the OP in full plus many questions raised on other threads re financing our stay in Thailand. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money, I particularly like the sentence : "While the right card is absolutely the best way to spend abroad, the wrong one is absolutely the worst way."

btw, seems Jui-Jitsu missed some off of his list including the Natiionwide CC altho the Halifax Clarity does come out on top. (unless this article is already out of date?)

I didn't miss anything. Nationwide Select CC still costs for withdrawals. 2.5% of the withdrawal amount. So even the SAGA Platinum is better at 2% for ATM withdrawals, but no interest if statement balance is paid in full.. Halifax Clarity charges nothing, but interest. So no comparison. It's only rival is the Santander Zero and you cannot apply for those any more.

I looked at the flex plus account which is £10 per month but offers free ATM withdrawals and no sterling transaction fees. Whilst the insurance is pretty much worthless in this situation, I concluded the savings made in the aforementioned ATM fees were more than the £10 charge plus they also pay interest when you are in credit.

Better the N&P BS Gold Classic account. No fees, but free ATM withdrawals. Same with Cumberland BS Plus account if you have an address in their catchment area. Why waste a tenner?

Even a Kalixa Pay Prepaid Mastercard will save you money if you use it for your spends. Supermarket shopping and such. Those would go through today at 52.79.

Needed to move some money this morning. 9:05 instructed HSBC, 11:24 notification from K Bank. Net rate after Thai bank costs = 52.36

Did you include your HSBC fee in that rate? If that was £20 and you transferred £1000, that still takes 1 Baht per Pound off the rate. Taking it to 51.36

Needed to move some money this morning. 9:05 instructed HSBC, 11:24 notification from K Bank. Net rate after Thai bank costs = 52.36

Did you include your HSBC fee in that rate? If that was £20 and you transferred £1000, that still takes 1 Baht per Pound off the rate. Taking it to 51.36

I have no fee with HSBC so 52.36 was the 'pure' net rate.

Had I sent it via Halifax I would have incurred a £9.50 fee and probably a correspondent bank fee of a similar amount.

(I believe that the online fee with HSBC should be £4 - I receive a concession)

I have no fee with HSBC so 52.36 was the 'pure' net rate.

Had I sent it via Halifax I would have incurred a £9.50 fee and probably a correspondent bank fee of a similar amount.

(I believe that the online fee with HSBC should be £4 - I receive a concession)

Of course you are referring to an HSBC Premier account. It is not available to everyone, so is not included in general advice. Don't make up stories about Halifax Bank and a correspondent bank . You know nothing of the sort. ;)