Visa in old passport

.Would like to know if anyone coming from Australia [likely on QANTAS] using new passport with visa and re-entry in cancelled passport has had any problems getting on flight. Any return ticket over 30 days they want to see a visa. Travel agent has been checking with Qantas with no luck so far. Thanks

No problem but once you get to Thailand go to Immigration and they will move your visa into your new passport but don't bother if there's just a short stay left on it.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

Don't know about extensions

Would like to know the rules for Extensions as well.

I'm currently in Thailand on a 1 year extension, Non-immegrant-O, married to a Thai.

I will be leaving Thailand to go working abroad, but need to renew my passport before I go.

I'm allowed to stay in Thailand until the end of November, but will be leaving before.

If I take both passports to the airport, will immigration let me board my plane?

Best regards

MaiRoo

Would like to know the rules for Extensions as well.

I'm currently in Thailand on a 1 year extension, Non-immegrant-O, married to a Thai.

I will be leaving Thailand to go working abroad, but need to renew my passport before I go.

I'm allowed to stay in Thailand until the end of November, but will be leaving before.

If I take both passports to the airport, will immigration let me board my plane?

Best regards

MaiRoo

You should go to immigration to have your stamps transferred.

Immigration at the airport do not have to do it since it is not their job to transfer stamps for extensions and could make problems if you try to do it there.

You should go to immigration to have your stamps transferred.

Immigration at the airport do not have to do it since it is not their job to transfer stamps for extensions and could make problems if you try to do it there.

Yah was afraid of that.

I just want to leave. Don't need the extension anymore.

But I will go to my local immigration first then.

Better safe than sorry.

Thanks (again) UbonJoe

wai2.gif

Edited by MaiRoo

I can only give my own experience - as different provinces often behave differently

Having received my new passport, went in with old/new passports to Chanthaburi Immigration office in Chan city; informed they could not transfer the information and that I needed to go to a border crossing. Not too difficult fortunately just 40km away (but would be very inconvenient to some).

Immigration person there completed a form all in Thai which to be honest I cannot read, handed for me to sign,and a 100 baht fee (I don't care, likely a 'donation')

Took both passports -

Old passport - a half-page stamp detailing new passport number and issue/expiry dates

New passport - half-page stamp which detailed old passport number, the current Visa type and number and its place of issue and expiry, then taken to a more senior officer - another stamp! for signature/verification, both passports handed back.

Was no problem, pleasant service, maybe 5-7min in total.

And no extra charge for the photocopies they took of both old and new ID/front pages from passports and current Visa

I took my old passport with me 'just in case' when i flew to KL with a re-entry permit but it was not asked for, so the new stamp info was adequate.

• Like 1

No problem but once you get to Thailand go to Immigration and they will move your visa into your new passport but don't bother if there's just a short stay left on it.

Visas are never moved from one passport to another. You carry both passports until the visa in the old passport expires.

Only the visa number is written next to your entry stamp with type of visa in your new passport

You are generally asked to show the the visa in the old passport when you enter Thailand.

I certainly had my retirement extension moved into my new passport.

It was free too.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Visas are never moved from one passport to another. You carry both passports until the visa in the old passport expires.

Only the visa number is written next to your entry stamp with type of visa in your new passport

You are generally asked to show the the visa in the old passport when you enter Thailand.

It was free too.

My experience also.

New passport sent to me by post from UK, Samui immigration insisted I needed a letter from British Embassy confirming legitimacy of passport and then immigration transferred my retirement extension along with stamps that referenced my original O visa and my old passprt details. Charged 100 Bt and had to make 3 visits.

First to be told 'go away come back with Embassy letter', second to apply for transfer of stamps, third to collect newly stamped passport. Time consuming and a bit frustrating but job got done.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It was free too.

My experience also.

New passport sent to me by post from UK, Samui immigration insisted I needed a letter from British Embassy confirming legitimacy of passport and then immigration transferred my retirement extension along with stamps that referenced my original O visa and my old passprt details. Charged 100 Bt and had to make 3 visits.

First to be told 'go away come back with Embassy letter', second to apply for transfer of stamps, third to collect newly stamped passport. Time consuming and a bit frustrating but job got done.

Much easier, and cheaper, in Jomtiem.

• Like 1

Wrong, I moved mine with no problem at Chiang Mai. A total of two plus pages of stamps.

• Like 1

Wrong, I moved mine with no problem at Chiang Mai. A total of two plus pages of stamps.

You apparently have an extension of stay from immigration that your are calling a visa. Visas from a embassy or consulate are not transferred.

• Like 2

I had a new UK passport back in 2006, the immigration in Chiang Mai made a new entry in the new passport detailing the original entry into Thailand (2004) and a few other stamps detailing the 1 year extensions. Basically, your new passport will give a complete history of when you first entered into Thailand. Mine took up one page.

I cannot remember if I was charged for this, if I was then it was next to nothing.

The problem Brits have at the minute is actually getting a new passport in anything less than 3-4 months! It is an absolute disgrace.

We really need to get 2 passports if we need to travel.

I work in China and have to travel a lot, my UK passport is almost full, but valid for more than one year, all of my residence permits and entry visas for China and Thailand are in this passport. The current situation requires me to book an appointment with some 3rd party company in Bangkok, (3 weeks minimum waiting time and a minimum of 8 weeks if I do not show for the original appointment) This means a trip from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

Once I apply for the new passport they cancel the old one so I can no longer travel, then they estimate 6-9 weeks for the new passport, then another trip to Bangkok to pick it up.

Makes me wonder what they are paying the British Embassy in Thailand and the British Consul in Chiang Mai to do?

As for the passport office in the UK and the backlog and the possibility now of strikes, I think the best solution would be to round them all up very early in the morning from their beds and line the entire lot of them up against a wall and be done with these workshy jobsworths once and for all!

I have not come from Australia but from Europe. No problem I had my retirement visa and Re- entry visa on my old passport. When I got my new passport I told the officer not to make hole in my visa page, so they just canceled the first page and the cover. Once in Immigration in pattaya they transfer the visa from your old passport to the new one.

You apparently have an extension of stay from immigration that your are calling a visa. Visas from a embassy or consulate are not transferred.

Sorry don't agree with you, My visa, an 'O', was issued in London and WAS transferred. In the 18 plus years I have been here never had a problem with changing passports. And yes I have a retirement permit and that also was changed at the same time.

note; u need go to the immigration where the extension/re entry permit was issued NOT any immigration ( I was told this when i tired to move my Phuket extension/ re entry in Bangkok immigration)

• Like 1

note; u need go to the immigration where the extension/re entry permit was issued NOT any immigration ( I was told this when i tired to move my Phuket extension/ re entry in Bangkok immigration)

Correct because they will have all the records.

A visa is issued outside of Thailand. They do not transfer the Visa into your new passport, you only get the details of the visa stamped in your new passport. You 'must' carry the old passport with you if you leave and then re-enter Thailand, by land or by air.

Tomorrow I will scan my 'Visa' in my old passport and the details of that Visa stamped in my new passport. It is not a transfer of the 'Visa' it is a stamp that explains that although your old passport is no longer valid the 'Visa' is still valid.

When you enter Thailand you write the 'Visa' details on the entry card and they 'will' ask for the old passport so they can see the still valid 'Visa' in your old 'expired' passport. If you can't show them the old 'expired' passport you can't prove you have a still valid 'Visa' in it.

When you are going to Immigration in Thailand at your local Immigration office to get all the details transferred to your 'New' passport you are on an 'Extension of stay'. Not a 'Visa'

A visa is issued outside of Thailand. They do not transfer the Visa into your new passport, you only get the details of the visa stamped in your new passport. You 'must' carry the old passport with you if you leave and then re-enter Thailand, by land or by air.

Tomorrow I will scan my 'Visa' in my old passport and the details of that Visa stamped in my new passport. It is not a transfer of the 'Visa' it is a stamp that explains that although your old passport is no longer valid the 'Visa' is still valid.

When you enter Thailand you write the 'Visa' details on the entry card and they 'will' ask for the old passport so they can see the still valid 'Visa' in your old 'expired' passport. If you can't show them the old 'expired' passport you can't prove you have a still valid 'Visa' in it.

When you are going to Immigration in Thailand at your local Immigration office to get all the details transferred to your 'New' passport you are on an 'Extension of stay'. Not a 'Visa'

Sorry don't agree with you. Transferred my 'O' with no problems and no I do not have to carry my old passport. I was not on a 'extension of stay'.

Sorry don't agree with you. Transferred my 'O' with no problems and no I do not have to carry my old passport. I was not on a 'extension of stay'.

I know what you are saying, but, I am trying to explain that they don't put a full page sticker that you get from an Embassy or Consulate outside Thailand into your new passport, yes they transfer the details, but as someone who is in and out of Thailand every 3 or 4 weeks for the past few years and always on an 0 multi entry I am only explaining the difference between Extension of Stay and a Visa.

Many get confused and I'm only trying to help, might save someone some heartache somewhere.wai.gif

I transferred my extension of stay (non-O ) from my old passport to my new one at Chaeng Wattana. It was an all day affair. There were 3 people there to do it. Two women were working one desk. They had to do everything by hand. Their computers were of no help. They wrote down details I several books. They wrote all of the details from my previous visas and extensions of stay into 2 pages of my new passport. This was all done by hand at a snail's pace while the two women sat there and gossipedd. It was really annoying, especially when my son got fussy. I think it took about 6 hours. It was free if I recall correctly.

I had a new UK passport back in 2006, the immigration in Chiang Mai made a new entry in the new passport detailing the original entry into Thailand (2004) and a few other stamps detailing the 1 year extensions. Basically, your new passport will give a complete history of when you first entered into Thailand. Mine took up one page.

I cannot remember if I was charged for this, if I was then it was next to nothing.

The problem Brits have at the minute is actually getting a new passport in anything less than 3-4 months! It is an absolute disgrace.

We really need to get 2 passports if we need to travel.

I work in China and have to travel a lot, my UK passport is almost full, but valid for more than one year, all of my residence permits and entry visas for China and Thailand are in this passport. The current situation requires me to book an appointment with some 3rd party company in Bangkok, (3 weeks minimum waiting time and a minimum of 8 weeks if I do not show for the original appointment) This means a trip from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

Once I apply for the new passport they cancel the old one so I can no longer travel, then they estimate 6-9 weeks for the new passport, then another trip to Bangkok to pick it up.

Makes me wonder what they are paying the British Embassy in Thailand and the British Consul in Chiang Mai to do?

As for the passport office in the UK and the backlog and the possibility now of strikes, I think the best solution would be to round them all up very early in the morning from their beds and line the entire lot of them up against a wall and be done with these workshy jobsworths once and for all!

Blame the British Government, not the Embassies, it's the the Government who transferred overseas passport issue from the Foreign Office (FCO) to the Home Office HMPO late last year to 'save money and reduce identity theft'; this was when all the problems started.

Current turn around from the actual application in BKK to collection is being reported as 10 weeks average and rarely less, worst case reported to date in Thailand is 18 weeks.

The whole train wreck of a fiasco has turned into a complete cluster f...k, all based on the notion of reducing identity theft, but actually allowing a shady foreign owned agency to snoop/sniff around our new passports before they then pass then on to us - disgusting.

Many are now faced with huge inconvenience, cost and overstay. The two separate return journeys required to BKK are a pain in the a..e to say the least when combined with having no valid travel document for the best part of three months - appalling..

In my opinion it should be the head of HMPO, Mr Paul 'No problem here' Pugh, who should be up against the wall first, to be fired with no golden parachute, just a P45.

I agree wholeheartedly, it took me 4 Months for new passport! Does anybody know if somebody else other then the British Embassy can Certify a Passport, I am sick of paying their obscene fees, 2700Bt for this Service just for a stamp and Signature, also 3000 bt for Marriage Affirmation, I mean really, it is over the top.

The Australian Embassy fees are all AU$20. much more reasonable,

Anybody?.

I agree wholeheartedly, it took me 4 Months for new passport! Does anybody know if somebody else other then the British Embassy can Certify a Passport, I am sick of paying their obscene fees, 2700Bt for this Service just for a stamp and Signature, also 3000 bt for Marriage Affirmation, I mean really, it is over the top.

Anybody?.

They don't charge for the letter needed for immigration when you get a new passport. It can even be arranged for them to mail to you.

Anybody?.

They don't charge for the letter needed for immigration when you get a new passport. It can even be arranged for them to mail to you.

Yes understand that, but talking about getting a certified copy of passport for Immigration, (Marriage Extension) Ubonjoe.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Anybody?.

Yes understand that, but talking about getting a certified copy of passport for Immigration, (Marriage Extension) Ubonjoe.

You don't need a certified copy of your passport for an extension of permission to stay based on Thai family (spouse) - National Police Order 327/2557 Case 2.18.