Degree in Education - In Search For Your Opinion

Actually I would chime in here, unless the degree is accredited somehow back home I wouldn't bother with any Thai degree of any kind. Unless you're pretty much certain that you'll stay here.

The degrees here are accredited by the M.O.E . They are acceptable anywhere in the world! It is no different to an accredited degree from the UK or USA (as far as accreditation) if an employer would accept it and rate it is up to the employer, same as any degree!

Actually I would chime in here, unless the degree is accredited somehow back home I wouldn't bother with any Thai degree of any kind. Unless you're pretty much certain that you'll stay here.

The degrees here are accredited by the M.O.E . They are acceptable anywhere in the world! It is no different to an accredited degree from the UK or USA (as far as accreditation) if an employer would accept it and rate it is up to the employer, same as any degree!

Keep telling yourself that, Sparky. Try to take your fancy Thai bachelors degree into other EFL jobs in the world see how quickly you get rejected. Take it to the states and see you get hired. You can use it to get into masters programs back home, but that's about the worth of it.

You gotta be kidding! A German friend of mine,an English teacher, working for the government in Germany, married to a high school English teacher in Ubon Ratchathani was planning to take his Thai wife to Germany, to live there.

As they're not old enough to retire, he's trying to find a job for her. With her degrees and all that bs.

Then they decided it would be better if both stay in their countries until retirement age, and meet each other on holidays.

He could find two positions for his Thai wife. 1. A waitress at a highway restaurant. 2. A maid working for a hotel, making beds, cleaning, etc...

So much what a degree from this country means in other,more developed countries.

You gotta be kidding! A German friend of mine,an English teacher, working for the government in Germany, married to a high school English teacher in Ubon Ratchathani was planning to take his Thai wife to Germany, to live there.

As they're not old enough to retire, he's trying to find a job for her. With her degrees and all that bs.

Then they decided it would be better if both stay in their countries until retirement age, and meet each other on holidays.

He could find two positions for his Thai wife. 1. A waitress at a highway restaurant. 2. A maid working for a hotel, making beds, cleaning, etc...

So much what a degree from this country means in other,more developed countries.

This post is . Does she speak fluent German? If not THAT'S more likely the reason for not obtaining a decent job!

Also if the guy is a licensed teacher why doesn't he come and get a job in an international school here?

Edited by casualbiker

This post is . Does she speak fluent German? If not THAT'S more likely the reason for not obtaining a decent job!

Also if the guy is a licensed teacher why doesn't he come and get a job in an international school here?

Her German isn't that bad, so is her English. but people in Europe know about the "quality" of a degree, made in Thailand.

What other chances would a Thai English teacher ( with an English/German ability of a six year old native speaker) have to get employment anywhere in Europe right now?

Do you really think that a Thai English teacher would get a decent job at a German school? The guy's a licensed teacher and I had to explain to him how much money he'll be able to make.

Then he decided to wait until he gets his full retirement cash. His wife will do the same and if both are still alive they'll live happily together. If...When...\

Something I could never understand was that they've got a little kid together and he visits his son from time to time, or she comes to Germany.

People in Europe and elsewhere use toilet paper for what it was made. That's exactly what you can do with such a degree from Thailand, when looking for a job in Europe, or the States.

A befriended lawyer was asking me if I wouldn't like to have a Doctorate degree.

A "real" one, signed by all who hold up their hands. 500 K and you can have a Dr. in front of your name. But does it help you?

Edited by lostinisaan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite a familiar with this course, I know Filipinos who did a similar course last years, both are administered here in Thailand by UniTEFL. If you look on their website it shows details of Filipino professors meeting with people at Khurusapa, and I looked up both of these in the OCSC database, they are accepted. The one through Philippine Women's University was for Filipinos only, this one is open to all.

As to the rumours of needing an education degree to teach English here in Thailand in future, I very much doubt this will be implemented in the near term. Think about it, it's totally impractical, most teachers would become ineligible and leave, and those who go to the trouble will not stick around for $1,000 a month salaries. There would a crisis in the education department, a severe lack of English teachers. I really would't worry about it. On their website it says; a general degree and a diploma in teaching. I think they might reduce the licence waiver to 2 years only, which is reasonable, enough time to get the diploma. It's not too much to ask for that teacher's take a one-year course, part-time, costing about $3-4,000. It's a pity their information is so inconsistent and unclear.

I'm quite a familiar with this course, I know Filipinos who did a similar course last years, both are administered here in Thailand by UniTEFL. If you look on their website it shows details of Filipino professors meeting with people at Khurusapa, and I looked up both of these in the OCSC database, they are accepted. The one through Philippine Women's University was for Filipinos only, this one is open to all.

As to the rumours of needing an education degree to teach English here in Thailand in future, I very much doubt this will be implemented in the near term. Think about it, it's totally impractical, most teachers would become ineligible and leave, and those who go to the trouble will not stick around for $1,000 a month salaries. There would a crisis in the education department, a severe lack of English teachers. I really would't worry about it. On their website it says; a general degree and a diploma in teaching. I think they might reduce the licence waiver to 2 years only, which is reasonable, enough time to get the diploma. It's not too much to ask for that teacher's take a one-year course, part-time, costing about $3-4,000. It's a pity their information is so inconsistent and unclear.

Actually if the salary is $1000 a month (for a ten month contract more than likely) then I would say asking teachers to spend $4000 is a pretty significant amount. Especially for a teaching diploma that may have limited applicability outside of Thailand.

I sort of doubt that the education degree thing would fly here too though, it seems a lot of native teachers have had it in Thailand, time to throw open the doors more so to non-NES I guess.

• 2 months later...

Check out the University of Beau on google and see how many schools have Cameroon's teaching, that have a degree from this place. A shocking amount! Just in my small town that I live there are at least six. No need to go to Khoa san road, as they have all they need to make their own from their chief forger here in Thailand.