To do it or not to do it....spend it all.

Thanasi

if you move there you will become burnt out and peed off with it ,stick to regular visits is best ,you cant live among the nutters there for any length of time ,without going doolally or jumping over the balcony

Or stay too long on Thai visa

You will surely become jaded

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post commenting on moderator actions removed

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great idea an you have planned! Put your money into a guaranteed annuity in Hong Kong through a major bank which will give you a fixed income tax free 10 years from now so if everything goes pear shaped you will have an income for your old age.

Buy a cheap house/condo on the Darkside not in Pattaya and set a budget for the next 10 years. You will lose the plot living in downtown Pats.

Don't buy any houses in Isaan.

I can vouch for the last piece of advice . I built a house in Udon in 2000.Its now probably full of my ex-wife and her mates playing cards,drinking Lao Khao and smoking meth. I got the kids though

• Like 1

Most advises have been good and honest in my opinion.

Since you managed to be successful in your working life one must assume that your are a fairly intelligent person.

You will very likely be bored as hell after 1-2 years living your dream unless you are some kind of a man mymfoman that only thinks about doing it all the time and you might drink yourself into an early grave. Not much fun sitting in the go-go's drinking soda pops.

I seen a few doing just so and it's really sad to watch, they were misable/lonely old buggers, some ended going home, some kept going until they died.

If possible slow down work wise but keep it if you can and try spending more time in Pattaya, perhaps rent an apartment.

Yes don't burn your bridges, DON'T tell Anybody about your money, keep most of your money outside of Thailand and don't fell in love with a hooker, there are many good beautiful girls here.

Get a healthy hobby if you come over here permanently, golf, traveling or something like that.

• Like 2

Got to ask.

Are you ready to retire?

Long time members here may remember Udon John, he went back to Oz hoping to get medical help after living in Thailand for many years only to spend a long time in pain prior to his ultimate demise.

Anyone care to share Udon John's story? Or if already told, post a link?

If your sole aspiration is cuddling up with bar girls and drinking beer, it will turn sour on you quickly. Believe me, I am not against that kind of entertainment, as long as it is not your raison d'etre. In any case, you caught the bug, and you will not rest at night until you make the big move. You do not qualify for retirement, and it would be your biggest mistake to get married, with your sights aimed towards the bar scene. Therefore, a student visa for long stay will be what you want. I would suggest you take your girls to a hotel, and rent a private home/condo for yourself. That will be your fortress. Keep it strong, and girl free. Use a scooter at first...buy a good second hand one. Do not buy a condo...or fall for the sin sod scheme. If you bar fine, try out just getting one girl from one bar. The second time, go to another bar for the bar fine. Take them to different hotels and pay for the by the hour. Most leave early in the morning anyways, and you will probably not check in until late at night. Never take them home...and never admit you are long staying here. You will be happier, for longer. Taking them to short timer hotels puts them in the right perspective...business only. Sounds expensive, but cheaper than marriage, or getting your condo under scrutiny by their boyfriends (avoid the setup).

When the bars finally take their toll on you....move to a different town for a while and dry out. Perhaps get a steady girl. Sow your oats first.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

50 seems a bit young. Two holidays a year in LOS did for me till I passed 60.

If the hotties are important, they will cost a LOT more in a few years time than they do now.

You also need medical cover, which can be expensive and won't be getting cheaper.

Whatever, just resist the temptation to get married. Then it becomes a whole new ball game.

Maybe you could get lucky and find thai wife who works for the thai gov and still lets you go for fun at pattaya with those hotties. Free medical insurance included in that package. Or maybe you can even find wife who wants to share your hotties? Anything is possible in thialand. I should know. I found it all here.

After all! Who will be there taking care of you when your too old to get it up? A bar girl? I doubt it.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Working out whether you can financially afford this lifestyle may be the first step, but there is much more involved in the process.

The lifestyle you seem to be enraptured with is unsustainable over the long-term. Most people who adopt the lifestyle you've described burn out either financially, emotionally, mentally or physically long before they otherwise would.

Moving to Thailand because you are attracted to its people, culture, music, religion, food, language, weather, or scenery are all good reasons to move here.

Moving to Thailand because you think it's a sexual candy store is probably the WORST possible reason I can think of to move here.

• Like 2

I applaud the op for his candour and I want to echo the sentiments of others..... You seem like a happy go lucky guy, same as me. A little too open about your wealth maybe? I fear for your safety in Thailand, Philippines or anywhere in South East Asia for that matter. Remember, there are many others who let on about their money to someone, who told someone else and who have disappeared or ended up in the morgue due to an 'unfortunate accident' which saw their money disappear. A friend of mine in Chiang Mai was saved only because a girl broke up with the would be assassin & went to the police to report his plans. He had befriended my mate over 4 years and had asked my mate to hold his money for him, just so he could be there when he opened the safe to retrieve it. He planned to stab him, empty the safe and burn down the house to mask the murder & robbery.

I did what you are contemplating so don't be put off, just be careful and as others have said, leave your money at home where it's safe, keep strong links with home, maintain a place to go back to. No rules exist that force you to live in only one country. Try the girls in Indonesia, Philippines, Cambodia, Laos, even China. If Pattaya is still so attractive, lease a condo for a year or two. Other friends lost their homes here when Thailand changed the law on foreign ownership. The government just took them, they could do it again with condos so I suggest you don't buy, especially in the middle of the present political upheaval, most of which is hidden from view.....

There are good people here as well as bad. Find someone you trust to discuss your personal stuff with, don't share it on here or any other public forum. You might as well stand in the street and say: Here I am, I'm loaded, please rob me"...

OP, I would test the waters with at least a 6 month visit before I commit. Obviously rent a house or condo. Consult with a financial planner regarding your finances, they will make suggestions many people overlook. Going to maintain a residence in your home country, going to buy a car here, medical insurance, etc.?..... all important considerations.

Go for it mate.

Your finances are ample to live a quality life.

Be aware though that Pattaya is changing. In the last 20 years drastic changes have occurred. Quality is not what it was, in my view. And who knows how the next 20 years will unwind.

You certainly can find "Nirvana" !!

Good luck

Yes, be afraid, VERY AFRAID of the incredible decline in quality. Alert, knowledgeable members have discovered sandbags on the beach, an unattractive a huge truck pump installed at the south end of the promenade by the sewage station, and just all kinds of problems that make life intolerable. For example,

True life is what you make it but Pattaya has numerous open ditches in sidewalks and roads, smog, you walk the beach and your feet are black, garbage everywhere, smelly open drains and crazy drivers. Not to mention baht busses have gotten even crazier and clearly passenger safety is irrelevant. So pattaya has air quality issues, water issue , smelly and garbage everywhere.

All the above is true but I return because of some of the people, restaurants and clubs. Those are diminishing daily as well. Just an honest assessment ....

So there you are. Fortunately I've found that there IS an affordable solution, given here:

The Solution

Suggest you read through that entire thread before making a decision. Good luck.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great idea an you have planned! Put your money into a guaranteed annuity in Hong Kong through a major bank which will give you a fixed income tax free 10 years from now so if everything goes pear shaped you will have an income for your old age.

Buy a cheap house/condo on the Darkside not in Pattaya and set a budget for the next 10 years. You will lose the plot living in downtown Pats.

I can vouch for the last piece of advice . I built a house in Udon in 2000.Its now probably full of my ex-wife and her mates playing cards,drinking Lao Khao and smoking meth. I got the kids though

This may come as a surprise to you but not everyones relationship breaks down. We don't all marry gambling, whisky drinking, meth smoking Thai woman..

Edited by Pattaya Pat

This may come as a surprise to you but not everyones relationship breaks down. We don't all marry gambling, whisky drinking, meth smoking Thai woman..

Calm down love , it was meant tongue in cheek you happy bunny you

• Like 1

Your quite right but a hell of a lot do so you cant generalise.

For My three pence worth I had the same outlook as the Op many years ago, came to Patts loved it for almost 8 years I think I did well lasting that long, then in the end I'd had enough of all the high life and it was a case of get out or crack up.

I got out moved to a city in central Thailand and have never looked back the quieter but not dead life is now for me. I still go back to Patts was there only a week ago for 5 night's but for me that was enough.

It can work for some peeps and I hope it does in your case but you have to have an open mind an be ready to change it.

If I can give you just one tip don't buy anything accommodation wise rent then you will be able at the drop of the hat to move on and do what ever you like as things or you change. And things do change trust me.

• Like 1

Calm down love , it was meant tongue in cheek you happy bunny you

Of course it was laugh.png

If you plan on living here I'd say you have enough,Iv'e known other blokes that came at 48-50 and ran out ,so they had to go back and work.i don't know what the cost of living in OZ is but I konw it's a lot more than here and I believe you have to live in OZ for 2 years to get your pension.Lets not forget what this lifestyle does to ones health so think about it.

It all depends on the person.

General advice is okay but everyones situation is different.

I spend around half the year in Patts but I would go crazy if I had to stay all the time.

I come and go a few months here and there.

I would only retire in Patts full time if I couldn't afford a decent life in Australia.

Coming and going is the way to go if you can afford it that way you get the best of both worlds.

A lot of guys I know do the same thing.

Keep making more money would be my advice and try to schedule more trips to satisfy your desires.

40k a year even in Thailand is not that much. I couldn't live on that and I don't drink a lot. I am not saying it cant be done but expenses just seem to come up especially if you have a thai partner but you end up spending on things you don't think about like emergency trips back home and health issues as you get older. All sorts of things seem to come up that you have never really considered.

• Like 1

Despite what some posters have said about needing to marry to have someone to take care of you when you get old, there are other ways to do. You can pay people to take care of you. Live-in house keepers, round-the-clock nurses, etc. are available.

OP, you are not different to many others who have discovered Pattaya and local delights.

Many have even married to one of those delights, even though they would never admit to it.

Putting aside cultural differences, language barriers, age difference and energy levels, you may find that your estimations would be blown way out of proportions

Those sweet delights are far from being sweet and to keep one, you would have to "help" her with ridiculous amount of money one way or another.

You then need to consider if you prepared to spend the rest of your life drinking on daily basis?

Because, staying home would be boring, dinner with friends(which are hard to find) would end up with having a few. go looking for a delight requires drinking and staying with a delight also requires drinking.

Now, putting all of that aside, Thailand is very different to what it appears to a naked eye.

Sure, come over to retire, sure enjoy the delights, BUT change the reason for moving over.

Move over to enjoy your life and enjoy money earned, do not move over to give away all the money earned.

Set tight budget for the delights and donot break away from it, no matter what she says. And if you loose her, do not worry plenty more where she came from.

Do not make friends with old, know it all expats,-they are miserable, moneyless parasites.

Do not lend money to expat from any country thinking they would return-they would not

I am 40, moved to Thailand at the age of 26-27.

My life has changed, but what kept me in tune was NOT hanging around expats and NOT hanging around the delights.

I enjoy my drinks out, i enjoy the delights, but all their financial problems stay theirs.

• Like 1

Im back, thanks for all your replies, lots of up down sideways and any which way but loose opinions lol. I will try and answer them all. The main reason for the move is change of scenery/lifestyle, not just the easy sex, but that helps lol, Thai food, travel ( yes i will be moving around the country when Patts gets boring eventually, RENT not buy), new experiences, warm weather, just to relax and enjoy the fruits of my hard earned labour....... Travel back to oz every year for afew months for a break see family, friends, work abit, like one big long holiday, pension sorted.... Fall in love bwahahah, not likely, in lust definitely, i can be a cold hearted tight arsed basted if i have to be..... I drink once a week if that at home, the plan is two nights a week parting in Patts relax the rest.......I want to keep myself fit and healthy, good food, walk everywhere, swimming, workouts.I can easily just sit on the balcony reading, computer, DVDs, learn to speak Thai, just sitting around people watching, plenty of things to do to keep bordem at bay. Maybe i mite settle down with someone one day, who knows but strictly under my terms. Well there you go, if it gets to monotonous il move some place else but in the mean time its Patts or bust lol...........

Sounds great. Go for it! Pattaya's a great place to live. I always feel lucky I could make the move here some years ago.

Sounds great. Go for it! Pattaya's a great place to live. I always feel lucky I could make the move here some years ago.

It is and I fell lucky too that I have the option to move here when around 40 years old (52 and still working (off-shore))

I been living in Bangkok and on Phuket and I prefer Pattaya I really do.

If this high speed train link BKk-Pattaya will be build one day you can go shopping in BKK in the morning and be back in Pattaya for dinner, not bad at all.

If the hotties are important, they will cost a LOT more in a few years time than they do now.

You also need medical cover, which can be expensive and won't be getting cheaper.

Whatever, just resist the temptation to get married. Then it becomes a whole new ball game.

I retired at 50, not too young, but young for Thailand. If the OP is getting more money, the older he gets, whats the problem. He can afford a good medical scheme, many here dont have any schemes.He can get married to the right lady, why does one have to not get married???????, she will be working,or thats what his aim should be.

If he makes the wrong decision he can go anywhere he wants after.,or even work again.

go for it my man

Despite what some posters have said about needing to marry to have someone to take care of you when you get old, there are other ways to do. You can pay people to take care of you. Live-in house keepers, round-the-clock nurses, etc. are available.

Nice to know that you are so rich. However what are those of us that aren't to do?

I retired at 50, not too young, but young for Thailand. If the OP is getting more money, the older he gets, whats the problem. He can afford a good medical scheme, many here dont have any schemes.He can get married to the right lady, why does one have to not get married???????, she will be working,or thats what his aim should be.

If he makes the wrong decision he can go anywhere he wants after.,or even work again.

go for it my man

<why does one have to not get married???????,>

I can only assume that you are not married to a Thai girl, or are to that mythical hiso Chinese Thai with rich parents that pay YOU to live with their daughter smile.png .

go for it my man

<why does one have to not get married???????,>

I can only assume that you are not married to a Thai girl, or are to that mythical hiso Chinese Thai with rich parents that pay YOU to live with their daughter smile.png .

Correct Sir, and if you read "Mr. Bernard Flints" posts you will know he is 62, and has a wonderful Thai "Girlfriend" that does not want his money. These are his words and not mine.