Acer laptop warranty question...

4evermaat

I bought an acer v3-471g notebook from Tesco a little over a year ago; it has a 2 year warranty. I went back into the tesco with a copy of the original receipt

to change out the power adapter which is working intermittently. At first it was "only one year warranty". After I insisted on it being two years, they called out a supervisor or two and the responses varied:

"tesco will only offer one year"

"we call acer they said accessory only 1 year, notebook 2 year" (not sure if they called tesco corporate or acer company)

Finally someone offered to exchange original broken acer adapter for a (used) aftermarket adapter that was a lower wattage/voltage than the OEM Acer adapter. They did test it on the laptop to confirm with the battery removed that the replacement adapter would work.I felt uncomfortable about that exchange and I decided to hold off on the copy exchange to gather some more information and experience from some other users here who have had to do warranty claims with Acer.

I checked http://register.acer.co.th/WarrantyCheck/warr_chk.aspx to check the warranty on the laptop and it is indeed well within the 2 year period, from both the manufacturer date and my receipt. I'm planning to check with an actual acer authorized service provider in the town first, but wanted to make sure I was armed with as much info as possible. Normally tesco is pretty good if you are within warranty period.

Any suggestions?

You should have no problem with this.

Just find a convenient <<actual acer authorized service provider>>

Tesco will give full refund on IT stuff returned in first week; and can generally replace IT stuff in the first year.

I had a Samsung hard drive (purchased in Trat) that died after a year. After two and a half years

(with six months remaining on the warranty), a computer reseller (in Uttaradit) arranged a replacement.

Cost me 100B. AA

Took my Acer Laptop (3 years old) to the Acer service centre at Fortune Town. The first thing they do is enter the serial number in their computer and tell you what warranty, if any, is on it. I purchased my laptop in the U.K. but they still had all its details here. Should settle any disagreement.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You should have no problem with this.

Just find a convenient <<actual acer authorized service provider>>

Tesco will give full refund on IT stuff returned in first week; and can generally replace IT stuff in the first year.

I had a Samsung hard drive (purchased in Trat) that died after a year. After two and a half years

(with six months remaining on the warranty), a computer reseller (in Uttaradit) arranged a replacement.

Cost me 100B. AA

Took my Acer Laptop (3 years old) to the Acer service centre at Fortune Town. The first thing they do is enter the serial number in their computer and tell you what warranty, if any, is on it. I purchased my laptop in the U.K. but they still had all its details here. Should settle any disagreement.

The main problem is that Chumphon does not appear to have an Acer owned service center; I would have used that place first. I am finding out from them where I can get 'authorized service' in the area.

I did check with a different shop before returning to Tesco which claimed to be 'Authorized Acer repair center'. First they said I had to buy a new power adapter (not covered). Then when I asked them to check the warranty, they checked and said they could send it to bangkok for a replacement. However, the sales receipt must have the serial number on it along with the price. (the original thermal receipt only had the general product description, cut off to fit on one line and the price). Local Tesco staff refused to generate a new receipt or document with the serial number.

Tesco staff in this case was very marginal with their help. At first they claim the warranty was only for one year. Then they acknowledge the warranty is for two year, but it does not cover accessories. They considered the battery/power adapter to be an accessory. On the suggestion of a friend, he said to take the replacement power adapter (aftermarket) that Tesco offered 'for free' and let them keep the old adapter for now.

I have to now get clarification from Acer what the warranty covers, then [assuming I was correct that I do have warranty coverage that INCLUDES the power adapter] complain to Tesco corporate if necessary. The most frustrating aspect of this is that it seems to be a simple fix but a mix up in what the warranty covers for my model notebook. I don't normally get angry but for some reason this particular incident is bothering me a lot.