Man confronts a Pattaya mall's 'VIP' misuse of disabled parking (VIDEO)

webfact

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you expect from these drivers? They don't give way to emergency vehicles and they block yellow box junctions. Not surprising at all they also park at disabled car park spaces.

They should not be called "VIP" or "High So". This does not make sense. They are just scumbags with money, most of the time earned illegally.

Or maybe their window tinting is so black they could not see the disabled parking sign?

As a wheelchair user in Thailand with a Thai issued blue wheelchair sticker on my windscreen. I can comment that in 99% of the time it makes no difference. Disabled parking spots and disabled access has to be provided by law here in Thailand. However as we all know having a law on the books and having that law enforced are very different. The disabled parking problem at Central Pattaya is not unusual and happens in a lot of places. Only very few places with disabled parking will really try to keep the spaces just for disabled. I quite often have to take two normal parking spaces to ensure I can get my door open enough to get in and out of the car.

The biggest problem here is that the people really in most cases do not know or understand the problems concerning wheelchair use here. Most people will help.

With all the above said it still really winds me up when I see the very expensive cars parked in the disabled spots. I did get it wrong once, I complained to security about the brand new merc parked in the disabled spot and as I was doing so along came this guy in a wheelchair. He was a lawyer and had just had his new car converted for hand controls. I asked home where was his blue sticker and he said he didn't know you could get them in Thailand. I pointed him in the direction of Chonburi traffic.

With all the above said, I am here in Thailand because this is where I want to be eventually the level of education will be such that the majority of the people will also be pissed off at the selfish me me me stuff the rich hi so pull and won't accept it any more. Until then you just have to make the best of what you have in the here and now.

• Like 1

I am disabled (paralyzedfrom the waist down)

A few weeks ago,my wife parked in disabled bay at tesco Khonkaen. I was in the car wife in the store Thai man stops, tells me he always parks in this spot, farangs cannot park here. Wife comes out of store,he starts mouthing of at her this is my parking bay. My wife went back in the store other drivers by now are not happy they cannot get passed.

A crazy situation caused by a selfish prat who did not want to walk a few meters.

If you were just sat in the car, and your wife was in the store, isn't this in itself a misuse of a disabled parking spot?! She has no need to park there, other than to abuse a privilege. What happens if a disabled driver genuinely needed that spot?

Just as selfish, in my opinion.

Good point.

The disabled guy didn't need a disabled spot when his wife wasn't handicapped.

Bangkok and Thailand in general are terrible places to be in a wheel chair or otherwise disabled getting around. It is just a fact in a land where handicapped stay home, cared by close relatives. The special handicapped parking spaces are a joke everywhere. Thai do not often pull over for ambulances, either.

Too, there is the dual feeling abounding that it is good to help people fallen down or hold doors etc, but at same time there is the idea that one should get away from misfortune as fast as possible fearing it will rub off onto you.

In a nation so very caring about people, this reserved parking misuse is so strange.

This is just pointless Thai bashing thread. I'd turn it around on my own USA. Every shopping center has rows of handicap spots, and 99 percent of the drivers have handicap stickers. They get them from a doctor because their knees and hips hurt. Their joints hurt and they can't move as they are bloated from sitting on their duffs their whole life. Then they waddle in WalMart and shop on a free electric cart, go home eat more crap, and get fatter still. Disgusting, there should be fewer spots reserved for the infirm and injured and truly disabled only. Fatties need the exercise.

By the way I had a Thai girlfriend complain "Why you park so far awaaay?" Two reasons. I dont like parking next to a jerk in a xxxxbox who will certainly bang my door. Secondly, even if you park in the furthest spot and walk a little you will be in the store and out of the parking lot more quickly avoiding all the people blocking traffic waiting for the close in spots. I'd rather put

knitting needles in my eyes than park in a Handicap spot without good reason by the way. Heartless ghouls they are, those who do this.

Thai bashing? Not really... it isn't really bashing so much as pointing out the truth. You have pointed it out as well, regarding the US. You and another poster talked about people swapping cards just to park their fat, lazy asses in a close spot. When what is needed more, is a brisk walk from the edge of the lot.

This is really a societal problem. People are lazy and selfish as a whole. Just that in some countries (Thailand included) it is worse and even more obvious.

A few weeks ago,my wife parked in disabled bay at tesco Khonkaen. I was in the car wife in the store Thai man stops, tells me he always parks in this spot, farangs cannot park here. Wife comes out of store,he starts mouthing of at her this is my parking bay. My wife went back in the store other drivers by now are not happy they cannot get passed.

A crazy situation caused by a selfish prat who did not want to walk a few meters.

If you were just sat in the car, and your wife was in the store, isn't this in itself a misuse of a disabled parking spot?! She has no need to park there, other than to abuse a privilege. What happens if a disabled driver genuinely needed that spot?

Just as selfish, in my opinion.

Nailed-It Spot-On.....

Edited by Khunangkaro

What I notice with this is he talk to the security guard who I agree should be trained not to allow others to park in the disabled bay but apparently was not. I am disabled and every so often dwhen this sort of thing happens and I get upset I always go to the store and speak to the manager (I know it is only the duty manager but that is a start. I also email the firm. I have had reasonable results here. In Chiangrai a complaint about no disabled toilet in Big C shopping mall resulted in within two days an email saying they were converting a toilet to be useable and sending me the floor plans. This was completed within 3 weeks. Disabled parking bays are another issue as even they exist they are generally missused however when I go to Central here they are very helpful in finding a place to park where my wheelchair ramp is able to be used even if it means parking me in their bus stop. I do not think it is that people here do not want to help people with disabilities, They do,,,but this is not able to overcome the fact that a lowly security guard is unable to give instructions to his "superiors" that they cannot park in the bay.

Central Festival is really the pits.

I confronted them about motorcycles blocking fire exits. Now they have the bikes a few feet away but still not enough IMO.

They were accused of racial something or other over their Chinese new year posters. The were all removed.

They have lady parking without equivalent gentlemen parking. Sexists.

Motorcycle parking is a nightmare. All on top of each other. Security guard stands with finger up butt doing nothing.

And now this, VIPs in disabled parking. How inconsiderate.

I don't go there anymore.

I confronted them about motorcycles blocking fire exits. Now they have the bikes a few feet away but still not enough IMO.

They were accused of racial something or other over their Chinese new year posters. The were all removed.

Motorcycle parking is a nightmare. All on top of each other. Security guard stands with finger up butt doing nothing.

"They have lady parking without equivalent gentleman parking. Sexists"

I agree with your post but come on, "gentleman parking".

• Like 1

Well done to the gentleman for complaining.

Used to have the same problems in the UK at the local Tesco, The worst offenders were middle aged women driving SUV's for some reason. If you politely pointed out they were parking in a disabled area most seemed to look through you and pretend you weren't there. One or two were abusive saying they would park where they liked. Charming. Eventually Tesco started taking action but the appalling attitude of some people who think a bit of money makes them mega important is unreal.

Here, at the local Big C I only use the disabled parking if my son is with us. Most times I manage to get one of the spots buts its annoying to have to struggle in a standard space and then see some prat and his tarted up mia noi waltz out of one of the restaurants and over to his car parked for convenience in the disabled area.

My wife tells me not to say anything here, as Thai people don't like to be corrected by a foreigner; and most like that wouldn't know right from wrong in any case.

And the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Personally I'd say something whether the offender be English, Thai or any other nationality.

"They have lady parking without equivalent gentleman parking. Sexists"

I agree with your post but come on, "gentleman parking".

If no gentlemen parking then shut down the lady parking. Having only one is sexist. Same with the lady railway carriages. I don't know about you guys but my wallet has been raped many times. It needs protection 555 cheesy.gif

Used to have the same problems in the UK at the local Tesco, The worst offenders were middle aged women driving SUV's for some reason. If you politely pointed out they were parking in a disabled area most seemed to look through you and pretend you weren't there. One or two were abusive saying they would park where they liked. Charming. Eventually Tesco started taking action but the appalling attitude of some people who think a bit of money makes them mega important is unreal.

Here, at the local Big C I only use the disabled parking if my son is with us. Most times I manage to get one of the spots buts its annoying to have to struggle in a standard space and then see some prat and his tarted up mia noi waltz out of one of the restaurants and over to his car parked for convenience in the disabled area.

My wife tells me not to say anything here, as Thai people don't like to be corrected by a foreigner; and most like that wouldn't know right from wrong in any case.

This has nothing to do with a foreigner or a Thai corrects another Thai. Thais in general hate being told that they did something wrong and usually fight back instead of admitting the mistake, as you can see in this video:

It is the responsibility of the mall to instruct the car park attendants to keep an eye on who parks there.

But the mall management obviously decide that a customer arriving in a 4-5 million THB Range Rover is likely to spend more money then the average wheelchair user...

This has nothing to do with a foreigner or a Thai corrects another Thai. Thais in general hate being told that they did something wrong and usually fight back instead of admitting the mistake, as you can see in this video:

It is the responsibility of the mall to instruct the car park attendants to keep an eye on who parks there.

But the mall management obviously decide that a customer arriving in a 4-5 million THB Range Rover is likely to spend more money then the average wheelchair user...

LOL. The Japanese Buffet costs the same no matter what car you drive.

• Like 1

It is only normal that rich people receive privileges, after all they buy more so are more interesting customers. That they can park on spaces for disabled people is another thing though. Just reduce the parking lots for disabled people and with this create more for VIPs. There are obviously not many wheelchairers in these department stores, so why so many lots?

Chiangmai:

RAM hospital:

h/c parking always blocked by huge SUVs or oversized pickups. They have guards, they don't care.

Immigration:

h/c parking spot always occupied. They have a guard with a whistle. He only knows two English words: "full" and "go". 'When I confront him that I am h/c and he didn't protect my spot (in Thai) he just turns around and walks away. WHAT A SURPRZIE.

BigC Extra (former Carrefour):

Six or eight, maybe ten h/c spot in front to the entrance where SCB is. Full. Same same RAM hospital.

And the list goes on and one.

As I side note. I have an offical Thai h/c decal and it seems I am the only one.

Security has no excuse; they stand right there. Perhaps just stupid. totally disabled person here

Security is just following the "near universal job description" which is = Consuming oxygen

• Like 1

Pathetic. What constitutes a VIP. No need to answer, MONEY. Apart from fining them which wouldn't worry them their car plates should be recorded and their names posted by our so called free press and in a prominent part of the paper. Perhaps a pemanent column be set aside.

He's saying its not the parking attendant's fault, but in my experience, its the parking attendants that look for people in nice cars and call them over to let them park in spaces cordoned off for special use, and its the parking attendants taking the big tips for not doing their job......

Edited by cyborgx
  • Like 1

That guy is a real life hero.

Very polite and courteous while making his point stand. He believes in upholding the rights of people without the intention of just wanting to fight.

What's that civic doing there =.=

The Civic is owned by the girl who killed the people in the van at the toll booth.

Actually, if your wife isn't disabled and you weren't getting out of the car, why were you guys in a disabled spot?