Thailand gets tough of jet ski scammers

webfact

Yes, lots of talk . . . and NOW they are doing something about it . . . give it more than a few hours before you expect to see results . . . smile.png

all the talk coming from BKK where nobody knows the real truth as to how these guys behave...they have not and will not change their ways...I've been here 15 years and have seen it all ..even amongst all the talk over the years..and I'm seeing the new gound work in progress now and its nothing but cheap talk to pacify the critics...It's not changing!

What a bunch of whiners. the news is out for one hour and 13 minutes and we have people complaining of nothing happening and things they should do different.

It is like watching a three ring circus.

Who's whining?...I know the truth when I see it...question is..why bother getting anybodys hopes up over a lot of false bravado?....It ain't happening....you wanna think it is, then go ahead and enjoy the lie

Ya in a hour and 13 minutes you know it is a failure. Have you even got up to take a leak in that amount of time much less checked out all the jet skier's?

don't waste yopur time answering it I know it will just be more BS.

• Like 2

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rental shops complying with the new service standards will be issued with a Merry Elephant logo by the Department of Tourism to display. This emblem acts as a guarantee that they are trusted jet ski operators.

Slight error in the above quote... "Rental shops complying with the new service standards will be issued with a Merry Elephant logo by the Department of Tourism to display. This emblem acts as a guarantee that they are trusted jet ski operators scammers."

Fixed it.

looks like the shops that were printing up fake insurance stickers will have a new market.

• Like 1

The problem with this scheme in the end it’s just another form of self-regulating by the very people who can’t be trusted an operator’s license to begin with. Operators should be made to show cause that they’re fit and proper persons to own an operator’s license such as showing they’ve paid for insurance including paid tax on their income from hiring out jet ski’s in the past. Training and inducting the hirer in the use of the machine is just a small part of it. Eliminating the culture of money laundering scammers is the primary cause.

Edited by MK1
  • Like 1

The problem with this scheme in the end it’s just another form of self-regulating by the very people who can’t be trusted an operator’s license to begin with. Operators should be made to show cause that they’re fit and proper persons to own an operator’s license such as showing they’ve paid for insurance including paid tax on their income from hiring out jet ski’s in the past. Training and inducting the hirer in the use of the machine is just a small part of it. Eliminating the culture of money laundering scammers is the primary cause.

You eliminate the money laundering from Thailand and the economy will take a big hit. jet ski's are small potatoes to a money launderer.

Agree they will have to follow up with inspections to make sure every thing is done correctly. Could be like the cabbie's and need another run at them.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who is bored to death of this subject, and the so called getting tough on Jet Ski scammers.

I never hired one, and don't understand the 'go for it whilst on holiday' attitude of hiring a powerful machine, and with areas of innocent swimmers who could be injured, because of lack of control. It's a direct similarity to a moped driver being put into a Jag XK8, and putting one's foot down in sports' mode.

The subject bores me - as nothing real ever gets done about it on a legal sense. However, it is the visitors'/travellers' responsibility to decide what is of their interest. There's always morons who want to <deleted?k about beaches to impress. How many Grandpas/Grandads does one see hire a Jet-Ski?

• Like 1

To actually make this work, some examples need to made early on to get the others attention. Personally, I would start with 10 to 20 years with no early parole. Whatever they get, will not be enough for all the damage that has been done in the past. Burn their a$s.

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is teaming up with the Department of Tourism to crack down on corrupt jet ski operators, and introduce new regulations and safety standards"

Put in the regulation that all renting out there Jet ski's must be proper insured and the ones who rent it cannot be held liable for any damage.
And put a heavy fine on it who breach the rules. Heavy fine can be seisure and lost of the Jet Ski. That will hurt.

Inform tourist about the regulations ( big sign at the Jet Ski operator site ) , each operator must have the rules printed behind there bills mandatory.
Breaching this rule will result of lost of there Jet Ski. That will hurt.

Don't believe it...I'm in Phuket and there's been all this talk since the coup...everything from the jet ski boys changing their ways to eliminating all together...so far nothing has been done..they remain at large and the scams continue....Doesn't look like the army can crack this nut...

Yes, lots of talk . . . and NOW they are doing something about it . . . give it more than a few hours before you expect to see results . . . smile.png

Haven't some for of regulations been around for numerous years already.

Regulations, laws and rules need to be enforced and policed to have any meaning whatsoever.

Having a patrol up and down the beach ensuring no unlicensed operators are renting, and renting is only happening from particular positions, should not be particularly difficult.

The police guy who used to get involved with the compensation arguments is likely not busy!

How about, prosecute crimes of assault and extortion? Ensure civil disputes are settled as they are meant. If the operator fears the customer will flee then get insurance, or factor an overhead into prices.

Other countries manage to offer hire services to tourists without machetes making an appearance.

• Like 1

In several local publications I have read recently, it has been stated that Jet Ski's are illegal in Thailand. If this is so, why are the Police not arresting the owners who rent them and confiscating the illegal machines ?

Instead it appears we are going to set up another "Committee" to oversea an illegal activity !

Simple answeer really if all tourists stopped hiring them for at least three months many will go out of business, all foreign countries should post danger notices about hiring jet skis in Thailand. Sure the honest ones will lose out, but that's life. Me personally never hire anything from a Thai beach front business.

Saw an interesting article in the Phuket Gazette on this very topic entitled

"PHUKET: Jet-skis are back on Phukets beaches after operators vowed to double up as beach cleaners, as well as volunteer lifeguards, Phuket Jet-Ski Club Nucha Petchvimol told the Phuket Gazette today. - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Jetski-operators-back-beach-vow-protect-Phuket/32422#ad-image-0"

Personally I am very relieved that these guardians of the beach are back to safeguard us as we swim and keep the beaches clean with their usual charming and friendly swagger.*

SDM

* I'm English, it's sarcastic.

• Like 1

Try something as simple as mandatory no deductible insurance for all jet skis.

Then the dishonest ones can not claim any damages or black male fees. Sorry simple solution to a problem because we all know TAT will do nothing at as they have in the past to help tourists they will just smile and say we will look into it.(when hell freezes) !

Still misses the point though. Jet Skis should have a pre-paid deposit (1 or 2k max - cars are 5k!) and insurance that covers all eventualities above and beyond the deposit; and illegal for charges outside of this and rental fee (under existing extortion laws). Sign with fixed dimensions and font size, in Thai and English explaining all that, in full sight at every rental location, along with the number of the tourist police for disputes. full stop.

Also I didn't see mentioned anything restricting area of use in the OP.

jb1