Renewing Retirement Visa Early

My retirement visa (permission to stay) expires end Dec, so the earliest I can renew is end Nov, but I want to leave beginning November for 3 months. Is there any way that they will let me renew early or will I have to start the process all over again? I live in Bangkok.

Some Immigration offices allow 45 days, some will allow early extensions for a "good reason," as defined by themselves.

You'll really have to go down to the office handles your area and plead your case. If your plans are unchangeable, take along your ticket and itinerary to show you're tied to your schedule.

One good reason for maintaining an unbroken stream of extensions is just in case the rules change, as they did in 1998 to increase the funds required, but people who'd had extensions prior to October 1998 were grandfathered. Could happen again.

Mac

• Like 1

Some Immigration offices allow 45 days, some will allow early extensions for a "good reason," as defined by themselves.

You'll really have to go down to the office handles your area and plead your case. If your plans are unchangeable, take along your ticket and itinerary to show you're tied to your schedule.

One good reason for maintaining an unbroken stream of extensions is just in case the rules change, as they did in 1998 to increase the funds required, but people who'd had extensions prior to October 1998 were grandfathered. Could happen again.

Mac

That had crossed my mind as well. I don't want to be away and find out that the rules have changed, especially if they did something like increase the age.

I think I may stay and do the extension and then go away.

Edited by ldnguy

• 1 month later...

Apply early!

I scanned the web for latest renewal info. Couldn't find the old Royal Thai Police/Immigration site, & I've found other farang sources of variable reliability. Never mind, I'm an old (single) hand at renewing retirement visas. But quelle surprise, this time, probs.

I have lived at the same rented address for years, Now, immigration official wanted proof of residence - Tabian Ban, rent book, etc., which I don't have. The absentee Thai landlord moved to somewhere unannounced in Europe. I just pay the rent to a bank.

Plus, money side OK, but NOW they want to see 'original' of letter from UK embassy confirming my pension. Where the heck did that go? A computer copy is no longer good enuf. Two weeks left before old visa expires & I have to accomodate to latest laws. whatever they are. Congrats to the new <removed> regime for keeping a 75-year-old nimble by running round in bureaucratic circles.

Orders can change but must be obeyed vizzout kvestion. Be wary & apply early.

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed a word making comment not allowed

If you were in Pattaya no problem. I did one recently, 45 days. No help to you, but others may benefit from the info.

They didn't want to see a ticket, in fact they detached the copy I submitted without looking at it. The did not say a word or ask any questions relating to the early renewal.

Edited by CRUNCHER

Apply early!

I scanned the web for latest renewal info. Couldn't find the old Royal Thai Police/Immigration site, & I've found other farang sources of variable reliability. Never mind, I'm an old (single) hand at renewing retirement visas. But quelle surprise, this time, probs.

I have lived at the same rented address for years, Now, immigration official wanted proof of residence - Tabian Ban, rent book, etc., which I don't have. The absentee Thai landlord moved to somewhere unannounced in Europe. I just pay the rent to a bank.

Plus, money side OK, but NOW they want to see 'original' of letter from UK embassy confirming my pension. Where the heck did that go? A computer copy is no longer good enuf. Two weeks left before old visa expires & I have to accomodate to latest laws. whatever they are. Congrats to the new <removed> regime for keeping a 75-year-old nimble by running round in bureaucratic circles.

Orders can change but must be obeyed vizzout kvestion. Be wary & apply early.

Many offices have become more stringent on proof of residence. Not sure what you can do to meet the requirements. Is there anybody might have contact info for your landlord.

It has been a requirement for some time you need to get a new income letter every year from the embassy. Latest info for letter here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

• Like 1

Pattaya - it must be what side of the bed they get out. In the last week I have asked two different officers and Sgt Happy Harry on the front desk and they all told me 30 days and not before.

Done exactly the same as you in jompers with the same result,but no planned flight out over the 30 day so maybe exception to the rule could be aquired if needed but my doubts on this.

Extended mine at Jomtien (expires 29 Nov) yesterday as I leave for UK next week. No issues, didn't ask for proof of flight.

Just for interest although they did not ask for proof of flight did you tell them you were extending early because you were travelling next week.?

No, in fact I forgot and they didn't bat an eye. I had taken a copy of flight details with me in case, however it was processed as usual. Only difference, this year was that passports are not collected until following day.

Edited by GordonP

No, in fact I forgot and they didn't bat an eye. I had taken a copy of flight details with me in case, however it was processed as usual. Only difference, this year was that passports are not collected until following day.

Probably best not to ask. If you make a point out of it, they may just tell you to come back 30 days before it expires, especially if they're swamped when you ask.

Edited by Suradit69

Hi

Tried to do my retirement extension yesterday at bkk immigration and was refused. I had done a stat dec witnessed by the Australian embassy stating my income from investments in australia which exceeds the 65kBaht requirement. I have had over 600kBaht in k bank here well over three months.

The officer had a problem with the stat dec but could not explain what the problem was.

Does anyone have a link to a sample income stat dec. I'm not on a pension, just my own investment income.

Also, are they looking for a letter from the embassy or a stat sec done by me.

I did exactly the same last year and got my extension so don't know what's changed this year.

Thanks

R3R