Moving CM to Siem Reap

WaldoPepper

Any suggestions for the cheapest way to transport boxes of household stuff from CM to SR?

Is an international removal firm the only realistic option to do? Or does anyone know of a Thai with a pick-up who'd be interested?

I've read that it should be hassle-free at the border provided Poipet is NOT used. Correct?

Any up-to-date info and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

seems a good idea.

Siem Reap made the list of worlds friendliest cities.

FRIENDLIEST: 7. Siem Reap, Cambodia

Grid View

Score: 83.6

Though Siem Reap is full of “awe-inspiring beauty” and “incredible food and sights,” our readers say that its “people were the best.” One reader added: “It is the resiliency and kindness of the Cambodian people that I will remember.” While you’re there, stay at the Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor(pictured), five miles from Angkor Wat, or Amansara Resort, famous for its wonderful staff, beautiful chalets, and location—just minutes from Angkor Archaeological Park.

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2014-08-05/the-2014-friendliest-and-unfriendliest-cities-in-the-world/6

• Like 1

Chong Chom Border Cossing is your only hassle free crossing for diving into Cambodia from Thailand. Its on highway 214 75 km south of Surin and then only 2 hours to SR. If you have a pu in your name or another person whose pu is in their name and they must be present, then moving to SR will be a cake walk.

seems a good idea.

Siem Reap made the list of worlds friendliest cities.

FRIENDLIEST: 7. Siem Reap, Cambodia

Grid View

Score: 83.6

Though Siem Reap is full of “awe-inspiring beauty” and “incredible food and sights,” our readers say that its “people were the best.” One reader added: “It is the resiliency and kindness of the Cambodian people that I will remember.” While you’re there, stay at the Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor(pictured), five miles from Angkor Wat, or Amansara Resort, famous for its wonderful staff, beautiful chalets, and location—just minutes from Angkor Archaeological Park.

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2014-08-05/the-2014-friendliest-and-unfriendliest-cities-in-the-world/6

Interesting and Chang mai is like the Siam Reap of Thailand as Bangkok is not very friendly, I see a path to the OP travels.

Edited by Killian30

Better arrive at Chom Chong with all the ducks in a row.

You'll be okay with a properly licensed mover, but if there's anything amiss, you'll spend at least a few thousand baht getting through.

I went through last month.

I'm also thinking of moving over there after spending two weeks. Delightful, and very affordable.

However, I did get nicked at the border and for the only available taxi to SR from Chom Chong. Mai bpen rai. It was still good.

anselpixel: I'm moving small-scale, personal belongings (books, cds, etc); nothing sparkly new or large, apart from two old mountain bikes in boxes. What sort of ducks do I need to have in a row to have a stress-free crossing? Do they charge import duty on bringing in this sort of stuff, do you know? Any pointers appreciated. Are you moving anything: maybe go 50:50? Thanks

anselpixel: I'm moving small-scale, personal belongings (books, cds, etc); nothing sparkly new or large, apart from two old mountain bikes in boxes. What sort of ducks do I need to have in a row to have a stress-free crossing? Do they charge import duty on bringing in this sort of stuff, do you know? Any pointers appreciated. Are you moving anything: maybe go 50:50? Thanks

Dont worry as long as the truck driver is the registered owner of the vehicle your in. What your taken they won't care. Thai side requirements is owners passport, truck restoration book (showing their name), proof of road tax (license). Thai side makes copies, ask you how long fills out forum stamps it and gives you a copy. The cost on the Thai side can be 1000 baht. You then get yourself stamped out of Thailand drive about 50 meters and stop at the Cambodian arrival and entry office. At present be prepared to pay 1000 to 1200 baht for a 30 day Cambodian Tourist Visa.

They may ask to see the Thai forum for the truck but they could care less. Be advised that a Thai vehicle can not get Cambodian insurance and the Thai insurance is no good for Cambodia. Also Cambodians drive on the correct side of the road. Thailand is the only country in SE Asia that does not. The official tourist visa cost for Cambodia is 20 USD, you can try be be prepared to be shot down. As of 1 October 2014 Cambodia tourist visa goes to 30 USD an E-visa to 37 USD (this crossing can not use an e-visa) and the Cambodian Business Visa or B-Visa goes to 35 per month or 420 USD per 12 months and Cambodia is now informing the requirement that you must now have a work permit for their B-visa, at present cost 100 USD but is expected to go up.

• Like 2

Dont worry as long as the truck driver is the registered owner of the vehicle your in. What your taken they won't care. Thai side requirements is owners passport, truck restoration book (showing their name), proof of road tax (license). Thai side makes copies, ask you how long fills out forum stamps it and gives you a copy. The cost on the Thai side can be 1000 baht. You then get yourself stamped out of Thailand drive about 50 meters and stop at the Cambodian arrival and entry office. At present be prepared to pay 1000 to 1200 baht for a 30 day Cambodian Tourist Visa.

They may ask to see the Thai forum for the truck but they could care less. Be advised that a Thai vehicle can not get Cambodian insurance and the Thai insurance is no good for Cambodia. Also Cambodians drive on the correct side of the road. Thailand is the only country in SE Asia that does not. The official tourist visa cost for Cambodia is 20 USD, you can try be be prepared to be shot down. As of 1 October 2014 Cambodia tourist visa goes to 30 USD an E-visa to 37 USD (this crossing can not use an e-visa) and the Cambodian Business Visa or B-Visa goes to 35 per month or 420 USD per 12 months and Cambodia is now informing the requirement that you must now have a work permit for their B-visa, at present cost 100 USD but is expected to go up.

Actually more people in SE Asia drive on the correct side of the road ie. The left hand side of the road. Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore all drive on the left hand side of the road.

Actually more people in SE Asia drive on the correct side of the road ie. The left hand side of the road. Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore all drive on the left hand side of the road.

I'll give you Malaysia and Singapor. Myanmar. Laos Cambodia China drive correctly. This does not bode will for Thailand into ASEAN.

940px-Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_r

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic

• Like 1

Kwaibah, off topic, but how easy and how much for WP.

What does a 75 year old retiree do ? He can hardly apply for a WP on the basis of being a personal trainer....

Cambodian work permit at present is 100 USD AND is now required to hold a B-Visa for Cambodia. Long stay in Cambodia has being done, on the B-Visa which is expected to go up to 420 USD. There is no retirement visa as such for Cambo, so plane on a minimum of 520 USD per year for a visa to stay in Cambo. BTW the 12 month B you leave and enter as Cambodia as often as you like

• Like 1

Chong Chom Border Cossing is your only hassle free crossing for diving into Cambodia from Thailand. Its on highway 214 75 km south of Surin and then only 2 hours to SR. If you have a pu in your name or another person whose pu is in their name and they must be present, then moving to SR will be a cake walk.

Would Chong sa Ngam be a possible addition to that list ?

I can understand avoiding Poipet (unless you were keen on having an e-visa).

Would Chong sa Ngam be a possible addition to that list ?

I can understand avoiding Poipet (unless you were keen on having an e-visa).

My understanding is no. Its not gong to happen.

Edited by khwaibah

I have heard that they are pretty lax with the Visa once you are in the country. Do they have a retirement visa?

I see you have answered the visa and cost part of the question. Good to know If I was to decide to move to Cambodia.

Been a few years since Siem Reap and Phnom Phenn the internet was lousy then. Do you know if it has improved?

Edited by northernjohn

I have heard that they are pretty lax with the Visa once you are in the country. Do they have a retirement visa?

Cambodia is seriously tightening up because of the changes in Thailand. Its doable but the lax attitude is over. Read post number 9 and #13 for further info.