Freelance Working Options

I’ve started my own freelancing business part time whilst also working a 9-5. I’m a freelance 3d artist/animator and nearly all of my work comes from the UK, and everything goes through my UK bank account. I’m currently working in England and I am moving to Thailand next week on a type O non-immigration visa.

I plan to marry my Thai girlfriend within the next month and we have a baby boy due in October. I need to know my options regarding how I can legally carry on my freelancing fulltime without getting in trouble with either the UK or Thai tax office.

I know that if I was to stay in the UK I would need to register myself as self employed and work out my taxes every year etc. I know a little bit about this as before I went back into higher education I was a self employed Aerial Installer.

What I don’t know is anything about my options in Thailand. Does anyone know what options I have? I know I could just carry on as I am and not do anything but I would much rather do everything properly and above board. Someone mentioned to me that even though I’m working in Thailand I will still have to pay my taxes to the UK because I will be using my UK bank account.

I would like to start up my own business in Thailand but I would like to see how much work I get over the next 6 months or so to see if it is worth it.

Any help is much appreciated

Many Thanks

Jared

I think the first question to ask is 'how do you get work for your business?'.

Since you say you work in the UK, is all your work in the UK and do you come by that work by direct contact. If that is the case then how would you continue to get new business from Thailand.

I don't work freelance, but I do consult to Clients around the world. I am assigned to the clients by my employer and that mostly is a matter of my CV being aproved, occasionally I have face to face interviews.

The difficult part, and sometimes extremely difficult, is building a relationship with the client, this only really happens when we've met each other.

A particular problem with remote working is when the contact you work with moves on, as people increasingly do, this leaves you having to make a new relationship and can mean losing business.

My feeling is that you need a large client base and a good relationship with those clients before moving offshore. I think the other problem is keeping up with trends, retraining of our overseas staff (of which I am one) is constant work.

Anyway, just some things to think about.

Best of luck with the business, I hope you make a fortune.

there have been several inconclusive discussions on here as to the legality of living in thailand and working for your home country. i believe that as long as your employer and your bank account are in the UK, it is not thailand's business what you are doing- you are not taking thai jobs away from thai people. you do need to continue paying taxes in the UK just as you would if you were doing your work there physically.

as for keeping contacts, it's a good point. i have worked for a year and a half now from thailand for US companies, and all of them are sight unseen. it does take constant sales work though- create a nice portfolio, cover letter, etc. to send out and send them out diligently. once you have a client, show them how easy it is to meet via webcam and skype. be dependable and flexible and they should still keep giving you work. i have lost a couple of clients because they just couldn't deal with the long distance contact, but the majority still send work regularly. it's best to make as many contacts at home before you leave as you can.

Thanks for the reply guys. Getting the clients hasnt been to much of a problem so far as Ive only been working part time in the evenings and weekends on this, Ive even had to turn work away or pass it on.

All my clients communicate via the internet using skype emails etc aswell as phone calls, im yet to meet any of them in person. Ive also set up a website with examples of my work, although this site needs updateing as it more set towards getting fixed employment in the Uk and all of the work is student work.

I currently have 3 big companys in the UK who have been pleased with my work and continue to use me as there main 3d freelance artist aswell as lots of little pieces for individual jobs. Once im working fulltime I will be able to provide a better and quicker service which will lead to more work. So currently I Dont have any problems with getting the work. My problem is doing the work legally.

Im also interested in one day setting up a Animation studio in Thailand so I am able to take on big budget projects. Id like to rent a small office somewhere maybe big enough for 4 -5 workers and employe some talented Thai 3d artists, there are many out there. Well thats a long way off and a bit of a dream at the moment but if i continue to get lots of work it is something i will definately consider.

Yes I understood everything they said and i am grateful for there replys. But if you took the time to read the post you will see that the only answer that addresses my question is from Girlx stating her opinion of what she believes to be the answer to my question. Weve also had a private discusion about this.

Im just looking for more help or answers from anyone who can help. not smug comments like yours Rishi. Thanks for your reply though, really helpful

... as for getting things setup legally, I usually refrain from joining the usual recommandations ... In your case I'll make an exception: contact our sponsor Sunbelt --- they're very okay, and you'll find their links all over this place ... go for it, they're worth it.

one of my friend is doing the fulltime freelance graphic desing in thailand, i will ask her about your question the next time i see her online.

i was also doing some freelance work while i was in thailand, but i did not report anything to the Thai tax office.

If you plan on being around for several years at least, starting now with setting up a company makes sense.

I do contract work here that goes through my legally established company in the US. Contracting overseas is still something that some people and companies are skittish about from the onset, but the fear usually goes away as long as you deliver.

If your goal is to employ Thai people, you need to set a company up here. Try to talk to a tax lawyer in the UK about how having a shell of a company in the UK that contracts work to another company in Thailand would work. The UK company should make a reasonable cut of the fees (say 10%-40% or more), and pay taxes on that cut. The Thai company would get the balance as operating income. You would split your personal income between ATM withdrawls on the UK account, and draw off the Thai company.

If I had employees, I would go this general route. It simplifies being paid where most of your work occurs.