Gaza conflict: Truce ends amid fresh fighting

webfact

Gaza conflict: Truce ends amid fresh fighting

(BBC) A truce between Israel and Palestinian militants in Gaza has ended amid fresh air strikes which Israel says were countering rocket fire.

Palestinian group Hamas said the wife and child of its military commander Mohammed Deif were killed in the raids.

Israel said about 50 rockets were launched from Gaza on Tuesday, but there were no injuries reported.

Talks in Cairo to end the violence broke up with no deal, and Israeli delegates said they would return home.

Trading blame

Officials say 2,016 Palestinians and 66 Israelis have died since Israel began its offensive on Gaza on 8 July.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28857012

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-08-20

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamas breaks yet another truce. Savages.

Not true mate, not this time, according to the Israeli press of this morning the Israelis tried to

assassinate Muhammad Daff, is a marked man, he's the head of the militant arm of the Hamas, who has been

on Israel 's most wanted list for years and mange to miraculously survive 4 assignations attempt in the past,

this time also the papers that he might have survived but his wife and daughter got killed,

Trading blame
Officials say 2,016 Palestinians and 66 Israelis have died since Israel began its offensive on Gaza on 8 July.

Really?? I thought that a response to other side's offense is considered defense....

• Like 2

The Israelis might have the upper hand at this time but the world and especially the Palestinians will not forget that they deliberately killed children, bombed UN protected schools and steal the land of the Palestinians since decades.

Things are in continuous evaluation and the day will come that they have to pay for the crimes against humanity committed, these scumbags deserve that punishment fully.

It is the stated aim of Hamas to destroy Israel completely. Israel is fighting for it's very survival. Killed children? bombed schools? Don't put children in areas where you intend to fight! Don't launch offensives from schools! How many Hamas rockets were launched into civilian areas of Israel provoking a response? The world will not forget That!

• Like 1

Not true mate, not this time, according to the Israeli press of this morning the Israelis tried to

assassinate Muhammad Daff, is a marked man, he's the head of the militant arm of the Hamas, who has been

on Israel 's most wanted list for years and mange to miraculously survive 4 assignations attempt in the past,

this time also the papers that he might have survived but his wife and daughter got killed,

Woman and child murdered. Who is the savage ?

Anyone who indulges in terrorist activities and is willing to kill without caring who the targets are for their political agendas are less than savages. They cannot expect to attack others and not be attacked back?

Israel has lived under constant terrorist attack for decades, since it was formed. How many innocent people have been killed in the name of Islam or the Palestinians over the years?

It's regrettable that any innocents are killed anytime, but enough is enough. A political solution is required for sure, one which recognizes the rights of Israel and the Palestinian people.

• Like 1

Another failure ahead. No win situation for Israel until they take all Gaza exterminate HAMAS and leave. Half a job isn't a job well done.

And tell the 'World opinion' to go and bomb themselves.

Trading blame

Really?? I thought that a response to other side's offense is considered defense....

The report pertains to a descriptive act, not a cause Belli for war. "offensive" in this context pertains to most recent events, not a declaration of cause of hostilities. Israel has most consistently been demonstrated to be the aggrieved party. How others can spin that remains a source of continued wonder. (If I've misunderstood your intention, my point remains for others- sorry).

Not true mate, not this time

Yes, this time. Israel reacted to rockets launched from Gaza, hours before the ceasefire was supposed to end. They had every reason to go after Muhammad Daff in response.

How is it that those with a clear interest in this issue can skip a day, miss a news feed, go to lunch, return and pick up a paper and declare "Israel is at it again," conveniently overlooking that consistently Hamas is provoking conflict. "Not this time." Yes, this time. Indeed, I'll make it simple so you don't have to follow the news feeds everyday; nearly all the time Hamas will be both the aggressor and victim- it is their strategic plan to both victimize Palestinians and weaken Israel diplomatically. It's working.

• Like 2

I think what many detest about Israel, aside from the historical inequity in the Jewish land grabs, is that Israel IS the aggressor. Responding to a bunch of rockets that fall in barren fields with the disingenuous cry of "We have a right to defend ourselves" and employing a barrage of modern weapons to kill hundreds is aggression.

If a little waif off the street picks up a pebble and throws it harmlessly at my feet, and I respond by yelling "I have a right to defend myself" and attack the waif with a knife and a club, giving him a sound beating...who is the aggressor? Add to that scenario that the waif happens to have something I want, and if he runs away I'll obtain, and my motives become clear.

Ok, "what many detest about Israel," and you then make a valid point about the land, but you digress into the very thing under consideration as a declared fact, "Israel IS (I guess no ISIS pun intended) the aggressor."

It's convenient for an observer to arbitrarily decide "a bunch of rockets" doesn't deserve response; today, yesterday, last month, last year, every year, on the ground, in the air, overseas, on the coast. Because that the attackers aren't brilliant does not an excuse make. It's been a varying standard in war that you don't go into a gunfight with a knife. So, assuming this is known- and the whole world knows Israel will respond- why then does Hamas continuing using a knife? Doesn't reason and personal mental justice compel one to ask the question? "If Israel keeps rooting us out, forcing us to flee for our lives and hide amongst our citizens, in hospitals, in camps, why do we attack with a knife (a bunch of rockets)?" The answer is unambiguous. Hamas sacrifices Palestinians because their strategic warfare rests on the attrition of public perception. Every Sovereign since time immemorial had steadfastly guarded it's terrain. Your point is not invalid, it just doesn't seem complete, or it's lacking context. To me.

It's convenient to mask our deep seated position in what we believe by the conviction it's universally obvious to everyone. Your point is not that obvious to me. false analogy (a bit overdone)=Hamas is not a little waif off the streets. Rockets are not little pebbles. I can't comment on secondary scenarios to the waif; that one wiped me out. I hope your smiling because my intention is not unkind. I just think differently. Your position, if exercised, still produces war, conflict, or non resolution.

If Israel only return fired rockets in empty fields in response invariably Hamas would what... Get more precise. Then, extrapolating a scenario from your point, Israel would respond in kind? If Hamas rocket hit a bus and Israeli planners were considering target packets they should the correspondingly look for a target that wipes out.... Hrmmm there were 18 bus victims so... 18 Hamas fighters. You ask of Israel a standard not asked of anyone, anywhere, ever, as a tool of state.

Edited by arjunadawn
  • Like 2

on Israel 's most wanted list for years and mange to miraculously survive 4 assignations attempt in the past, this time also the papers that he might have survived but his wife and daughter got killed,

Woman and child murdered. Who is the savage ?
Of course it's always sad if a woman or child is killed, particularly if they're non-combatants. The husband and dad is/was a combatant. In that role, he has a duty to remove himself from them, at least as long as there's a war going on. He's a military target. He knows it, as I assume everyone who knows him knows it. Some unsolicited free advice to non-combatant Palestinians: Don't hang with combatants! It could be hazardous to your health. Message to combatants: don't hide among non-combatants. You're endangering them.
  • Like 2

If you want to know the "savages" the Israelis are , see how they destroyed the homes this week, of Palestinian "suspects of crimes" All this sanctioned by the Israeli courts who with its decisions have no respect for human rights and ignored international law since 1967. Isolate Israel. http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0GI0BY20140818?irpc=932

Edited by Kalebiran
  • Like 2

If you want to know the "savages" the Israelis are , see how they destroyed the homes of Palestinian "suspects of crimes" All this sanctioned by the Israeli courts who with its decisions have no respect for human rights and ignored international law since 1967. Isolate Israel. http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0GI0BY20140818?irpc=932

I have no doubt Israel had committed such things. I've said before and I'll add again, because I seem so pro Israeli, I don't even know an Israeli and have never been. I was loathe to have an Israeli stamp in my PP or be seen at the border (Did many of you know Israel is also aware of this stain upon others for visiting and affords at least Americans, disposable visas to visit Israel that can be thrown out at exit?). All the people I know outside America are primarily Muslims and Asia folk. I do not doubt your point. I only now offer that your imperative, to isolate Israel, will not finally have the end you imagine. There is only so far you can cage or push any people (yes, Arabs too). Israel may fold but will become increasingly unpredictable and dangerous as Arabs invariably strangle her further. People like you want to destroy Israel; I get it. But don't proffer your point as constructive. Oh, sorry. You didn't.

• Like 1

With what's going on with ISIS, Israel needs to resolve this quickly, one way or another, before being attacked on more than one side.

Might find themselves with some "unusual" allies soon.

ISIS is not a direct threat to Israel at this point. Some hostile Arab forces between them and Israel which would need to be dealt with first.

Israel's "second front" threat was more to to with Hezbollah, but as these are tied up with the fighting in Syria, it seems a bit unlikely they would divert their attention to another front anytime soon.

The ISIS threat could become a reality if and when they take charge of either Syria or Jordan. On another level, increased presence on the Gaza Strip, West Bank and Sinai Peninsula could raise the stakes, but not quite there yet.

• Like 1

If you want to know the "savages" the Israelis are , see how they destroyed the homes this week, of Palestinian "suspects of crimes" All this sanctioned by the Israeli courts who with its decisions have no respect for human rights and ignored international law since 1967. Isolate Israel. http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0GI0BY20140818?irpc=932

I just read your link. It too lacks context. Why is Israel destroying homes of those attackers who kill Israelis? "Anyone?" Because of the multiple local and foreign programs to encourage both Jihad and martyrdom against Israelis by paying a martyrs reward. This has variously been a home, a stipend, etc. a number of private and regional players have done this.

In war all is fair. It is. But then it's sometimes not? How can this be? In war all is fair when the, perceived or aggrieved, underdog fights the Jews. But when the Jews fight they suddenly should tie an arm behind the back, share their Iron Dome, etc.

It's clear I have a position like you. However, I would like to see a solution that enables both to survive. (I even imagined the fantasy, as I lay to sleep, what if we moved the entire country of Israel to... Hrmm, Give 'em Alaska maybe. I laughed because of course that would solve only one problem. A few things would happen immediately: the world would see the conflict there has nothing to do with Israel- they just inculcate hate and, Israel would turn Alaska into a "Mecca" (pun intended) of research, technology, Nobel prizes, sustainable living. While Hamas piles up bodies Israel chases Nobels and quanta). Of course, the third holiest place in Islam, that actually never really was, is the first holiest place in Judaism. Indeed, the dome of the rock is not present solely due to the Night Flight. It's present just as a mosque atop the Haige Sofia, no more. It's ubiquitous in Islam to crown the conquered with the crescent. The al asqa has only taken on renewed profundity since 1947.

In the movie the Kingdom of Heaven, Salad adin is asked, "What is Jerusalem worth to you?" His answer was swift and final, "Nothing," and he walked away. After a pause he turned and said "...and everything!" As a religious point it's only had peripheral value. As a symbol of conquest it's been the crowning jewel in a bloody anointing throughout the world. You will find near zero Islamic exegesis regarding Jerusalem for millennia. It simply was a place visited in a 'dream.'

Another failure ahead. No win situation for Israel until they take all Gaza exterminate HAMAS and leave. Half a job isn't a job well done. And tell the 'World opinion' to go and bomb themselves.

Assuming, of course, that it is indeed feasible for Israel to re-conquer the Gaza Strip and destroy the Hamas. Not an assured thing on both counts and unlikely Israelis will give continued support for such a long term endeavor. Even if this was to work out as planned, quite probable that a new outfit will take Hamas's place as soon as the space clears.

There are no magic solutions here - Israel can either accept the reality of ongoing hostilities on the current level, or attempt to re-conquer the Gaza Strip and stay in charge, or, alternatively - find a diplomatic solution (preferably one which makes the Hamas redundant while addressing most of the Palestinian grievances).

Palestinians are raised from day one in hatred agains Israelis.

I have not noticed the opposite in Israel.

I have. On my visit I spoke to many bigoted Israeli teenagers who had a fanatical hatred of Palestinians. Maybe you weren't looking hard enough.

For starters try the Jewish psychopaths who kidnapped and burnt a young Palestinian boy to death

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/palestinians-say-16yearold-found-in-forest-was-burned-to-death-by-israeli-extremists-9587172.html

Then Google price tag Zionist Israel. You will get hundreds of hits detailing the daily hate crimes dished out by Jewish thugs.

Here are a few recent headlines from Haaretz ... lots more here.
Israeli police force must tackle hate crimes
'Price tag' vandals hit settlers' home being built by Palestinian laborers
Palestinian car vandalized in an alleged 'price tag' attack, West Bank.
Teen from West Bank settlement charged in Abu Ghosh hate crime
Anti-Christian graffiti spray-painted on Be'er Sheva church

Arabs do not hate Israel. They hate Jews. Wherever they were, are or will be. When (rather if) they finish the Jews Christians will be next. When (rather if) they finish with them - will come Buddhists, Atheists and those Muslims who pray Allah the wrong way. Too many idiots cannot see this. What a pity. Welcome to the True Believers!

• Like 1