Overstay, but with Visapapers

Hello all together,

I am new to this Forum, and this is my first post. I found this forum through my researches on the Internet.

I have a problem, like many others, with overstay.

End of 2012 I came here with a Multiple ED Visa to study here at a university. Like many others, I fall in Love with a women and the country. So I decided to stay in Thailand for longer. So I applied at a Language school for a ED Visa end of November 2013. 5 weeks before my multiple Visa run out. I was promised that the papers will be back on time, but through the political unrest, my papers were not on time and arrived end of january at the language school. For the people who don t now this procedure: with the papers from the immigration, you need to go to a thai embassy in a foreign country, to apply for this visa.

So end of january i got the message from the school, horray, your papers are here. At this time I had allready 1 month overstay, and no money to pay for the overstay. So school fees paid, visa papers ready, but no visa!

I decided to give it a try, to save money, until i have the 20000 baht, to go to laos to apply for my visa. This take time until now. :-(

One week ago, I heard about the new rules of getting banned for overstay, and was shocked. And I heard fro a korean friend, by the way I am german, be careful, millitaer and Immigration make more passport controls. Since than I am like a ghost. I hardly go out, think all the day what to do, tried to push this problem out of my head.

I am overwhelmed from all the different opinions and advices, here and on other websites.

I tried to contact a thai lawyer, he gave me the tip, to contact my embassy. What for a great information?!

Until now I can not find out if the new rules of getting banned are allready active, or not!

For any advice I am very thankful, and more grateful I am, not to see comments, like <deleted> this is your problem, etc.

Thank you in advance!

I believe that the new overstay/banned rules come into effect on 29 August (but am reading reports that it may not be until Sept/Oct), so you have a week or two to get out of the country with just paying the fine. More important is, how are you supporting yourself ? It took you 6 months to save 20,000 Baht !

I think possibly you will find it hard to find a way to come back to live in Thailand, ED Visa holders are being asked to show proof of funds from outside of Thailand, maybe you could get a tourist visa, but how will you pay the rent ? One big mess you got yourself into.

Edited by bigt116

I believe that the new overstay/banned rules come into effect on 29 August (but am reading reports that it may not be until Sept/Oct), so you have a week or two to get out of the country with just paying the fine. More important is, how are you supporting yourself ? It took you 6 months to save 20,000 Baht !

I think possibly you will find it hard to find a way to come back to live in Thailand, ED Visa holders are being asked to show proof of funds from outside of Thailand, maybe you could get a tourist visa, but how will you pay the rent ? One big mess you got yourself into.

bigt, thank you for your honest words. About income, I have income from a foreign country. I work online for my old company, a few hours per day. With the income from my girlfriend, we have enough to live and enough to pay the rent.

About the banned rules, this is the point, you also just believe.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The new overstay rules have not been approved yet. You need to pay the overstay, leave and get your visa now.

Thank you for this Information!

I cleared an extremely long overstay at Suvarnabhumi. On departing the IO said the rules were coming and I signed saying that I had been made aware of them. The Thai immigration seems to have generously provided a short window for people to sort things out. Really you need to bite the bullet and get it sorted for once the new rules come down it will be a very different and nightmarish story. I know you feel confused and perhaps frightened but delaying on this will not make it go away...this comes from someone who was where you are just 10 days ago! Good luck.