Prayuth elected as the 29th Thai PM

webfact

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you in denial that the country has already taken the difficult turn for the better should perhaps at least bite ones tongues. Things can only get better and we should positively look forwards to new elections next year without the participation of the corrupt dinosaurs and their brethren from both sides of the political divide. ASEAN together with new elections will transform Thailand.... In the fullness of time.

Usually when a general elects

himself PM for life, things only get worse.

Could you suggest any country where this happened and things got better?

A lie. a real one at that---the General did not elect himself PM-for life. could you post something that is not a porky pie.

But he certainly can if he wants to, that's what absolute power means is it not?

Sick -baiting.

Is my comment incorrect?

Your comment is dead right. I think this is the turning point for Thailand for the Better, go get them General, oops, Prime Minister.

Those of you in denial that the country has already taken the difficult turn for the better should perhaps at least bite ones tongues. Things can only get better and we should positively look forwards to new elections next year without the participation of the corrupt dinosaurs and their brethren from both sides of the political divide. ASEAN together with new elections will transform Thailand.... In the fullness of time.

Usually when a general elects himself PM for life, things only get worse.

A lie. a real one at that---the General did not elect himself PM-for life. could you post something that is not a porky pie.

The interim constitution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_interim_constitution_of_Thailand) does not have a specific end date. Other constitutions specify timeframes for elections - the US is on a fixed schedules and many other parliements are capped at 5 years but generally occur within 4. The interim constitution specified timeframes for a new constitution, but with absolute veto power by the NCPO.

So, PM for life is within the scope of the interim constitution.

I do not have an end date either, but that doesn't mean I have to stay on to it. Within the scope but not written in he is there for life. OK confirmed. He did not confirm he is in it for life. Press the options button. --if he needs. I would wager he will not want that option-would you. ??

he was only one candidate to choose from, voting took 15 min, people who voted were his mates = same same

The BBC has a decent summary of the situation, I'm sure other news sites have, or will have, as well. Better read them quick before they are blocked.

This won't be popular.

Don't see a Hard Talk interview coming up anytime soon.

I see that Jonathan 'Dick' Head gets it wrong again in his BBC article. He says 197 representatives - there are only 191, which is what every other article says. .

One day that man will write something half-accurate and not his biased opinion.

He got it right.

197 representatives, 191 votes in favour. president and the two vice-presidents abstained, three members did not vote.

One day instead of insulting Jonathan Head you will stop projecting your own bias onto him.

• Like 2

There can be no question that some things have improved as a result of the intervention of the Junta. The purported ideology is in text a significant improvement on previous administrations,however, in a one horse race and with so many senior Military figures serving in this administration it has the feel of democracy by dictatorship, which under the circumstances is no bad thing as long as there will be the required reforms in place to enable a clean democratic election no later than 2015 and the incumbent Military remove themselves from public office.

If they do a comprehensive job with regard to the restructuring and reforming of the administration then this may be a good solution for Thailand providing they themselves return to being soldiers and not politicians.

Congrats, general!

Now it's time to clean up this country!

I'm with you Jerry and I am sure he will clean it up, can't wait. He should start as soon as possible to force all banks in Thailand to divulge all moneys over 5ml transfers over the last 12 months out of Thailand.

There is a lot of missing money from the Thai coffers gone missing.

The BBC has a decent summary of the situation, I'm sure other news sites have, or will have, as well. Better read them quick before they are blocked.

This won't be popular.

You think Thai Happiness you farang you no understand won't cut it on Hard Talk? tongue.png

he was only one candidate to choose from, voting took 15 min, people who voted were his mates = same same

Same same but not same, whats the problem with it now he is the PM. move on and see what happens then, we want to spend 14 pages on here arguing about something we have no choice in. PTP are gone -Prayuth is in---if it gets at some posters so bad and drives them crazy---Phone him, tell him what your thoughts are.

I tried to phone Yingluck but was told she was out the country every time.

So I guess he is going to retire from the Military. Can't possibly do both jobs as P.M and Chief of the Army and it is a conflict of interest. I guess the new P.M will now approve the purchase of those submarines they have been after.

He was retiring in October anyway,thats why he had MILITARY COUP, so he could have his new job, with good pay hahahahah.

I forecasted this ages ago, it was obvious what his intentions were.

This won't be popular.

Tell you what the General should accept an interview with him, the General would put him right, the only problem with Jonathan Head and most other interviewers is they ask a question and the respondent tries to answere and they are always cut in before they Finnish, that pisses me off. The General would turn around and say "why don't you keep your mouth shut till I Finnish answering your question"

• Like 2

There can be no question that some things have improved as a result of the intervention of the Junta. The purported ideology is in text a significant improvement on previous administrations,however, in a one horse race and with so many senior Military figures serving in this administration it has the feel of democracy by dictatorship, which under the circumstances is no bad thing as long as there will be the required reforms in place to enable a clean democratic election no later than 2015 and the incumbent Military remove themselves from public office.

If they do a comprehensive job with regard to the restructuring and reforming of the administration then this may be a good solution for Thailand providing they themselves return to being soldiers and not politicians.

He was showing that corruption is bad for Thailand, but does he realy care, he got the job now, lets see what happens. i can see many moaning with increase of tax, to pay for the submarine,increases of fines for speeding/ parking etc.

Shouldn't it be:

Prayuth "elected" as 29th PM.

Not sure if my eyes are gone but it clearly says he was elected 29th prime minister of Thailand. Where you coming from.

he argues about "the" bit

Thai students can beat Falangs at grammar any day.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Calling it elected as primeminister is a gross misreprentation of the truth

Why? He is doing a stellar job!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The press say he was elected today with a win of >97%.

What is wrong with that?

elected the wrong word

In any democracy 100% of the vote is not possible but who is saying this is a democracy any longer, if it every has been?

Anyway, he has apparently been cleaning up the Thailand "act" and doing a reasonable job of it, so let's hope he continues and peace prevails until a semblance of democracy returns over the coming year(s).

The interim constitution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_interim_constitution_of_Thailand) does not have a specific end date. Other constitutions specify timeframes for elections - the US is on a fixed schedules and many other parliements are capped at 5 years but generally occur within 4. The interim constitution specified timeframes for a new constitution, but with absolute veto power by the NCPO.

So, PM for life is within the scope of the interim constitution.

Absurd extrapolation. :wacko:facepalm.gifcrazy.gif

The general is not going to like that article one bit whistling.gif

"The vote... was the kind of rushed acclamation favoured by dictatorships and communist parties of old. In just 15 minutes, 191 out of 194..."

What gets my goat is that since the coup my copy of The Economist has been stopped as often as it's been delivered. This week's has, no doubt next week's will be too. Annoying because I can't get to read the other things in the magazine. Futile because anyone who wants to can read the thai stuff online where they have the key editorial pieces. Idiotic because those in Thaialand who might read the Economist are dyed in the wool junta supporters who know which side their bread's buttered. And anyway the Economist is almost certainly the most widely read publication among the world's political and business leaders - and they aren't being stopped. I suppose dictatorships are seldom capable of thinking anything through.

• Like 1

Any data to support that?

The economy barely avoided technical recession, tourist numbers despite misleading headlines are way down... He has done a stellar job with populist PR stunts, like beach food stall management, an even more spectacular job at replacing key figures with his own buddies in schoolbook cases of cronyism. hmmmm ...but wait a minute.... errr.... wasn't that the exact reasons those who support the coup said PTP had to go?

Any tourism data, finance figures, etc will hardly be available for the last 10 weeks. To me it suggests the last lot has to take responsibility for most of the data given

There seem to be a lot of gloom and doom merchants out early today along with many naysayers.

Yes, strange that. Why do you think that is?

I am not sure really. Why don't you ask all your supporters and friends who only seem to support the PTP and its owners and who seem to dislike anything that anybody else does and pours scorn on it?

• Like 2