Digital nomad, online workers.. Permission !

I suggest you go to the Philippines. They really do not care less if you are working as a digital nomad or not. They are happy for you to go there and spend money and it's not a country that's full of expats who cannot stop talking about what others do and if they pay the correct taxes or not.

Thank you Richard for your suggestion. I have been to the Philippines and I wouldn't consider it as an option for myself since I am not a Digital Nomad. Although it is a beautiful country.

However I agree with you that the Digital Nomads in Thailand would be able to work unmolested there.

• Like 1

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I feel that I am continually repeating myself here.

What would be the argument to both immigration and labour that someone should be issued a visa because they are just starting out in the business and don't meet financial requirements that everyone else needs?

Why should someone be granted a visa because they are old and have a pension? Same rules apply, economy, money, financial gain, read a book or 2 if you have your glasses

The main difference that I can see is that one is abiding by the laws of the country and the other is trying to create one to suit their life style.

Of course, with the possibility that maybe, not guaranteed, that everything may turn out good one day.

Ever hear of that phrase 'supply and demand'? Well I am sure if there WAS a visa for these types it would be lapped up and the Thai economy would serve very well from the tax and general income. Do retired old farts pay tax?

too funny!

I'm teaching here for 30k a month. My taxes?

450 baht.

That won't buy the gov't a dozen chang!

There are 200k of us expats living in Thailand. Many polls on Thai Visa have come up with $1,000 a month average spending.

Being generous for argument's sake, let's boost it to $30k per year.

That would be $6 billion expats spend in Thailand. Out of a GDP of $390 billion. We account for .015% of Thailand's economy.

• Like 1

Of course, with the possibility that maybe, not guaranteed, that everything may turn out good one day.

Ever hear of that phrase 'supply and demand'? Well I am sure if there WAS a visa for these types it would be lapped up and the Thai economy would serve very well from the tax and general income. Do retired old farts pay tax?

too funny!

450 baht.

There are 200k of us expats living in Thailand. Many polls on Thai Visa have come up with $1,000 a month average spending.

That would be $6 billion expats spend in Thailand. Out of a GDP of $390 billion. We account for .015% of Thailand's economy.

Point well taken. But your math needs improvement. Please tell me you're teaching English, not math?

Slipped a couple of decimals... 6/390 = 1.5% (BTW, Don't feel bad, I wish that were the worst booboo I will make today...)

Edited by impulse

I would have thought that any country would welcome digital nomads - representing an 'export'. Digital nomads earn outside of Thailand and spend most of their money inside Thailand.....surely that's got to be good for the economy?

When I was in Indonesia immigration had a crack down on digital nomads for working illegally. Nett result: The landlords lost a tenant, the domestic staff put out of work, domestic staff lost their insurance cover, motorbike rental place lost a customer, taxi driver lost a customer too, local restaurants lost regular customer, the local private doctor lost a patient, and the 'banjar' lost its ability to collect local tax from the foreign resident. All in all, the $4,000 a month spent went elsewhere. Many re-located to Thailand. However, Cambodia is now on the map, VietNam too, and as soon as the internet becomes more reliable. then Thailand will also start losing this income if they see digital nomads as 'working illegally'. Digital nomads are creating jobs and providing employment, not taking it away.

I would have thought that any country would welcome digital nomads - representing an 'export'. Digital nomads earn outside of Thailand and spend most of their money inside Thailand.....surely that's got to be good for the economy?

When I was in Indonesia immigration had a crack down on digital nomads for working illegally. Nett result: The landlords lost a tenant, the domestic staff put out of work, domestic staff lost their insurance cover, motorbike rental place lost a customer, taxi driver lost a customer too, local restaurants lost regular customer, the local private doctor lost a patient, and the 'banjar' lost its ability to collect local tax from the foreign resident. All in all, the $4,000 a month spent went elsewhere. Many re-located to Thailand. However, Cambodia is now on the map, VietNam too, and as soon as the internet becomes more reliable. then Thailand will also start losing this income if they see digital nomads as 'working illegally'. Digital nomads are creating jobs and providing employment, not taking it away.

does your country allow digital nomads to move in and stay permanently?

• Like 1

Only from other EU countries, from elsewhere, no it doesn't, but it should.

The Thais could invent a new visa for on-line workers, let's say a 5 year permit, add some taxation rules to it etc.

They do welcome digital nomads. Just like they welcome other businesses. But there are rules and requirements beyond flying in, opening up the old laptop, and watching the money flow tax free into your offshore account.

The OP seems to be about a guy (taken out of context) indicating that it's fine for tourists to fire off some emails, write a few lines of code, tend to affiliates blogs, and trade some shares while they're on holiday in Thailand.

But that's not the same as setting up a permanent presence and settling down in Thailand. That's possible, too. But there are capital requirements and other rules- just like there are for all foreigner involved businesses here.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

so why did Indonesia crack down on "digital nomads" then ?.....if the TV threads are to believed, only xenophobic, racist Thailand will not give "digital nomads" a long term visa, indonesia, Singapore and few other places welcomes them with open arms...

If digital nomadsare not getting legal, they are not creating jobs or employment for anyone so please dont use a teneous example of how digital nomads provide jobs and income to the local noodle seller, the local noodle seller would be in business with or without "high spending" digital nomads....thumbsup.gif

The Thais could invent a new visa for on-line workers, let's say a 5 year permit, add some taxation rules to it etc.

It depends on the country. There are a lot of Thais working in Europe, mainly in the restaurant business. There are very few Thai digital nomads but if they earn enough, they would be allowed in. Some countries put the limit around 3000 euros per month. Then they could setup their own company with little restrictions.

so what your saying is a foreigner who works legally in Thailand currently pays their income tax, social security etc gets a 1 or 2 year WP at present, but a new WP system needs to be created to give on liners 5 year permit for paying a "bit" tax...?

ah that sense of self entitlement is shining though again...thumbsup.gif

how about on liners, form a THB 1.0 or 2.0 million Thai Ltd company, pay 25-30% withholding/provisional tax, (as work is done outside Thailand) pay for private medical insurance, pay into the social security fund and are subjected to annual auditing of their books = annual extension/WP ?

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

so why did Indonesia crack down on "digital nomads" then ?.....if the TV threads are to believed, only xenophobic, racist Thailand will not give "digital nomads" a long term visa, indonesia, Singapore and few other places welcomes them with open arms...

If digital nomadsare not getting legal, they are not creating jobs or employment for anyone so please dont use a teneous example of how digital nomads provide jobs and income to the local noodle seller, the local noodle seller would be in business with or without "high spending" digital nomads....thumbsup.gif

Um.....'so please dont use a teneous example of how digital nomads provide jobs' - it is in my personal experience....I didn't just make that up. I knew/know people who are 'digital nomads' or running their companies remotely and who have large houses, cars, domestic staff...not 'noodle vendor' people.....but people earning a significant income. Not all digital nomads are a guy with a laptop barely making ends meet. There is obviously a 'profile' here, or an image, regarding the standard digital nomad - however, not everyone fits that profile.

Of course the local noodle seller would be in business still.

so what your saying is a foreigner who works legally in Thailand currently pays their income tax, social security etc gets a 1 or 2 year WP at present, but a new WP system needs to be created to give on liners 5 year permit for paying a "bit" tax...?

ah that sense of self entitlement is shining though again...thumbsup.gif

how about on liners, form a THB 1.0 or 2.0 million Thai Ltd company, pay 25-30% withholding/provisional tax, (as work is done outside Thailand) pay for private medical insurance, pay into the social security fund and are subjected to annual auditing of their books = annual extension/WP ?

Wow..we went from expressing an opinion on Thai immigration to an accusation of 'sense of entitlement'.

First you say, "I have spent nearly the last 30 years making a living "on the road" and reducing my tax burden," and then you demand those onliners to setup a Thai LTD!? I'd bet you got offshore accounts.

Do you even care what you write in your previous post? So you are yourself using tax optimization techniques already with all kinds of allowances and other tricks....hypocrite.

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 2

There are very few Thai digital nomads but if they earn enough, they would be allowed in. Some countries put the limit around 3000 euros per month. Then they could setup their own company with little restrictions.

on what basis are they allowed in Timwin, because they are running an on line business, without company formation or investment ?.....your dreaming... go back to sleep.

the key difference between Europe and Thailand is that europe has more stringent requirements to be allowed in, in the first instance, once in, yes it can be easier,

Thailand on the other hand makes it easier to get in, but makes it harder to remain long term without proper reason.

A Thai national cannot legally travel to Europe or the UK, laptop in hand on a tourist visa, set up shop and remain in europe running their on line business, visa running and not paying income tax in the country they choose to live in.

But by all means adopt polices similar to Europe, but one suspects the vast majority bleating right now, will not be in Thailand, simply because they wouldnt qualify on the up front requirements to be permitted to stay long term.

• Like 2

Um.....'so please dont use a teneous example of how digital nomads provide jobs' - it is in my personal experience....I didn't just make that up. I knew/know people who are 'digital nomads' or running their companies remotely and who have large houses, cars, domestic staff...not 'noodle vendor' people.....but people earning a significant income. Not all digital nomads are a guy with a laptop barely making ends meet. There is obviously a 'profile' here, or an image, regarding the standard digital nomad - however, not everyone fits that profile.

Of course the local noodle seller would be in business still.

Why did indonesia crack down on "digital nomads" ?

and have you been writing ad nauseum on forums encouraging your country to do so?

on what basis are they allowed in Timwin, because they are running an on line business, without company formation or investment ?.....your dreaming... go back to sleep.

http://www.nunomad.com/blog/working-as-a-digital-nomad-in-eastern-europe/

A lot of Americans are already doing it with their tourist visas. You are behind the times, old man.

Edited by Timwin

It depends on the country. There are a lot of Thais working in Europe, mainly in the restaurant business. There are very few Thai digital nomads but if they earn enough, they would be allowed in. Some countries put the limit around 3000 euros per month. Then they could setup their own company with little restrictions.

Do tell me where these mythical EU countries are where I can set up a company and so long as it earns 3000 euros a month I can stay?

too funny!

450 baht.

Point well taken. But your math needs improvement. Please tell me you're teaching English, not math?

Slipped a couple of decimals... 6/390 = 1.5% (BTW, Don't feel bad, I wish that were the worst booboo I will make today...)

Oh Sh@@@te! I'm horrible at math and I have a calculator! Thanks! Yes, teaching English. The students are far better at math than I'll ever be.

• Like 1

and have you been writing ad nauseum on forums encouraging your country to do so?

No, I've not lived in 'my country' for 40 years.

It seems you want to decide who has a right to express and opinion or not. I have spent almost all of my life, including birth and childhood, schooling as a foreigner in Asia and Africa, and some in South America too. I am of mixed heritage, raised with more than one language and have a differing view of this type of situation. Being 'foreigner' has been my entire life.

What I don't care for in these forums is how some individuals like to nit pik at other people and make it far more personal, using projections and images about people they don't even know, or discounting them as they don't fit some standard. Are you really saying that in order for me to have an opinion about Thai law then I need to have lobbied my own Government? That's one way of discounting everyone else's opinion apart from your own. Opinions are like &lt;deleted&gt;, we all have one. And most opinions do not define us as 'nice' or 'not nice' people - they are simply what they are, right or wrong - and you're free to express yours in disagreement without and attempt to prove me wrong, ineligible or as anything else

First you say, "I have spent nearly the last 30 years making a living "on the road" and reducing my tax burden," and then you demand those onliners to setup a Thai LTD!? I'd bet you got offshore accounts.

Do you even care what you write in your previous post? So you are yourself using tax optimization techniques already with all kinds of allowances and other tricks....hypocrite.

Hardly hypocritical dear boy, correct I am using tax optimization and do have offshore accounts, but all my tax optimization and offshore accounts are perfectly legal, which is borne out every year by the clean bill of health I get every year from the tax department, and I do pay income tax in Thailand.

so before bleating on about someone being a hypercite try and understand the subject your trying to comment on before shooting your mouth off, as you really dont have a clue...wink.png

I am legally in the system in Thailand, I have a WP, my taxes get paid, so please show me where I am being a hypercite, I am not doing anything illegal according to the tax department, and I get a letter off them every year, saying they dont owe me money and I dont owe them money...further there is no rule which says I cannot have an offshore account (s)...

your grasping at staws little Timmy, you sounding a like a little boy in and adult world.

The average onliner working in Thailand are resident more than 180 days per year in Thailand are paying FA income tax anywhere, big difference, and please dont give me some BS about paying VAT.

There's a significant difference in reducing tax burdens and avoiding paying income tax altogether, which is what you want.

Considering that you claim that digital nomads are raking in large amounts of cash, then it shouldn't be to difficult to set up a legal entity and stay here long term. There's always Singapore for you

• Like 1

Do tell me where these mythical EU countries are where I can set up a company and so long as it earns 3000 euros a month I can stay?

Samran, My research indicates the country is called "Neverneverland"

• Like 1

No, I've not lived in 'my country' for 40 years.

It seems you want to decide who has a right to express and opinion or not. I have spent almost all of my life, including birth and childhood, schooling as a foreigner in Asia and Africa, and some in South America too. I am of mixed heritage, raised with more than one language and have a differing view of this type of situation. Being 'foreigner' has been my entire life.

What I don't care for in these forums is how some individuals like to nit pik at other people and make it far more personal, using projections and images about people they don't even know, or discounting them as they don't fit some standard. Are you really saying that in order for me to have an opinion about Thai law then I need to have lobbied my own Government? That's one way of discounting everyone else's opinion apart from your own. Opinions are like <deleted>, we all have one. And most opinions do not define us as 'nice' or 'not nice' people - they are simply what they are, right or wrong - and you're free to express yours in disagreement without and attempt to prove me wrong, ineligible or as anything else

i couldnt care a whit about your image. i asked you as question. a simple yes or no would have done. your essays bore me

Timwinland?

• Like 2

http://www.nunomad.com/blog/working-as-a-digital-nomad-in-eastern-europe/

A lot of Americans are already doing it with their tourist visas. You are behind the times, old man.

where in that piece does it say it legal to do it ?..... this is basically a "lonely planet" splub...I could also quote similar links which say the same thing about Thailand, but it seems legally at least in Thailand, you shouldnt be doing it....thumbsup.gif

nice try but no starbucks

I'm not trying to get in the middle of this pissing contest. Just wanted to point out that Germany offers a freelance visa/extension. They don't just give it to you, but its not hard to get if you are a real freelancer and have business plan. Same with some South American countries. Of course, Germany is not cheap, so most of the budding "Digital Nomads" that I've met in Thailand would not be able to survive there....yet.

I'm not trying to get in the middle of this pissing contest. Just wanted to point out that Germany offers a freelance visa/extension. They don't just give it to you, but its not hard to get if you are a real freelancer and have business plan. Same with some South American countries. Of course, Germany is not cheap, so most of the budding "Digital Nomads" that I've met in Thailand would not be able to survive there....yet.

and you have no reason to get in the middle of this p*ssing contest steve, yours is a well balanced, thought out post...laugh.png

but out of interest, what does someone need to do in Germany to be issued this...?