Security bars on windows or contents insurance policy. What do you have?

davidst01

Yep we have it, we cover the building as well, even though it's rented - Thai law means renter is responsible, if it burns down for example.

Pay about 15k a year to cover all contents and building, including named items away from the property.

Haven't had to make a claim so can't really comment on how good they are, but company is NZI and we found it via aainsure, sponsors of one of the forums here - they were very good.

Does it take care of theft?

Yes, so long as damage is caused during entry or exit whistling.gif

Guess that's burglary though.

"Window bars"

Crooks go for an easy target, I got these made up out of reo and angle cost about $20 each.

When you leave, leave them there.

As well as the bars you might think about putting up in view, a round red tail light lens

so anyone sussing out a target thinks its an alarm system

On Safari in Africa I asked my guide what we would do if a big cat stumbled across us, concerned at becoming prey.

He turned and said, "Run as fast as you can". I pondered this thought for a moment before asking him if he can out run a big cat. He looked me in the eye and said, "I don't have to run faster than the cat, I just have to run faster than you"....... this was followed with a very evil laugh. Needless to say, dago.....I'd say you are absolutely correct about what you are saying above.

I like that.

A +1 for sure.

Perimeter alarm and flood light is the most effective, having a dog is also good.

Thats another good idea sensors hooked up to flood lights and a sound system lights

go on sound system starts barking virtual pack of dogs.

Virtual dog barking would surely only work on virtual robbers ?

I reakon the sound of small arms fire after the intruder steps over a trip wire would be the way to go. Nothing over the top, AK47 would do the trick ;)

• Like 1

Unless you are planning a very short stay at your present address , ask the landlord's permission and install bars to the windows , it shouldn't be hugely expensive .

If you change address , just leave the bars where they are . We live in the country , I asked my wife about insurance for house and posessions , it seems there isn't any .

When we built our home in the Bueng Khong Long I asked my wife the same question, what about home owners insurance, she was shocked, had never heard of such thing. Most village folks have no insurance. I contact 3 companies in Udon Thai, all 3 offered similar packages as I would find in the states. I insured the buildings, including out building for 4,000,000, the contents for 2,000,000, and also have accidental, of 500,000 if someone is hurt on my property. Also 250,000 if we are visiting someone else's home and cause any damage to their property. The only thing they would not cover was personal electronics', phones, lap tops, etc.

Unless you are planning a very short stay at your present address , ask the landlord's permission and install bars to the windows , it shouldn't be hugely expensive .

If you change address , just leave the bars where they are . We live in the country , I asked my wife about insurance for house and posessions , it seems there isn't any .

When we built our home in the Bueng Khong Long I asked my wife the same question, what about home owners insurance, she was shocked, had never heard of such thing. Most village folks have no insurance. I contact 3 companies in Udon Thai, all 3 offered similar packages as I would find in the states. I insured the buildings, including out building for 4,000,000, the contents for 2,000,000, and also have accidental, of 500,000 if someone is hurt on my property. Also 250,000 if we are visiting someone else's home and cause any damage to their property. The only thing they would not cover was personal electronics', phones, lap tops, etc.

For how much and what is the name of the company.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Perimeter alarm and flood light is the most effective, having a dog is also good.

Thats another good idea sensors hooked up to flood lights and a sound system lights

go on sound system starts barking virtual pack of dogs.

Virtual dog barking would surely only work on virtual robbers ?

I reakon the sound of small arms fire after the intruder steps over a trip wire would be the way to go. Nothing over the top, AK47 would do the trick wink.png

Actually, virtual possessions are the best. They aint got nothing physical worf nicking!!@!!!!!!

• Like 1

I know its been said already but a profesional burgular will hit the houses with bars, alarms, dogs ect because why go to all that trouble and expense if you havent got anything worth having, now what you have to ask yourself is are there profesional burglars working your area? plus I think you'll attract attention from the locals which may be unwanted, I think a lot of Thais think farang got money so putting bars up ect may just fuel that.

I know its been said already but a profesional burgular will hit the houses with bars, alarms, dogs ect because why go to all that trouble and expense if you havent got anything worth having, now what you have to ask yourself is are there profesional burglars working your area? plus I think you'll attract attention from the locals which may be unwanted, I think a lot of Thais think farang got money so putting bars up ect may just fuel that.

I actually have a sign outside my house which says "THIS HOUSE HAS SWFA, donations graciously received". I've yet to get anything.

Got robbed ,lap tops and gold Etc on a. Visit to Europe ,upon return asked around for insurance , their were so many things I could not insure that it simply was not feasible , lap tops, I pads, watches , gold , just a waste of time. I live in Hua Hin.

Couldnt live with those bars in front of my windows, would feel locked away. Also I dont like dogs so for now I am happy to live in a condo with 24/7 3 security guards, cctv everywhere . Still one day would love to have a house and a garden somwhere.

As I live in a high-rise condo I dont need bars on the patio doors. In fact I never lock them and in the cool months I leave them open all night.

But I do have contents insurance, just in case of leaks or fire etc. Apparently it also covers theft though I cant imagine why I would ever need to claim on it.

Just built a new villa. No bars at all, no alarm systems. Just a good safe attached to the wall and floor and everything valuable inside it. I will make an insurance policy just for the stuff they break, but I really doubt they can get anything valuable.

Why fit those horribly looking bars, you could fit magnetic catches to the doors and windows, all connected by wi-fi to an audible alarm system, that can relay and be controlled from your own phone anywhere in the world, at a much lower cost.

Can you provide the model/ brand and location of where this wi-fi can be purchased to work with mobile phone? Thank you in advance.

I would say it entirely depends where you live.

Big difference and different issues from beach town, to city ghetto to rural farming area and everything in between.

Security at our house:

1. Stainless steel solid front gates . . . always open;

2. Hardwood front doors . . . always wide open;

3. Hardwood rear doors . . . closed most of the time to keep snakes out, never locked;

4. Windows you can pull out from the outside, no bars;

5. Garden rear gate, bit of wire to keep it from swinging;

6. Scooters in front yard, keys always in ignition;

7. Small safe in kitchen under units . . . need to fix this thing to the wall really.

13 years, never been hit. Country area. Sometimes find the old boy from down the road laid up on the sofa watching the telly. I make him a pot of tea and some grub.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

Why fit those horribly looking bars, you could fit magnetic catches to the doors and windows, all connected by wi-fi to an audible alarm system, that can relay and be controlled from your own phone anywhere in the world, at a much lower cost.

Can you provide the model/ brand and location of where this wi-fi can be purchased to work with mobile phone? Thank you in advance.

Our system comprises of 4 internal movement sensors and about 6 magnetic sensors, professionally fitted to doors and windows, all for 10,000 bht. The system can be operated by our phones, and it enables us to stipulate which areas are activated, enabling us to have a set up for when we are in the house and a different one for when we are away. I have just looked at the control panel and unfortunately there is no name on it, having said that I do know there are many security installation companies in most parts of Thailand, failing that there are many suppliers in BKK, including Pantip plaza. One warning make sure the system is powered by a reserve battery in addition to the house electricity supply, just on case the thief switches your electric off. Again if the electric supply is cut-off, you can be automatically informed to your Mobil.

security bars are a death trap in case of a fire...!

I know using doors to walk in and out of a house is a new idea but........ Why wouldn't people walk, enter or exit a home using the doors? There are bars on the doors and locks on doors. One opens the lock and exits the home?

Edited by thailiketoo

bars on windows are as much use as chocolate teapot as they will jack them apart or bust the door down instead .or climb thru the roof

Most burglaries are spur of the moment walk by burglaries. My house has a 150 Kg safe that one would have to lift through the roof or pull through a window with bars.

Three houses in a row. One has bars and dogs. Two don't. Which would you choose as a burglar?

If you bring a tank to my house and put a round through the front door you can get in. How many petty criminals own a tank?

You don't have to make your house impervious to theft. You have to make it more difficult than anyone else on the block.

post-187908-0-60124500-1408809629_thumb.

post-187908-0-47701100-1408809645_thumb.

post-187908-0-69680400-1408809895_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo

bars on windows are as much use as chocolate teapot as they will jack them apart or bust the door down instead .or climb thru the roof

Most burglaries are spur of the moment walk by burglaries. My house has a 150 Kg safe that one would have to lift through the roof or pull through a window with bars.

Three houses in a row. One has bars and dogs. Two don't. Which would you choose as a burglar?

If you bring a tank to my house and put a round through the front door you can get in. How many petty criminals own a tank?

You don't have to make your house impervious to theft. You have to make it more difficult than anyone else on the block.

It's all down to personal preference, I personally think these bars are very ugly, not only to you but also to any prospective purchaser. Of course if you don't own the property then your not going to worry about the sell on price, but still they must give the appearance of a prison, and who would want to return home every day to a prison.

• Like 1

It's all down to personal preference, I personally think these bars are very ugly, not only to you but also to any prospective purchaser. Of course if you don't own the property then your not going to worry about the sell on price, but still they must give the appearance of a prison, and who would want to return home every day to a prison.

The truth be known my dog is not very pretty either. My dog is mean ugly and so are my bars and I sleep well at night.

CityNews – In the morning of May 30th May Hangdong Police Station received a call saying that a foreigner had been stabbed to death at 242 /50 Thanaboon Village, Moo 2, Sanphakwan, Hangdong, Chiang Mai.

CityNews – On 26th March, 2.30 a.m. Chiang Mai City Police arrested Thanakarn Manoros, aka Bank (27) who was accused of an armed robbery and attempted murder at Chomtawan Place 2 in Mae Hia.

• Like 1

We live in a high-rise condo with building security that (mostly) looks over people entering the building. Haven't heard of any crime in the building during the five years we've lived here, except for "inside" jobs, which is what turned out to be the case in the first report of the previous post. It wasn't a random burglary, but someone known to the victim, who was trying to make a murder look like a random crime. No window bars, barking dogs, or security systems would have helped this poor guy. Don't know about the second case.

Despite living in a fairly crime-free building, we still have insurance, the NZI insurance mentioned by others. And yes, you can insure computers, antiques, special collections, etc with riders on the policy. Oh yeah, our condo came with bars on the windows, too, but I think they're pretty worthless. We're just too lazy to get them removed. The cat can push them out if the window's open, so I'm not too worried about a fire.

Edited by NancyL