War of the Lizards

Muggi1968

How to kill a BIG lizard...
I have a big lizard (joc) here .

It has eaten almost all my gold fish in my pond..

How Can I scar it away or kill it.
It is about 1 m long and even the neighbor dog is afraid of it...

I think it will be to dangerous to try and shoot it ..

Poison ?

any idea ?
wai.gif

I had a one meter long water monitor (lizard) turn up in my courtyard.

2AM one morning I woke up and opened the door to go out into the courtyard for some fresh air. Immediately after opening the door my seven cats came screaming into the house terrified. The beast was lost and disoriented. They are quite slow moving, in the cold season, and I whacked it on the head a couple of times with a heavy pipe hoe. The second whack killed it.

I gave it to the neighbors, they burned the skin off, and ate it, Thai style. (after cooking it). I tasted, it tastes a lot like cobra.

Use a long heavy blunt object and bash it in the head. They are not aggressive... in the cold season.

The type of lizard you are talking about are very common in Thailand. In my Bangkok moobaan with water canals I see them all the time...they are fish, frog, and bird hunting. In fact, today the wife and I saw one a little over a meter long swimming on top of the water. The wife thought it was some puppy that fell in the canal and made me stop the car and get out and look to confirm it wasn't a puppy needing saving....confirmed it was just a lizard. We even have one lizard that is around two meters long that we see occasionally/3 or 4 times a year...and I'm assuming it's the same lizard....it may be several of them. They are very scared of humans and will run/swim away from you like their life depended on it when you get so close...they are definitely fast runners and can also go up a tree in nothing flat.

The type of lizard you are talking about are very common in Thailand. In my Bangkok moobaan with water canals I see them all the time...they are fish, frog, and bird hunting. In fact, today the wife and I saw one a little over a meter long swimming on top of the water. The wife thought it was some puppy that fell in the canal and made me stop the car and get out and look to confirm it wasn't a puppy needing saving....confirmed it was just a lizard. We even have one lizard that is around two meters long that we see occasionally/3 or 4 times a year...and I'm assuming it's the same lizard....it may be several of them. They are very scared of humans and will run/swim away from you like their life depended on it when you get so close...they are definitely fast runners and can also go up a tree in nothing flat.

These lizards are also very common in the warmer parts of Australia. The Aborigines kill and cook them.

A common name is 'race horse goanna". They can move rather rapidly when the weather is warm, and it is said they like to climb a tree or person to seek safety.

These lizards are also very common in the warmer parts of Australia. The Aborigines kill and cook them.

A common name is 'race horse goanna". They can move rather rapidly when the weather is warm, and it is said they like to climb a tree or person to seek safety.

Just a few months ago I saw one around a meter long run up a tree next to a 2.5M high wall and then jumped out of tree to the other side of the wall...he did it in record time...went up the tree like a squirrel. He was heck-bent to get away from the wife and me as we walked by with our killer Chihuahuas.

If the OP's lizard is a pest and fast moving perhaps he could trap it. I Suggest he ask some locals how best to deal with this as every time I have used poison for other pests it has killed unintended victims.

Good luck.

If the OP's lizard is a pest and fast moving perhaps he could trap it. I Suggest he ask some locals how best to deal with this as every time I have used poison for other pests it has killed unintended victims.

Good luck.

It seems that in Thailand, it is still legal to trap or kill native wildlife. sad.png

2AM one morning I woke up and opened the door to go out into the courtyard for some fresh air. Immediately after opening the door my seven cats came screaming into the house terrified. The beast was lost and disoriented. They are quite slow moving, in the cold season, and I whacked it on the head a couple of times with a heavy pipe hoe. The second whack killed it.

I gave it to the neighbors, they burned the skin off, and ate it, Thai style. (after cooking it). I tasted, it tastes a lot like cobra.

Use a long heavy blunt object and bash it in the head. They are not aggressive... in the cold season.

Mr. 96, You do realise that monitor lizards are protected species In Thailand, don't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_monitor#Conservation

• Like 2

Doing my dog walk about an hour ago I saw another two meter long lizard in my Bangkok moobaan...in a completely different area than where I normally see them. Now I only saw "most" of his tail as he went under a concrete slab around an unlived in house...I estimate the part I did see to be around a meter...I figure the part of the lizard's body I didn't see was at least another meters worth.

Doing my dog walk about an hour ago I saw another two meter long lizard in my Bangkok moobaan...in a completely different area than where I normally see them. Now I only saw "most" of his tail as he went under a concrete slab around an unlived in house...I estimate the part I did see to be around a meter...I figure the part of the lizard's body I didn't see was at least another meters worth.

Another fisherman's tale. Odd how you were able to see something(...I saw another two meter long lizard...) that you didn't see (...the lizard's body I didn't see...).

Another fisherman's tale. Odd how you were able to see something(...I saw another two meter long lizard...) that you didn't see (...the lizard's body I didn't see...).

Where there's one meter of tail, there's another meter of body. If I only see the rear half of an elephant, I can be pretty sure of what the front half looks like. Like I said, in our moobaan these guys are regularly seen as we have plenty of canals/water features...most of the lizards are around a meter in length but we've got some old guys around 2 meters in length from tail tip to nose tip. About every other month a small/young one of around a half meter gets turned into a pancake by a vehicle running over it.

You should get a bash on the head with a pipe. Cruel and quite unnecessary.

Mr. 96, You do realise that monitor lizards are protected species In Thailand, don't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_monitor#Conservation

Before your post I did not realize that. Now I do.

I learn something every day on TV.