Mt Biking Cambodia

junglechef

You can rent decent mountain bikes in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh (decent not amazing - Giant brand mid-range bikes) and then cart them anywhere you want to cycle. I find it oppressively hot and cycling is uncomfortable for it - in the Winter months, it's a pure joy though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, as I'm heading over in a few days the weather should be fine but I'm use to racing in the Thai summers I think i'm pretty acclimated to it by now.

Planning on flying BKK to Siem Reap and then Siem Reap to Phnom Penh and the finding some transport to beach area but I'm totally open. Any suggestions of where to ride and if I should take a rental bike w/me from PP to the south. I've also heard that maybe there is some riding in Cardamons or around thre, would love to find some jungle single track!

Thanks

I'll be honest; I've only ridden in SR and PP (I don't do jungles for my incredible arachnophobia can't take it) - I've heard the Cardamoms are awesome for biking too (though potentially a little dangerous - it's bandit country) and that cycling in Ratankiri and Mondulkiri can be very rewarding too.

• Like 1

Thanks, I love all those creep crawler things esp snakes so I'm a happy camper in the jungle. I'm a bit of an adventurer so not overly concerned with bandits either but would rather avoid them if possible. I've escaped a few kidnapping attempts in Columbia and other locales but as I now have a child I limit my life threatening situations.

I'll check into the other places you mentioned. Do you live in Siem Reap?

Yes, I live in Siem Reap - for me, it's one of the best places to be in Asia. It's beautiful, peaceful and has a bag load of facilities thanks to the tourists passing through each day. And I'm not ashamed to say; I don't think it's possible not to be blown away by the Angkor Temples each and every time you visit.

I've spoken to some mt bikers there incl. the 7 time Cambodian Cycling Champion and Olympian, whom I plan on riding with from Phnom Penh to the coast, said that riding off the beaten path is dangerous because of unexploded ordinances. When I rode the Ho Chi Min trail in Laos I was sure to stay on the beaten single track, as this is what the locals used, so no being like a bear and you-know-what in the woods.

ggt - is this the kind of danger your talking about? I've heard of bandit in the Cardamon for example and I'm sure their are thieves etc to be careful of as one does get a false sense of security of S.E. Asia living in the very safe Thailand.

Mines are becoming much less of an issue now; UN demining efforts have been going on in force for years and while Cambodia won't be "landmine free" for a few more years - you would have to work to step/cycle on one as the number of landmine injuries for locals have dropped dramatically in recent years and they get much, much more exposure to Cambodia than any tourist on a bike will.

I strongly disagree that Cambodia is particularly dangerous. Given the visitor volumes and hospital/police/embassy reports - Thailand is in fact much more dangerous than Cambodia to foreign visitors. Violent crime against foreigners is much, much rarer in Cambodia than in Thailand. Petty crime is rife but it is everywhere in Asia except for, perhaps, Singapore. While I know a few people who have been burgled here; I do not know any victims of anything more serious. In fact even bag snatching is so rare that whenever it happens to an expat it tends to make front page news here. Common sense will take you a long way in "lawless" Cambodia. Mainly because Khmer are relatively nice people by and large and they aren't looking to do you harm.

Mines are becoming much less of an issue now; UN demining efforts have been going on in force for years and while Cambodia won't be "landmine free" for a few more years - you would have to work to step/cycle on one as the number of landmine injuries for locals have dropped dramatically in recent years and they get much, much more exposure to Cambodia than any tourist on a bike will.

I strongly disagree that Cambodia is particularly dangerous. Given the visitor volumes and hospital/police/embassy reports - Thailand is in fact much more dangerous than Cambodia to foreign visitors. Violent crime against foreigners is much, much rarer in Cambodia than in Thailand. Petty crime is rife but it is everywhere in Asia except for, perhaps, Singapore. While I know a few people who have been burgled here; I do not know any victims of anything more serious. In fact even bag snatching is so rare that whenever it happens to an expat it tends to make front page news here. Common sense will take you a long way in "lawless" Cambodia. Mainly because Khmer are relatively nice people by and large and they aren't looking to do you harm.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've spoken to some mt bikers there incl. the 7 time Cambodian Cycling Champion and Olympian, whom I plan on riding with from Phnom Penh to the coast, said that riding off the beaten path is dangerous because of unexploded ordinances. When I rode the Ho Chi Min trail in Laos I was sure to stay on the beaten single track, as this is what the locals used, so no being like a bear and you-know-what in the woods.

ggt - is this the kind of danger your talking about? I've heard of bandit in the Cardamon for example and I'm sure their are thieves etc to be careful of as one does get a false sense of security of S.E. Asia living in the very safe Thailand.

Cambodia may be the poorest country in SE Asia...you...being a foreigner on a bike will attract attention...there are people who would take advantage of you if they can...you should be alright if you have a couple of biking partners...have a great adventure...take lots of pics...let us enjoy your ride vicariously...thru Thaivisa...

• Like 1

Though I believe it's hard to use the stats as it's hard to know if they are comparable, not just numbers but per/visitor etc. or even if real. I find Thailand so safe that I don't lock my door and allow my kids freedom. The ones here at least are usually acting stupid or asking for it. I've never had a problem in S.E. Asia unless I handed them my money, most probably under false pretenses, so buyer beware, but I do keep alert and especially keep my senses like not being drunk!! - but I hardly drink so that's no problem for me. I'm also pretty fit and not old looking so not the best target. Also I've been traveling my whole life so I definately have the advantage of experience and I'm looking forward visiting Angkor Wat since my last time 46 yrs ago in 1968!

Per visitor Thailand is more dangerous than Cambodia (at least based on reported incidents) but... I agree it's almost always about common sense. I could leave my front door unlocked here (I live in a security controlled hotel apartment), indeed for a couple of days I left it without lock when I had to kick the door down because the hotel had lost their spare key for my room, but I don't because I figure it is always better to be safe than sorry. Elsewhere in Siem Reap if you live at ground level, in particular, you would be insane to leave the door or even window unlocked and certainly you would never leave them open unless you were in the same room.

I wouldn't start screaming at a local. I wouldn't get drunk and then head to the dodgiest part of town to walk down alleyways. And so on... by and large, people seem to bring shit upon themselves. My favorite are the couple here who have now been burgled (in the same place) 4 times. Each time they lose thousands of dollars worth of equipment but it just doesn't seem to occur to them to pay a bit more for their accomodation and live somewhere safer...