TV refused at Ranong even though I don't have any previous TV

Drove to Ranong today as my 90 day(APEC) visa expires tomorrow. I was hoping to get a 15 day TV, which would see me through until next weeks trip to Savannakhet. They flatly refused, unless I had 10k plus and outward ticket., I arrived at 3.30pm hoping to catch the last boat from Andaman Club.

Just a warning to others!

Would also be interesting to know more about the OP's visa history, has he been staying in Thailand on Tourist visas/visa free entries for a long time? Apart from that, reading some previous threads I had to conclude that at Ranong they sometimes refuse people who are very obviously bona fide tourists.

The Ranong border is one of the worst. Sadao on the Malaysia border there is always some problem. Best to justr avoid their rude attitudes.

Not to say that anyone was rude or negative, but I have found many doors open wide by smiling, being postive and leaving my negativity at home.

It doesn't always work as some recipients are downright unhappy folks. In that case, I smile, thank them and move on.

• Like 2

Another vote to edit the title of thread to accurately portray the visa attempted (visa exempt stamp vs tourist visa). The current title will lead to unnecessary fearmongering.

Fear is often the result for those who have earned it through hard labor. Edited by Benmart
  • Like 2

They were issued at a land borders for NZ passport holders.

whats a 15 day tourist visa? never heard of it

thats a visa exemption

yes, yes yes... i think we all know people mean "visa exemption" when they talk about "15/30 day visa at the border" coffee1.gif

The Ranong border is one of the worst. Sadao on the Malaysia border there is always some problem. Best to justr avoid their rude attitudes.

If the new strong-armed government wants to show that they're serious about fixing this country, having the same laws at all border crossings would be a great start. It's ridiculous that these immigration officers should each decide what's acceptable, probably depending on their moods.

The other possibility is that some of these border immigration offices have decided that having attitudes and making the process difficult is to their advantage because fewer people will use those crossing points. It's a type of "make less work for ourselves" project.

Edited by waynethor
  • Like 2

isn't an apec card valid at land borders?

Yes, it is, but not after it's validity: "my 90 day(APEC) visa expires tomorrow".

I took "my 90 day(APEC) visa expires tomorrow" to mean his 90 day APEC visa exemption was expiring - not his card.

Then why would the OP hope for a 15 day visa exemption?

It would seem that after the OP had used his APEC Business Travel Card to travel to Thailand on business for three years he now wanted to make a trip to Thailand for the purpose of tourism for two weeks.

There was a waning about Ranong border crossing a few days ago by a member exiting on a marriage vsa , I replied to that post telling of my big problem with Immigration leaving and re entering on 13/8/14 on a non Imm B visa which I have used for approx. 10 years with no problems until Ranong.My advice in that post was not to go Ranong fly Singapore or other loocality.They obviously do not want in/out at Ranong for falang, only Burmeese. It pays to check this site for visa information before going anywhere for me I will only fly in and out from now on, never go Ranong again.

• Like 1

Fare comment mods feel free to change the title.

Another vote to edit the title of thread to accurately portray the visa attempted (visa exempt stamp vs tourist visa). The current title will lead to unnecessary fearmongering.

I didn't think they'd issue 90(APEC) days at a land crossing. Otherwise I would have taken my card. What's really annoyed me is that I have no overstays and not been a border runner. They didn't look at my previous history(stamps). Just to say no to a 15 day visa because of what!...because they can! And was mentioned in another post it means less work. They only need to deal with the gamblers visiting Andaman Club.

If you have an APEC card, why didn't you get yourself another 90 days?

Edited by Damaz6052