Allowed to fix my shop ?

Im opening a shop at the end of the year I am going to have to do some work on it eg.rebuild some walls knock some down and other stuff as our tennants havent looked after it,once ive done the building work we will be opening it, Am I allowed to do the work or do i need a work permit? also what is involved in getting a work permit I own 49% of the shop, my wife seems to think can just work there no problem because were married but I have told her I think i have to employ people and invest more money and it would be easier if she ran the shop.

You can't do any alterations or work in the shop unless you have a work permit, and how can you own 49% of the property? Only Thais can own land.

To get a work permit you will need to form a company and hire i think 5 Thais, think its a lot cheaper in the long run just to pay a builder to do your renovations and let the smarter half run the shop.

You can't do any alterations or work in the shop unless you have a work permit, and how can you own 49% of the property? Only Thais can own land.

To get a work permit you will need to form a company and hire i think 5 Thais, think its a lot cheaper in the long run just to pay a builder to do your renovations and let the smarter half run the shop.

Sounds like he already has a company, a limited Thai partnership where he is legally 49% owner. A limited Thai Partnership can own land and if he is 49% owner, effectively, he owns 49%. If the company were a sole proprietorship, as US citizens can form, the company would not be allowed to own land.

What you do to the building is an out of sight out of mind sort of thing. In most cases you will not have a problem.

When you open the shop if you want to work in it you will need a work permit but even that is limited as to what you can do. The company will need at least 1 million baht registered capital and dependent upon which office you apply for the work pemrit at you will need either 2 or 4 Thai employees.

Get a lease contract on the building, Then you can work on the building (renovate)

as simple as a dated and signed recipt, but to actualy work in the building once in

buisiness then you need a work permit.

The same as if you rent a house in your name or as a tenant with recipt, you can renovate it !

Get a lease contract on the building, Then you can work on the building (renovate)

as simple as a dated and signed recipt, but to actualy work in the building once in

The same as if you rent a house in your name or as a tenant with recipt, you can renovate it !

You can work on your home, but cannot work on rental properties you may own and cannot work on commercial buildings. Only on the home you live in and own. You also cannot work on a house that you are renting from another person. The renter is responsible for that work. And you cannot work on your house if that means you have to be on someone elses land ie, you cannot paint the outside of your fence. Strange laws in Thailand so be carefull ... get contractors in.. easy. deagobert, are you trying to get this op in trouble.. You cannot renovate by yourself as a tennent, that work is the responsibility of the owner. But the fine is only 110,000 bahts.. first offence. clap2.gif

Earlier this month I saw two young Farangs busily engaged in a shop renovation right off Moonmuang (CM).

Hammering away like a pair of Scunthorpe builders, but without coveralls. They looked like hipsters so

I doubt they had proper WP to be doing construction. None of my business but thought they were

a cheeky lot, flaunting the law so brazenly. To each his own, but if it is as dagobert indicates it should be OK, no?

Edited by arunsakda

You can work on your home, but cannot work on rental properties you may own and cannot work on commercial buildings. Only on the home you live in and own. You also cannot work on a house that you are renting from another person. The renter is responsible for that work. And you cannot work on your house if that means you have to be on someone elses land ie, you cannot paint the outside of your fence. Strange laws in Thailand so be carefull ... get contractors in.. easy. deagobert, are you trying to get this op in trouble.. You cannot renovate by yourself as a tennent, that work is the responsibility of the owner. But the fine is only 110,000 bahts.. first offence. clap2.gif

Please show the source for the difference between working on house owned and working on rented house. Also please show the source for 'not allowed to work on house from somebody else's land'. And finally, where did you find 'the fine is 110,000 Baht'?