Why Are You Here in Chiang Mai?

Mapguy

This question has been asked in various ways before. It is asked again in light of the tension of new enforcement, not new laws, governing foreigners in Thailand.

Why are you here? And why Chiang Mai? There are certainly a lot of reasons. What's your story, especially to note why you left where you were, definitely NOT to mimic some Tourist Authority of Thailand (TAT) publicity campaign?

Edited by Mapguy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No short answer... and you may not want the long one.

Understood! wai2.gif No one needs to know the details, just fundamental reason arrived at honestly. My personal reasons are also mixed as well as, I suppose, yours, might be. No, I don't want to hear your whole story, and you don't want to hear mine. This is not "group grope" clinical psychology. What I am suggesting is that people try to be as honest as they can be with themselves, I suppose, and give some brief explanation of why they are here. It could actually be illuminating and helpful for others, especially those who are considering moving here. And people might find some "soul buddies."

To suggest some examples:

Thailand is notorious for easy sex for horny elderly males with some cash for girls, boys or in-betweens. There are plenty of them around here.

In recent years, a fair number of foreign females have settled here, either with children or retired. Why?

How about "I couldn't stand my "nanny state!"

Another one might be that I couldn't stand my wife or children any more!

Or, I owe back taxes!

Or, the law was after me!

Or, I think I can live more cheaply here, and I will trust my good health to some god of good fortune.

Or, maybe some people are just dreaming to settle in some perceived "paradise."

And there must be other reasons!

Edited by Mapguy

It's home.

Excellent short answer.

You beat me to it.

A genuine and not at all a bad (albeit) short answer at all that rings true in my experience --- for staying.

Perhaps others might, but I don't find your initial response strange at all. So, why "home?" That can mean a lot of things. What might they be? In brief, even if a one-worder doesn't do the job.

I am here because I consider it home. The last few times back to Canada and the states I was always glad to be coming home. The last time in Pattaya when we got on the plane I was happy to be going home. This is home to me. Why did I come here because I was retired and the place I had lived in for 20 years never felt like home. Even though I owned my own home there.

Besides I had always been attracted to a different way of life. The freedom to be responsible for myself.

It is that simple I am home.

• Like 1

I am a sophisticated, well dressed man who wears his wife beater shirt proudly. Chiang Mai affords me the opportunity to live and play in style. You'll find me hanging out in the various drinking establishments on Soi 2 down from Thapae Gate, or, when my $800 Social Security check arrives, on Loi Kroh.

• Like 1

"

Thailand is notorious for easy sex for horny elderly males with some cash for girls, boys or in-betweens. There are plenty of them around here.

In recent years, a fair number of foreign females have settled here, either with children or retired. Why?

Or, I owe back taxes!

Or, I think I can live more cheaply here, and I will trust my good health to some god of good fortune.

And there must be other reasons!"

Now you are telling us why we are here!!!

I will now exit this thread because it isn't genuine.

Perhaps let people be, and just tell your own reasons for yourself.

Had several years without a holiday as had a good job and was buying a house. Had been in KL on first leg of a holiday and it really was not me. Went to the airport with no flight arranged to travel "somewhere" and flew to Chiang Mai. Reasons....it was second flight available and less than $50....and the first flight was to Kolkata (and I had been to a similar place before....Bradford). I really had to look at a map to find where CM was! Stayed because I was very fortunate salary and time off wise with my new job and go back and forward to Oz for months at a time. Weather I find is better in my part of Oz. I find I really relax in CM as there are no real expectations or demands of me by friends or family or work I pretty much cruise and enjoy myself, Cm is cheap so I can afford to go here or Oz easily, and now there is a wife...and as much as wife does not like it..... the reasons really are in that order.

I always enjoy reading what people post in response to questions as the OP made. Invariably the reasons have to do with something being different here (Chiang Mai) than where they came from.

Then the majority start posting why there aren't things here which they had where they came from.

I also enjoy reading posts from people that have become experts (in a very short time) on things relative to Chiang Mai like: Thai lifestyle; Thai customs; the Thai way of thinking.

I was brought to Chiang Mai to get my head straight. I was brought by a Chiang Mai lady and her husband. They put me in Wat Umong and had a bevy of Chiang Mai local people to assist me when they returned to the US. I liked Chiang Mai and the atmosphere.... it was very different than Chiang Mai is today. Many of the "complaints" made on ThaiVisa would not even have been possible to complain about. And of course, ThaiVisa was not available (or the internet, for that matter) to voice the concerns.

Edited by hml367
  • Like 2

It's home.

Excellent short answer.

You beat me to it.

A genuine and not at all a bad (albeit) short answer at all that rings true in my experience --- for staying.

Perhaps others might, but I don't find your initial response strange at all. So, why "home?" That can mean a lot of things. What might they be? In brief, even if a one-worder doesn't do the job.

Give it a rest mapguy.

I am here because I consider it home. The last few times back to Canada and the states I was always glad to be coming home. The last time in Pattaya when we got on the plane I was happy to be going home. This is home to me. Why did I come here because I was retired and the place I had lived in for 20 years never felt like home. Even though I owned my own home there.

Besides I had always been attracted to a different way of life. The freedom to be responsible for myself.

It is that simple I am home.

Get a lawyer!...I will take you to court!...... I have copyrights for that response!....Well...now you know.....why I move here from the US.

Edited by umbanda

weather

out of the way in a corner of the world

cheap

fruit markets

big town with big city benefits

excellent for commuting around by bicycle (2+ hours every day for 3 months now)

nearby mountain for serious fitness work

not too far away from border run town (mae sai)

airport with plenty of LCC flights to KL and BKK

low pollution excepting burn off season

locals are nice people, excellent hospitality, look after you ect (in my experience)

• Like 2

No short answer... and you may not want the long one.

Understood! wai2.gif No one needs to know the details, just fundamental reason arrived at honestly. My personal reasons are also mixed as well as, I suppose, yours, might be. No, I don't want to hear your whole story, and you don't want to hear mine. This is not "group grope" clinical psychology. What I am suggesting is that people try to be as honest as they can be with themselves, I suppose, and give some brief explanation of why they are here. It could actually be illuminating and helpful for others, especially those who are considering moving here. And people might find some "soul buddies."

Or, I owe back taxes!

And there must be other reasons!

Interesting list of examples. Which ones are your personal reasons?

You go first, Mapguy. Why are YOU here?

Ok, that's fair!

Sense of adventure, something new, not that I was bored or disenchanted with where I was. And there were or are no outstanding warrants for my arrest! Then, as noted by others, it became home.