Tablet Repairs - Tukcom Maybe?

NanLaew

I was packing for my road trip and my Asus 10" tablet hit the ceramic tile and the gorilla glass is shattered. The LCD is intact and everything else seems to work but the power button corner of the aluminium case took the hit.

Does anyone know if there's anyone doing tablet repairs in Tukcom or elsewhere in Pattaya? The tablet is about 3 years old and has a keyboard dock so don't want to bin it, buy an over-priced replacement or fork out for a new one just yet. I have seen a few You Tube clips on how 'easy' it is to replace broken hardware with a hair drier and some cell phone case picking tools but someone doing this would need to have the replacement glass first.

Thanks,

NL

Your best shot is Fortune City or Pantip Plaza in BKK. You may find someone who can fix it at Tukcom, but getting parts will be an issue unless you can find a seller of the Asus tablet who can get the parts from his supplier. The folks that can fix tablets are on the mobile phone floor (1st or 2nd floor, depending on where you start counting) in the back, against the wall. You can also try Pattaya4U across from the parking garage on the corner. They are great with computers, but tablets are not their specialty. I took not my working tablet to Tukcom about 5 months ago, and made the rounds -- no joy. I took it to Fortune City on my next trip to BKK and they fixed it in 1 hour for no charge; it was a software problem.

• Like 1

Your best shot is Fortune City or Pantip Plaza in BKK. You may find someone who can fix it at Tukcom, but getting parts will be an issue unless you can find a seller of the Asus tablet who can get the parts from his supplier. The folks that can fix tablets are on the mobile phone floor (1st or 2nd floor, depending on where you start counting) in the back, against the wall. You can also try Pattaya4U across from the parking garage on the corner. They are great with computers, but tablets are not their specialty. I took not my working tablet to Tukcom about 5 months ago, and made the rounds -- no joy. I took it to Fortune City on my next trip to BKK and they fixed it in 1 hour for no charge; it was a software problem.

same - same

No need to travel to Bangkok.

Would suggest you try Wattana Systemation or Liberty Computer. Either is reliable and less iffy than anything at TukCom.

Wattana is opposite FoodLand on Pattaya Klang and Liberty is north of TOT on Third Road

http://www.liberty-computers.com/

Check out this thread on a related topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744412-reliable-laptop-repairs-do-they-exist/?p=8128857&hl=%2Bliberty+%2Bcomputer

Edited by Suradit69

No need to travel to Bangkok.

Would suggest you try Wattana Systemation or Liberty Computer. Either is reliable and less iffy than anything at TukCom.

Wattana is opposite FoodLand on Pattaya Klang and Liberty is north of TOT on Third Road

http://www.liberty-computers.com/

Check out this thread on a related topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744412-reliable-laptop-repairs-do-they-exist/?p=8128857&hl=%2Bliberty+%2Bcomputer

None of these places carry any detailed stock, my tablet was stuck in Wattana for 6 weeks while they decided they did not have the part, one hour in Pantip job was done

I was in the central mall yesterday looking for a phone for my daughter. We stopped in Banana IT across from Power Buy. They sell the Asus Fonepad, which is on her list (and mine) of good choices. I asked if they service the Asus Fonepad if we bought it from them, and they said "yes". So, they may be able to repair your Asus tablet or send it to their service shop in BKK to have them fix it, more likely the latter. Expect a minimum 3 weeks wait. Banana also has a shop in Tukcom.

Thanks for all the info and tips. Since this tablet was never on the Thai market and is way out of warranty, I reckon getting a replacement glass will be a major issue with any Asus-authorised repair facility. I had an Asus laptop that needed warranty work back in 2010 and once again, it was a model purchased in the US. Although the Asus shop did the repair under their global warranty, it took weeks just to get the replacement mobo. I will try Panthip though and see if I get lucky.

Curiously enough, I was in Tukcom Udon Thani yesterday and there was a chap with a tablet all opened up behind the counter on one of the 2nd floor phone and tablet shops and effecting some repairs. I didn't stop to ask as I hadn't brought the buggered tablet with me but I guess repairs aren't the issue as much as getting the parts.

Edited by NanLaew

Thanks for all the info and tips. Since this tablet was never on the Thai market and is way out of warranty, I reckon getting a replacement glass will be a major issue with any Asus-authorised repair facility. I had an Asus laptop that needed warranty work back in 2010 and once again, it was a model purchased in the US. Although the Asus shop did the repair under their global warranty, it took weeks just to get the replacement mobo. I will try Panthip though and see if I get lucky.

Curiously enough, I was in Tukcom Udon Thani yesterday and there was a chap with a tablet all opened up behind the counter on one of the 2nd floor phone and tablet shops and effecting some repairs. I didn't stop to ask as I hadn't brought the buggered tablet with me but I guess repairs aren't the issue as much as getting the parts.

Hi there,

I fix many computers, phones, tablets etc, and always the first thing I do is look on E bay etc for the parts, and order them.

Then I look on You tube how to repair, and if too complicated, I take to Tuk Com and for a few hundred baht the repair is done while i wait.

Like you said, your tablet being Non-Thai from new would mean the likelihood of an outlet anywhere in Thailand having the parts in stock is zero.

Good luck.

Edited by Pdavies99

Hi there,

I fix many computers, phones, tablets etc, and always the first thing I do is look on E bay etc for the parts, and order them.

Then I look on You tube how to repair, and if too complicated, I take to Tuk Com and for a few hundred baht the repair is done while i wait.

Like you said, your tablet being Non-Thai from new would mean the likelihood of an outlet anywhere in Thailand having the parts in stock is zero.

Good luck.

That's a very good point! I have resurrected 'dead' laptops after buying parts on eBay for around $125 and handing the lot over to a guy in Tukcom who made both work for a whopping 800 baht. I will browse eBay for a similarly DOA tablet that has the glass intact. I have buddies coming in from UK and US regularly so they bring the small stuff over.

I have watched a few You Tube clips and that's how I saw the hair-drier and tweezers approach to repairs. I don't have the patience for that fiddly stuff any more but good guidance when deciding what one feels capable of and what needs to be farmed out.

Thanks!

• Like 1

A word of warning though:

If buying off internet, E bay etc, check what postal service they use....never I suggest use FEDEX or UPS as they are known to have import duty problems even for spares.

Personally I find most spares from Hong Kong or China and never ever get any issues re taxes, duties etc.

y

Hi there,

Good luck.

That's a very good point! I have resurrected 'dead' laptops after buying parts on eBay for around $125 and handing the lot over to a guy in Tukcom who made both work for a whopping 800 baht. I will browse eBay for a similarly DOA tablet that has the glass intact. I have buddies coming in from UK and US regularly so they bring the small stuff over.

I have watched a few You Tube clips and that's how I saw the hair-drier and tweezers approach to repairs. I don't have the patience for that fiddly stuff any more but good guidance when deciding what one feels capable of and what needs to be farmed out.

Thanks!

Edited by Pdavies99

If you've got some spare time, you could buy some tablet repair tools on eBay (spudgers, screw drivers etc), order the parts and do it yourself. You'd be surprised how many step-by-step DIY videos are up on YouTube these days.

I do this for my laptops, but haven't had to repair a tablet yet.... but I do know you can buy everything you need to do your own repairs.

Edited by tropo

It looks like there's several inexpensive options for new glass on eBay and a few of them with UK delivery so my mate can bring it over and spare me the grief of Customs charges.

As said before, as a younger chap, I would be all over the D-I-Y approach but it's too fiddly for my old eyes and fingers so the experts at Tukcom will be the ones I will use and just give them the parts.

• Like 1

I was in the central mall yesterday looking for a phone for my daughter. We stopped in Banana IT across from Power Buy. They sell the Asus Fonepad, which is on her list (and mine) of good choices. I asked if they service the Asus Fonepad if we bought it from them, and they said "yes". So, they may be able to repair your Asus tablet or send it to their service shop in BKK to have them fix it, more likely the latter. Expect a minimum 3 weeks wait. Banana also has a shop in Tukcom.

I have Fonepad as spare tablet to keep in the car and it's really <deleted>.

I have Fonepad as spare tablet to keep in the car and it's really <deleted>.

What a very insightful post. My daughter, who just turned 6, no doubt has much higher requirements for a phone/tablet than you do.

Any why would anyone keep a phone/tablet in car???? With the high heat build up in a car, it is probably the worst place possible to keep a tablet.

Your post has given me a better appreciation/understanding for Bob Marley's "No Woman, No Cry".

Troll post removed

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.