Getting started with PR application

I recently posted on whether my meagre government university salary is enough to make an application for permanent residence. My tentative conclusion after reading the replies was yes, it is.

I've done some reading on whether a lawyer is necessary for applying for PR. The consensus seems to be no. I'm very organised and have more time than money, so in my case it seems better to go it alone.

Before I start compiling the mountain of documents required, however, I'd like a little more confidence that I really am eligible for PR. I would much rather find out now that I can't get it, rather than after having spent many hours getting the paperwork together.

What would you recommend I do to find out as surely as possible that I am eligible? I was thinking a trip to Chaeng Wattana. Who would I ask to speak to there?

The first and best step is to go down to CW and ask to speak to the PR people there. Go down and ask them for a list of requirements and go through with them one by one. From that conversation you'll get a better feel for things, and yes, be honest about your salary but also how you earn it (ie government salary) so that things are put in perspective for them.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Good advice. When I applied (back in 2006) the first thing I did was go to the PR dept. with the wife and talk to the people. They were very helpful and friendly, as they were all the way through the process.

I'm sure they will help you sort out any concerns you may have.

Forgot to mention: We did all of the paperwork ourselves, and while it was time consuming, it was not hugely difficult.

Edited by stbkk
  • Like 2