Clarification on salary requirements for permanent residency

I'm interested in getting permanent residency based on employment. I'd be grateful if someone who has experience could clear up whether I need to have earned 100,000 Baht annually or monthly for two consecutive years — I have been doing my tax returns in Thailand — according to the translated requirements below:

3.2.3 In case where the applicant lacks of any qualification as mentioned in
3.2.1 and 3.2.2 then the following requirement is applied.
1) Be a holder of work permit for at least 3 consecutive years up to the date of application submission and
2) Have been working in the current company for at least 1 year, up to the date of application submission and
3) Earn annual income at least Baht 80,000 per month for a period of at least 2 years, up to the date of application submission, or have been filing tax return for the amount of annual income of Baht 100,000 for at least 2 consecutive years, up to the date of application submission.

As I understand it, you need to have been earning 80,000 per month on average if you haven't been doing tax returns, or just 100,000 baht per year if you have been filing tax returns. It's a huge difference, and it seems strange. Why isn't everyone required to do tax returns? Especially if they're earning 80,000 per month?

I've been working for a Thai Government University for nearly three years now, and you won't be surprised that 80,000 a month is out of my league, but 100,000 a year isn't.

I think the confusion comes from translation, to say that if one is just employed (so that he does not file tax returns) need to make 80K a month.

If a tax return is filed, needs to be 100K monthly.

PR, as well citizenship, is to all effects discouraged.

Good luck with that!

In two decades I have met just three westerners with PR and only one with Thai nationality.

All four were extremely wealthy, high profile businessmen with a lot of contacts and employing, in every case, a few hundred Thais.

Maybe this will provoke a flood of posts stating, "Oh, I got my PR after two years earning 35,000 as an English teacher". But I don't think so.

The 80k baht is the monthly income. The 100k baht number refers to the minimum net annual income after deductions when you file your taxes. The 100k baht number was the exempt from taxes number when the regulation was written. It is now 150k baht.

Thanks very much for the replies.

I think the confusion comes from translation, to say that if one is just employed (so that he does not file tax returns) need to make 80K a month.

If a tax return is filed, needs to be 100K monthly.

I read the Thai version (doesn't copy and paste well from pdf, so pasting a link) and thought it was about as clear as the English version, that is, it seems (at least to me) like 100K for the year. But I'm not 100% sure, and I'm not skilled in reading legal/financial things.

The 80k baht is the monthly income. The 100k baht number refers to the minimum net annual income after deductions when you file your taxes. The 100k baht number was the exempt from taxes number when the regulation was written. It is now 150k baht.

It's a relief to hear that. My meagre salary is over 150k annually (after deductions). So if I understand correctly, anyone that is actually paying taxes (i.e. over the exempt from taxes amount), then they are eligible.

If anyone has any more information to add, please do.

• 2 months later...