Los Angeles nightclub shooting- a nightmare for tourists

webfact

Los Angeles nightclub shooting- a nightmare for tourists

LOS ANGELES: -- Tourists in Los Angeles should be aware of repeat violence and dangers. Yesterday Death Row Records founder and rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight was shot and injured in a packed nightclub early Sunday, but he was expected to survive, a Los Angeles County sheriff's sergeant said.

Knight was one of three club patrons struck by gunfire around 1:30 a.m. at 1OAK on West Hollywood's Sunset Boulevard, said Sgt. C. Tatar, watch commander at the Los Angeles County sheriff's West Hollywood station.

Two other victims, a man and a woman, were taken to the hospital for treatment and were expected to survive.

Authorities are still seeking a suspect and declined to release additional information, citing the ongoing investigation.

The shooting came just hours before MTV's Video Music Awards in Inglewood Sunday evening. R&B singer Chris Brown, who was co-hosting a party at the nightclub with Pia Mia, was also inside the club but not hit by the gunfire, Tatar said.

MTV said it had no affiliation or connection to the event. Calls to the club rang unanswered.

Laura Coverson, a spokeswoman for Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, said she could not confirm reports that Knight was being treated there because of strict medical privacy laws.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/49465/los-angeles-nightclub-shooting-nightmare-tourists

-- eTN 2014-08-25

LA nightlife sucks, in part because of gang shit like this or the cops being called in to breakit up for some other reason or overzealous bouncers-just makes going out at night a bore-especially comapered to what we got here, and also the lack of decent club/bar districts like you have in asia and europe, like if you do find a decent place it gets too crowded then there's a fight or some other shit.. what a shame that the entertainment capital of the world has become a bore because of bad behavior , expensive liquor licences, and poor zoning.

"A nightmare for tourists?" Just like when that guy sprayed the theatre on the opening night of one of the Batman films, I guess it was a nightmare for movie-goers everywhere, and all the cinemas have shut down - not. (OK, it was a horrendous thing to shoot up a theatre, and I feel bad for the victims, but it's not stopping anyone from going to see a flick.)

If a single incident of a shooting in a Nightclub in LA causes one to have nightmares...just wait until the Muslim group ISIS starts their rampage across America...or there is an Ebola outbreak in the US...or the Pres. declares martial law so he does not have to give up the presidency...or you receive a letter and a phone call from the IRS saying you are being audited...

Edited by ggt

this will tarnish the country's image...

Nope... only live up to it.

Came to Thailand a few years back because I had given up on America with all the violence and crime and Politicians of all parties as guilty as any convicted crook for much of wht is wrong in America, Now, health issues and lack of affordable expat healthcare insurance, combined with a respectful disillusionment of life in LOS, is why I am leaving my retirement dream location. I will go back to a State where you do not even have to have a license to carry a personal weapon unconcealed. I don't have any information on how crimes committed using guns there and being able to carry unconcealed to protect yourself, correlate to lets say, armed robbery, but One seldom sees the few States with this law, in the news for mass killings.

I grew up in LA in the 50's and 60's (dating myself here), and my parents grew up there in the 30's and 40's. It was a great place to grow up. Now, you could not get me to set foot in LA. I don't even like to fly through the airport there. My grandparents lived in Hollywood, and my brother and I used to ride our bikes down to Sunset Blvd. and Wilshire Blvd.. No worries, and you could count on seeing various film stars going about their everyday routine. Now, you have to keep the kids under sight, and Sunset Blvd. and Wilshire Blvd. are cesspools.

• Like 1

I am sure that many of your USA bashers are totally unaware of what a dangerous. Place Hollywood is, and trust me I worked there, the streets are unsafe day and night, however they will have a good time with this one, black rappers ? Models for the youth of America.

Gun violence in large city "hip-hop" clubs in the US is endemic, it is predictable. Ironically it is a infantile lifestyle brand if you will sold by the wealthiest Oreo in the US, Russell Simmons. I got more soul in my little toe than that man. I worry every time my kids go to a club here in the US. I am happy that they prefer the clubs in Chiang Mai or when they visit Portlandia.

The gun murder rate per 100,000 people in the US is less than 1/2 what it is in Thailand. Yet expats flock to Thailand and think they are safe?

If you stay out of the dangerous inner city neighborhoods (Sunset Blvd.) in the US it's even far safer.

LINK

I've never been threatened by anyone with a gun and I don't personally know anyone who has. There are about 330 million people in the US but if just one is killed by a gun it's international news??

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

The gun murder rate per 100,000 people in the US is less than 1/2 what it is in Thailand. Yet expats flock to Thailand and think they are safe?

If you stay out of the dangerous inner city neighborhoods (Sunset Blvd.) in the US it's even far safer.

LINK

I've never been threatened by anyone with a gun and I don't personally know anyone who has. There are about 330 million people in the US but if just one is killed by a gun it's international news??

It actually depends on which one the media chooses to focus on, based on some agenda... Just look at Ferguson...

• Like 2

LINK

The murder rate at the link you provide is per total population and not per 100,000. That means Thailand with one fifth of the population has twice as many firearms murders than the USA therefore 10 times the murder rate. Even worse than you would imagine.

The US murder rate is still pretty shocking when compared to Western European countries. Not a good stat for the biggest economy in the world.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

LINK

The murder rate at the link you provide is per total population and not per 100,000. That means Thailand with one fifth of the population has twice as many firearms murders than the USA therefore 10 times the murder rate. Even worse than you would imagine.

The US murder rate is still pretty shocking when compared to Western European countries. Not a good stat for the biggest economy in the world.

My bad. Here it is per 1 million people. You're right it's far worse in Thailand. LINK

• Like 1

LINK

My bad. Here it is per 1 million people. You're right it's far worse in Thailand. LINK

I'm not surprised to see South Africa and Columbia at the top but what is going on in Slovakia? 10 times the murder rate of a s#!t hole like Albania. That is a big surprise for me. I never knew Thailand has such a problem either.

I grew up in LA in the 50's and 60's (dating myself here), and my parents grew up there in the 30's and 40's. It was a great place to grow up. Now, you could not get me to set foot in LA. I don't even like to fly through the airport there. My grandparents lived in Hollywood, and my brother and I used to ride our bikes down to Sunset Blvd. and Wilshire Blvd.. No worries, and you could count on seeing various film stars going about their everyday routine. Now, you have to keep the kids under sight, and Sunset Blvd. and Wilshire Blvd. are cesspools.

I always remember sitting next to an old lady (in her 70s) on one of those commuter buses from long beach to Los Angeles airport and she told me she could remember when you could leave your house in Los Angeles and not bother to lock the door.

In 1978 I worked in Los Angeles for a year and lived on the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and La Brea. Okay, there were a few weirdos around but I never once felt any danger day or night. But when I returned several times during the late 1980s and 1990s I could see the place gradually becoming seedier and seedier. Very sad to watch somewhere where i had happy memories gradually fall into decay.

Edited by Asiantravel

LINK

yes, but there is one huge difference between USA compared to Thailand.

There is far greater danger of the food supply chain being broken in USA than in Thailand, even if it's just for the 45 million who are on food stamps. But Thai's don't have to walk very far to fill up their stomach for 40 baht. If for whatever reason, the supermarket shelves were empty for a period of time in America you would see chaos.

The world has already seen it after the hurricanes, and when the foodstamp computers crashed.

Hungry people ( or even thirsty people - see pictures below ) with guns can be very unpredictable.

https://imgur.com/a/IgoUq

Edited by Asiantravel

LINK

There is far greater danger of the food supply chain being broken in USA than in Thailand, even if it's just for the 45 million who are on food stamps. But Thai's don't have to walk very far to fill up their stomach for 40 baht. If for whatever reason, the supermarket shelves were empty for a period of time in America you would see chaos.

The world has already seen it after the hurricanes, and when the foodstamp computers crashed.

Hungry people ( or even thirsty people - see pictures below ) with guns can be very unpredictable.

Haha, what you ignore is that most people on food stamps have way more money and a better way of life than those in Thailand. The problem with US is that we give food stamps to people driving nice German cars, sitting at home watching their 60 inch flat screen TVs and spending their real money on Oxycontin . . . or just laying the system because it it nice to get free housing, free food, free health care and drive a BMW.

LINK

Haha, what you ignore is that most people on food stamps have way more money and a better way of life than those in Thailand. The problem with US is that we give food stamps to people driving nice German cars, sitting at home watching their 60 inch flat screen TVs and spending their real money on Oxycontin . . . or just laying the system because it it nice to get free housing, free food, free health care and drive a BMW.

How does clutching a plastic card or a bunch of US dollars help if the goods are suddenly not physically on the shelves?blink.png

I am talking about the ability of grocery stores to maintain their physical supply of food in an emergency because currently on average they only cover three- or four-days. This system is appallingly insecure and in real danger of failure at somepoint. There are so many ways in which Americans could suddenly find their supermarket shelves emptied and the population in panic.

With regards to your comment about cars may be you haven't noticed, but in Bangkok there are huge numbers of Mercedes and BMW’s these days......... but they still choose a meal for 40 baht with ingredients from just upcountry instead of the junk people eat in USA .

Edited by Asiantravel