NESDB found more Thai children with obesity and lower IQ

webfact

NESDB found more Thai children with obesity and lower IQ

BANGKOK, 26 August 2014 (NNT) – The latest social study by the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) has found an alarming increase in the number of young Thais with the obesity problem while the quality of middle-school education fell to the bottom place in Asia.

NESDB Deputy Secretary General Chutinart Wongsuban said on Monday that the second-quarter Social Condition Report has found that the average IQ of young Thais is now scored at 90-99, lower than the world’s median of 100, as more children have been born from underage mothers without proper family planning.

The report also showed that a large number of children aged between three and five are suffering iodine deficiency disorders, particularly those from poor families.

On the contrary, the latest study found that a lot of children in big cities are suffering obesity, which could affect their intellectual development.

Ms. Chutinart added that a survey on the quality of education found that middle-school students are having problems as their average scores were 452 points compared with the Asia-wide average of 502 points, putting Thailand at the bottom of the ranking in Asia.

Taiwan, South Korea and Hong Kong have been found with average scores of 550, according to Ms. Chutinart.

Accordingly, the NESDB has prepared a list of suggestions to alleviate these problems, including the promotion of reproductive health and family planning, the introduction of assistance to poor children and the improvement of childcare service quality.

The NESDB’s social report also showed Thailand’s unemployment rate has risen in the second quarter, resulting in higher household debt.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-26 footer_n.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What family planning? The first child many have is usually due to 'an accident'.

Nice observation you made there, trogers, was that as a result of your studies of that particular social issue?

"...more children have been born from underage mothers without proper family planning."

Edited by Zeegator

low scores and obesity?...thats what happens when you sit all day in front of a computer munching on junk food playing mindless computer games and not attending to the school work let alone even going to school

Spot on!!!! thumbsup.gif

Not just dullards, but fat dullards!! cheesy.gif

What family planning? The first child many have is usually due to 'an accident'.

Nice observation you made there, trogers, was that as a result of your studies of that particular social issue?

"...more children have been born from underage mothers without proper family planning."

Have spent 3 weeks in a small 'resort' in the NE and saw the short term guests coming in and then out within an hour or so, mainly teen couples on motorcycles.

Friend's son at 18 just got married and four months later is a daddy. His niece had an abortion not too long ago, because the male counterpart will not take responsibility.

Common stories in most moobaans a farang will hear...

• Like 1

School and home work all day long plus tutoring schools and weekly relative visits with regular barbecue parties or other family feasties, fast foods whatever and expensive healthy food prices.

Need I say more?

• Like 2

Edward de Bono or Vera Birkenbihl, who have been writing about intellect and how to make best use of it, have not relied on IQ, but how to best make use of it: You can drive a Ferrari to scrap, and a Fiat 500 to the target.

Some successful countries have their focus not only on the development of the students with high IQ, but especially also the ones with lower IQ. With that approach, finally all graduates get into a specific skill and will be great experts in one craft.

This would be reached best by apprenticeships following three years of Mathayom.

low scores and obesity?...thats what happens when you sit all day in front of a computer munching on junk food playing mindless computer games and not attending to the school work let alone even going to school

Interesting article. Doesn't come right out and make an accusation just prints like it was true. Could be. But no study to back it up. Just veiled accusation.

On the contrary, the latest study found that a lot of children in big cities are suffering obesity, which could affect their intellectual development.

Slowly getting to know more about my school age granddaughters. I am amazed at the time they put in at school. I see where one of the suggestions to improve the education is to cut back on the school hours.

I know for myself when I was taking Thai lessons I would find my mind wandering after a while. I needed a break away from it. Also time to really learn it. But the teacher had a schedule to maintain that did not fit in with my ability to learn it. It was OK up to a point but then it became harder and harder to learn while I was still working at maintaining what I had learned.

When I pickup my 6 year old son from school, I see children that can barely walk - that's how fat they are already!

And when you see them, guess what they eat .......

Give me a clue?????

I thought eating too much caused obesity, generaly speaking, not what you eat.

When I pickup my 6 year old son from school, I see children that can barely walk - that's how fat they are already!

And when you see them, guess what they eat .......

Not just that. Had a secretary from a rich family who takes a taxi to a meeting held only 300m away, and who would tell you she will go to the gym after work...lol

Overweight kids are subject serious teasing and bullying, and teachers have been shown to be harsher on those kids as well., I imagine that takes a toll on the grades.

... or maybe fat kids are just dumb?