Unemployment rises during second quarter of 2014: Thailand

webfact

Unemployment rises during second quarter of 2014

BANGKOK, 26 August 2014 (NNT) - According to the Office of National Economics and Social Development Board (NESDB), more people were unemployed during the second quarter of this year.

The NESDB reported that the number of people gainfully employed in the workforce dropped by 2.8 percent during April to June 2014, raising the unemployment rate to 1 percent nationwide. Most of the unemployed were farmers, who lost their jobs due to this year’s drought situation.

Household debts have decreased slightly in conjunction with the economic slowdown, which is partly due to the end of the previous administration’s “First Car Rebate Program”.

Consumer spending has also declined, as more Thais have been increasingly concerned about their income levels and the possibility of securing a good career in the future.

Meanwhile, Deputy Secretary-General Ms. Chutinart Wongsuban stated that the NESDB would keep a close watch on the increasing number of defaults on consumer loans.

Outstanding credit card debts of which the payments are more than three months late are estimated to be around 7.5 billion baht.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-26 footer_n.gif

This is not confined to Thailand , in OZ the unemployment rate is 6.6% and a further 7% part timers who would like full time , so as you can see OZ is going slowly down the gurgler and it looks like Thailand might be joining the exclusive set that are in the sh!!t and when you are told that 20,000 jobs in OZ will go in the resource sector by 2017, you start to wonder if sitting on a beach in Hua Hin isn't a bad proposition after all. coffee1.gif

and why is it than so difficult to find staff or any cleaning maid????

imho they are just too lazy to work.

Perhaps you are not considered to be a good employer and/or to pay enough salary?

Thailand is a labour economy. One percent unemployment is nothing really. But the unemployment is mainly among farmers. So in the urban regions there is hardly any unemployment. Finding staff and especially a good maid can be tough. But your choice will be fair if you get a goo reputation as an employer.

Half a day every day? per week? Per month? Or a one off?

If it's not a regular secure full time job I suspect many would not be interested.

A

you could qualify that by stating how much you are offering a maid and for how many hours

500THB for half a day work.

Although a rate of 1% is to be admired (especially from Western countries), one can see that the reasons for any increase are many.

However, the tourist people here do not seem to realise that if there are fewer tourists - don't quadruple prices for those foreigners that are here; cater to those who could provide an income rather than grab as much as possible.

Such outrageous price rises will only cause those disposed to help the Thai economy to go to multi-nationals; hence street vendors will lose out, lose income and eventually lose their jobs.

Edited by Johnnie99

Can we stop hearing about the poor people who have lost their jobs because they were thrown off the beach when the junta decided to close their illegal businesses? Unemployment in Phuket is close to zero.

• Like 1

A couple of serious questions, to which I do not have the answer.

1. When measuring the unemployment in the UK of around 6.5%, the statistics are drawn from the number of claimants seeking 'job seekers allowance' etc. How do the Thai's measure it?. Do they have a system of monetary support for the unemployed - or is it just a guess.

2. When I go in to Homepro or similar stores there are often more staff than customers. Many of the staff seem pre-occupied with their mobile phones and are doing absolutely zilch. Is there a government directive that such stores have to employ a 'minimum' number of staff?. I'm an ex union official so you will understand I'm not bashing the 'workers'. However any time and motion study could probably reduce the staffing by 50%, at a guess.

Therefore, is 1% - which in a sense is unbelievable in any economy - a face saver. Would a rise be a 'loss of face'.?

Would welcome views from those who know more than me about Thai economics. Ta.

• Like 1

1. When measuring the unemployment in the UK of around 6.5%, the statistics are drawn from the number of claimants seeking 'job seekers allowance' etc. How do the Thai's measure it?. Do they have a system of monetary support for the unemployed - or is it just a guess.

2. When I go in to Homepro or similar stores there are often more staff than customers. Many of the staff seem pre-occupied with their mobile phones and are doing absolutely zilch. Is there a government directive that such stores have to employ a 'minimum' number of staff?. I'm an ex union official so you will understand I'm not bashing the 'workers'. However any time and motion study could probably reduce the staffing by 50%, at a guess.

Therefore, is 1% - which in a sense is unbelievable in any economy - a face saver. Would a rise be a 'loss of face'.?

Not correct. Measurement is the same. Informal farm labour provides a massive reservoir of employment in Thailand though

Not correct. Measurement is the same. Informal farm labour provides a massive reservoir of employment in Thailand though

The measurement is the same and the lies around it also. After the graduation of universities this year it was reported in The Nation that 150 k graduates are unemployed and that they will not get work due to the economic downturn. In todays report this 150 k disappeared. In last years figures graduates also made up the biggest portion of the unemployed +- 60 k.

With no funds budgeted for farm subsidies, possible El Nino and commodity prices on the decline, one could expect rising unemployment, which would not be reflected in official figures but would be visible on the ground.

• Like 1

The measurement is the same and the lies around it also. After the graduation of universities this year it was reported in The Nation that 150 k graduates are unemployed and that they will not get work due to the economic downturn. In todays report this 150 k disappeared. In last years figures graduates also made up the biggest portion of the unemployed +- 60 k.

With no funds budgeted for farm subsidies, possible El Nino and commodity prices on the decline, one could expect rising unemployment, which would not be reflected in official figures but would be visible on the ground.

This is all true. But when the questions are answered, it comes out that Thailand has a 1% rate. The fact that this includes people working on the farm who are possibly earning less than the mimium wage it means apples are not quite being measured against apples. I had a long drawn out discussion with someone about this on another thread who was extremely proud of the fact that THailnad only had a 1% rate of unemployment.

Its all great when a huge perecntage are paid cash in hand irregularly I guess. Fact is now, there are people looking for jobs who CAN'T find one. That is a big change. It was always the case that they could go work in construction or agriculture. If those jobs start diminishing, then the govt will have to start repatriation of foreign labour and Thais will have to work in things like food processing because there is no system to provide any social care for anyone.

OK, to all those unemployed out there, we're hiring 3 cooks (F/M) and 1 waitress/waiter.

Upmarket garden restaurant, operating for nine years, on the dark side, Italian food, working 6 days a week from 2.30 pm to 11 pm, part time 6.30 pm to 10.30 pm.

One month paid holiday/OT compensation, first year prorated to employment. Salary, tip, one free meal, Social Insurance.

Must be able to read English (POS system in kitchen), service staff additionally some spoken English. Salary depending on age/experience.

PM for details.

Just wait until the new enforcement push on alcohol sales and dispensing kick in.

It's hard to imagine how many young women will be suddenly unemployed.

This already started in Chiang Mai and KK ((I only cite places I know about) in May, when many bars and restaurants began cutting staff to make up for lost revenue.

Soon, if the current leadership follows through on promised reforms, it will be all over Thailand.

The usual exemptions may kick in for Thailand's rainmaker sin cities, but you can't live off a dwindling supply of drunk tourists forever.

Can we stop hearing about the poor people who have lost their jobs because they were thrown off the beach when the junta decided to close their illegal businesses? Unemployment in Phuket is close to zero.

I would like to know where you got this statistic, as I don't have access to this information and would be interested to read in English, if there is such an online version.