Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Junta is really serious about reducing the costs of the effect that alcohol has on Government coffers through road deaths and rehabilitation why not introduce breathalyzer squads ? They would be most effective outside the numerous hostess bars where bottles of hard liquor are consumed after which customers stagger to get behind the wheel or drive off on motor scooters.

The proposed new rules seem to be one step removed from the Prohibition Era and we all know just how effective that was for the reduction of alcohol consumption. The National Road Fatality approaching 30,000 or over if one includes subsequent deaths from injuries after thirty days, is a blight on the Government and the Law Enforcement Agency. The strain placed on Medical Institutions, ambulance and emergency services is enormous. I fail to see how obliterating logos or banning used liquor bottles for decoration will reduce the road toll. How about introducing a " If you Drink Don't Drive " campaign. And Enforce it!

If the Junta is really serious about reducing the costs of the effect that alcohol has on Government coffers through road deaths and rehabilitation why not introduce breathalyzer squads ?

Would not work, the squads would be too drunk to take proper readings

A dry Thailand only affect falang. Thai people are Buddhist and drinking is against believes anyway. This is a Buddhist country.

How much lau khao did you have bf4 this answer came to your mind.....

Anway, I can still go home to where a beer, a pretzel and a sausage are seen as a breakfast when they finally have cracked down on everything thats fun.

Edited by I knew this would happen

To all those who claim Thailand is not a "nanny state," how do ya like them apples?

And a possible counter...To those who think it is, move to Kuwait for apples.

Either statement is apple-baseless, depending on who you are and what your idea of freedom is.

what about Thai beer sponsoring UK football, Chang is Everton anywhere else?

Shirt logo will probably be "Blurred" out like they do to people smoking.Not an easy job for the TV boys when someone is flying down the pitch at 100 km

100km!!!! That is 62 mph. Usain Bolt achieved top speed of 28 mph!!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I am a huge supporter of the coup and all the good that it has done/is doing for Thailand. When they say they want to encourage tourism, and then they come up with stupid ass decisions to discourage tourism it makes me really angry. It's like they don't understand what brings people to Thailand.

It feels like the leadership of the country doesn't communicate with all of the other parts of the government. For instance, tour guides reported Russian tour agents to the government and this was dismissed because it was decided that these Russian tour guides provide a good service for tourists. The next day they are talking about inspecting all tour agencies to make sure they are in compliance with all laws. It just makes me shake my head. The same goes for immigration crackdowns and then loosening because it was a bad decision. Please can we just understand that this crackdown is a bad decision before they implement it? Please. Please Please.

With the greatest of respect, you supported authoritarian rule, now you have it. A bit late to start complaining now.

I really don't expect you to understand this, but I love Thailand. I supported the coup not because I like the general, or the army or Suthep by any means. I supported the coup because for the first time in my tenure here, someone was in power that wasn't in it for themself. They wanted to do something positive and lasting for the country in the long term.

Positive and longterm should include thoughts of the future and how Thailand can progress to even better places than it is currently. These laws will turn off tourists from coming here. That directly affects my business - yes, but more importantly to me, it affects Thailand progressing.

I want the best for Thailand, and if anyone thinks that souring tourists from coming here is going to help this country, then in my opinion they are wrong.

Right now is when foreigners are planning their vacations for next high season in Thailand. This type of crackdown will discourage tourists from coming here. That will hurt Thailand. It will not just hurt farangs living here or Thais living here, but all of Thailand.

I know that I am not alone when I say that Thailand is where I planned to live out my life. I know that I am not the only business owner looking at Thailand's policies and wondering how long I can afford to live here.

You can criticize me all you want. I am just sharing my feelings from the perspective of someone who loves Thailand and doesn't want to see it decline for reasons that could have been avoided.

Even a Thai person I spoke to tonight when I explained everything in this press release, said that Thailand is going back to the jungle.

I am just hoping that clearer minds precede and they take a different stance on this subject. Like immigration, it all should be done, but should be done in baby steps. Trying to go from 100mph to 0mph in one second will make you skid out. Take stances but don't go from one extreme to the other.

Edited by dangerousdan99

So; does this make my Singha logo shirt a highly sought after collectors item that i can sell on ebay ? Will I need a work permit ? If i continue to wear it in public will the newly formed Alcoholic Police Unit arrest me on sight ? Can i wear it inside out so the logo reads 'ahgnis'...which reminds me of an Auntie i once had ? Because it's red could i be arrested for being a lone protester allied to PTP... and wearing a beer advertisement ?

Next thing we will be arrested for taking empty beer bottles to recycle without a permit from Immigration.

About 5 or 6 years ago they tried this, lasted about a year. So many changes you never no what's going on or what laws what.

Yep, and I was told the same thing in Udon in 2012.....cannot have signs promoting happy hours.....I don't know if it is still like that now, because I left and never went back.

if is true i am actually happy about it. At the same time i am thinking if this rule will be really enforced seriosly what pattaya will look like? is the city that will lost more in thailand i suspect...

very happy about it, so that will be not to crowded over here

My guess, and this is just a guess, this is directed mainly at farang venues. When the farang bars had to close at midnight here, the Thai venues were rocking and rolling. It's not hard to guess what's next. Back to the karaoke bars or the farm for the ladies. And again for all you troglodyte do-gooders, slime back in that christian bible thumping hole you slimed out of.

• Like 1

So how can we find out when its Happy Hours when the staff are not allowed to talk about it and no signs ?

The staff and signs will just say "Welcome to Balo bar. We have promotions every day from 3pm-6pm."

• Like 1

At first I was shocked and couldn't believe it. Then I calmed myself down and re-read the text on the website. It actually doesn't look that bad. It is basically just removing alcohol advertising.

No no no. Not allowed a good spin on it. Has to be anti farang and bad for tourism. Booking a flight out on internet as I type.

Oh, I'm not putting a good spin on it. I'm just saying, "Cheer up guys, it's not that bad". It's bad, but it's not doomsday worthy, or moving to Cambodia worthy.

check the laws in north america. these are close. I do think that tat will get bar hours until 1.

next step blow abovve .08 24 hours in jail.

\have an accident automatic 30 days

Maybe in certain states...in Canada it is definitely NOT like this. Bars are allowed to serve alcohol 'til 2am (generally, varies by province...some are as late as 4am), generally need to close an hour later. Logos on beer glasses? You better believe those are allowed. Happy hour? Yup, it's allowed, just arent allowed to sell alcohol below a certain price. You can definitely promote alcohol through word of mouth. Empty bottles of wine are definitely allowed to decorate a business...I dont see any of these laws that are similar to Canada or any of the states I've drank in...although I havent exactly visited all 50 states.

At first I was shocked and couldn't believe it. Then I calmed myself down and re-read the text on the website. It actually doesn't look that bad. It is basically just removing alcohol advertising.

No no no. Not allowed a good spin on it. Has to be anti farang and bad for tourism. Booking a flight out on internet as I type.

Oh, I'm not putting a good spin on it. I'm just saying, "Cheer up guys, it's not that bad". It's bad, but it's not doomsday worthy, or moving to Cambodia worthy.

It's actually not that bad when compared with most G7 countries. Even Russia has come up with stricter laws recently.

Happy hours aren't going to disappear. It will be interesting to see what creative measures will be used to reinvent them legally.

I'll miss the beer girls, although they will probably still be there serving in tight pants without advertising on their uniforms.

It's not that bad.

• Like 1

If ..and its a big if in my view..this goes ahead there going to have to revise there unemployment figures big time.....I would love to be a fly on the wall in the tourism powers that be offices now....talk about shoot yourself in the foot....For me I can get plenty to drink easily before 12pm and Lamphun everything closes around 12 any way..except the disco/pub and there closing as I mentioned already..they employ I would say over 100 people....all the ones I know its there only job...not sure how this is going to affect restaurants and the girls who serve...Its plain that the promo girls are going to have a problem but how do they class the other's...? In lamphun its not the same as Chiang Mai and the girls dont go with customers etc for money...although I'm sure you can have a relationship with them..just takes a little more time...so theres probably upwards of 400 girls under that umbrella of just serving you your drinks and ice etc......unemployment for lots of thai's....makes sense !!

Edited by Nigeone

Looking at it from a positive side, it will give graphic designers a whole new challenge. How to promote the beer company on merchandising without actually using the logo or any words.

A bit like when they banned cigarette advertising in motorsport. A friend of mine designed the R? livery for the Rothmans Williams, it's one of his most succesful designs ever!

Shame the designers won't be able to solve the midninght drinking ban... But we all know that the underground bars and lock ins are always more fun than the legal bars anyway!

Edited by Overandout
  • Like 2

A second lieutenant in CM is not going to be setting national policy period. This will not happen even in CM. This is the lowest level person to put forth total b.s. Pretty soon we will be reading about a crackdown on the Christian religion by the head window washer at Suvanabhumi. That would explain why the windows are never cleaned.

• Like 1

Did they just alter the calendar to April 1st? <deleted> is going on?

I understand they have an alcohol problem here but surely they don't need to go to these levels?

I expect the knock-on effects of this would be much bigger than the cost of the problem.