Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New edict not yet implemented I guess. Give it a few days.

Enforcing existing Laws? Only law now is Martial Law, ie whatever the CiC Army, Head of Junta and PM say is the law today.

Oh, they`re the same person!

CM has been bending over backward to back Minister of Happiness since April when they had to check Northern Army would not oppose coup. Also that was when CM refused my 4th annual retirement extension but I`m not bitter.

This alcohol crack down will be enforced against Farang bars and hang outs I bet. The junta seems anti-western, anti ASEAN and pro Chinese. You don`t need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

At a loss. Why is the statement anti farang?

I support the initiative, but again, just like the immigration crackdown, it's too much to sudden. Introduce all measures gradually in a year or two and let the industry adapt. BUT the bottom line is that alcohol consumption must come down in Thailand and strong measures are needed. A heavy tax on spirits will be the most important.

Again a lot to do about nothing. First wait what this all will do in real life. There was already an alcohol ban in stores. Russians are walking around with their bottle of Vodka at 10 am, they will do same.

No alcohol after midnight? Ok, when you can drink again then? I know something, that until midnight you can get really drunk. In restaurants, I not eat that often, after midnight do you? Is alcohol banned out of the Kingdom? No!

For the visitors of girlie-bars, guess you have to come earlier (the nice girls are gone before midnight also). And then after midnight, stock your alcohol in your room!

If these rules come effective, I know this for sure :

- I will drink alcohol when I want, maybe not where I want.

- There will be no less alcoholic drivers, maybe they just be drunk sooner.

- Water could be more expensive then beer at some times.

Taxes on alcohol, especially wine, what I like to drink most, are already sky-high. One of the reasons I not move to Thailand, not this stupid law, that will not change anything for me. Prefer this then a new increase of prices, tired to pay a lot for shit.

And if you want my opinion, there will be plenty of alcohol available, one way or another......

" Promoting alcohol through word of mouth is also illegal, so if a waiter is asked to recommend a particular brand of beer he would be breaking the law if he responds. "

Ok so if I go to this fancy gourmet restaurant and ask the waiter which wine he recommends to my meal , he will recommend drinking water instead. If this really happens I will refuse to pay the bill .

I support the initiative, but again, just like the immigration crackdown, it's too much to sudden. Introduce all measures gradually in a year or two and let the industry adapt. BUT the bottom line is that alcohol consumption must come down in Thailand and strong measures are needed. A heavy tax on spirits will be the most important.

And you think there is no heavy tax on it yet? People who want to drink a lot, always will. But the guy, just enjoying together with his partner a bottle of wine at home, are no danger to society, yet pay more for the taxes then the bottle itself!

The only place I been to lately where I really could not find anything to drink on a hot summer night was.....LONDON, after a concert, when I was really thirsty, and where pubs had to stop serving and night shops were not allowed to sell me anything.....

I just love it - all those posters on other threads who are so anti-Thaksin, all his relatives and "his cronies" that they can hardly discuss anything without praising the junta which has rescued the country from its fate. Now this - I just love it - and I'm so glad that a number of those posting on this very active site have been reminding everyone - be careful what you wish for. Bit late now - This and many other things in pipeline (hold on to your seats folk for future attractions) all prove that the biggest oxymoron in the world is - "Military Intelligence". Good Luck to all who sail in her. I personally think that there chances of success in this venture are about as realistic as fixing the taxi mafia, solving the insurgency in the South, stamping out corruption for ever and cleaning up Thai politics.

• Like 1

Enforcing existing Laws? Only law now is Martial Law, ie whatever the CiC Army, Head of Junta and PM say is the law today.

CM has been bending over backward to back Minister of Happiness since April when they had to check Northern Army would not oppose coup. Also that was when CM refused my 4th annual retirement extension but I`m not bitter.

This alcohol crack down will be enforced against Farang bars and hang outs I bet. The junta seems anti-western, anti ASEAN and pro Chinese. You don`t need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Too many alcoholics among the farangs and too many farangs doing crazy things while drunk. I welcome a crackdown. I like a good pint, like my name indicates, but under control and never harming the interests if others.

Problem is, the government decides that these days, not you.

If people want to be alcoholics, let them make the decision yourself, why care about what other people do?

Too many alcoholics among the farangs and too many farangs doing crazy things while drunk. I welcome a crackdown. I like a good pint, like my name indicates, but under control and never harming the interests if others.

Not the statement per se, just the likely targets for enforcement. Most likely farang bars.

At first I was shocked and couldn't believe it. Then I calmed myself down and re-read the text on the website. It actually doesn't look that bad. It is basically just removing alcohol advertising.

This will not really effect the common person. You will see less advertisements for alcohol. You will not see the beer girls or staff wearing beer tshirts. You will not see Singha logos on team uniforms. Really, that's about it. There will still be happy hours, you just won't see signs advertising happy hours. You can still wear your Chang tank top (unless you work at a bar/restaurant). You can still buy alcohol at nearly everywhere that you used to (except for those sidwalk bars that spring up at 1am). The only thing that looks worrisome, is no alcohol consumption after midnight at bars or restaurants.

• Like 1

I like you post very much. And you are absolutly Right

And it Will proberly stop balcony accidents :)

Edited by carstenp

It will make no difference at all to the alcohol related death and injury statistics. Where I live most of the local pissheads are in bed asleep before the proposed midnight curfew. They have a shot of Lao Khao at breakfast time to clear the head. Absolutely slaughtered by midnight. This will mostly effect the larger towns and cities especially those relying on tourism for their income.

Cannot see it happening. Alcohol industry is huge in Thailand and will still be here after the next lot of coup makers/politicians are long gone. Alcohol has been around since day one in the scale of human existence. Politicians not so.

• Like 1

At first I was shocked and couldn't believe it. Then I calmed myself down and re-read the text on the website. It actually doesn't look that bad. It is basically just removing alcohol advertising.

This will not really effect the common person. You will see less advertisements for alcohol. You will not see the beer girls or staff wearing beer tshirts. You will not see Singha logos on team uniforms. Really, that's about it. There will still be happy hours, you just won't see signs advertising happy hours. You can still wear your Chang tank top (unless you work at a bar/restaurant). You can still buy alcohol at nearly everywhere that you used to (except for those sidwalk bars that spring up at 1am). The only thing that looks worrisome, is no alcohol consumption after midnight at bars or restaurants.

What is worse than the actual law itself is the Nanny state ideology....we need a law for controlling normal life of the people as the people aren't grown up enough to decide themself.

Banning drinking after midnight might be right or wrong, but it should be my right to decide if I want to drink after midnight (no one was ever forced to drink).

• Like 1

No no no. Not allowed a good spin on it. Has to be anti farang and bad for tourism. Booking a flight out on internet as I type.

A dry Thailand only affect falang. Thai people are Buddhist and drinking is against believes anyway. This is a Buddhist country.

Your having a laugh aren't you.....So what your saying is Thai's dont drink...wow....

check the laws in north america. these are close. I do think that tat will get bar hours until 1.

next step blow abovve .08 24 hours in jail.

\have an accident automatic 30 days

They are NOT close. The US is much more tolerant.

Where my mom lives in the states the sale of alcohol is prohibited 100 percent. How is that more tolerant?

Seems like this is going to be good for the family going on holiday here now. No more noise after 12, no more scream from drunk people middle of the night. People can be more tighter , no fighting so maybe in the long term this will be good for the tourism. Even a better image of Thailand ;) Edited by carstenp

check the laws in north america. these are close. I do think that tat will get bar hours until 1.

Where my mom lives in the states the sale of alcohol is prohibited 100 percent. How is that more tolerant?

Bet she knows where to get one if she wants one.

Seems like this is going to be good for the family going on holiday here now. No more noise after 12, no more scream from drunk people middle of the night. People can be more tighter , no fighting so maybe in the long term this will be good for the tourism. wink.png

Like I stated before, people who Want to get drunk, will get drunk earlier.......

And believe me, they will find a way to get booze after midnight, not think that will be so difficult....

• Like 1

This news could explain alot.....Where I stay, Lamphun, there's a disco with live entertainment and am friendly with the singers etc..They tell me the place..Rodeo pub its called, is closing in September.Its rumoured to be owned by police and usually stays open till 4 am..They have all the stuff thats going to banned so this could fit in...

This is going to be interesting..Around there is many thousands who work in electronics etc and enjoy there late nights a couple of times a week.....This is so going to hit the tourist trade too as word gets around..

Your mom lives in a dry county, which are quite small and merely a handful across a few states not a dry COUNTRY. At least, that's where she lived last time I was over there.

Again a lot to do about nothing. First wait what this all will do in real life. There was already an alcohol ban in stores. Russians are walking around with their bottle of Vodka at 10 am, they will do same.

No alcohol after midnight? Ok, when you can drink again then? I know something, that until midnight you can get really drunk. In restaurants, I not eat that often, after midnight do you? Is alcohol banned out of the Kingdom? No!

For the visitors of girlie-bars, guess you have to come earlier (the nice girls are gone before midnight also). And then after midnight, stock your alcohol in your room!

If these rules come effective, I know this for sure :

- I will drink alcohol when I want, maybe not where I want.

- There will be no less alcoholic drivers, maybe they just be drunk sooner.

- Water could be more expensive then beer at some times.

Taxes on alcohol, especially wine, what I like to drink most, are already sky-high. One of the reasons I not move to Thailand, not this stupid law, that will not change anything for me. Prefer this then a new increase of prices, tired to pay a lot for shit.

And if you want my opinion, there will be plenty of alcohol available, one way or another......

Problem with your reasoning is the clubs in Bangkok don't get going until after midnight and I want to be drinking at 2am, 3am, 4am.... because that is when the fun really starts.