Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

We all condemn Thailand for being the second worst country for road accidents. This is a huge problem and alcohol is a major factor. We may not like to stop drinking and going home at midnight but this is going to decrease drunk driving accidents. It is going to decrease fights and other drinking related problems. It is going to perhaps also save a few brain cells in the youth of Thailand. It is going to save lives !

This country has been out of control for too long. Perhaps now is the time to clean it up once and for all.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all condemn Thailand for being the second worst country for road accidents. This is a huge problem and alcohol is a major factor. We may not like to stop drinking and going home at midnight but this is going to decrease drunk driving accidents. It is going to decrease fights and other drinking related problems. It is going to perhaps also save a few brain cells in the youth of Thailand. It is going to save lives !

This country has been out of control for too long. Perhaps now is the time to clean it up once and for all.

I dont think the changes are going to help the Thai's..Its a culture thing with them..When theres a public holiday and drink is banned from being sold the Thais in my village area all all smashed by 4 pm afternoon....They do drink so much as a nation and taking in to consideration there size far more in relation to body mass than farang.

Obviously this a generalisation but you know what I mean...When this hits the tourist industry , restaurants . bars etc like it or not many many Thai Girls and people in this industry are going to really struggle...Like I said earlier already around me in Lamphun a club is closing which stayed open till 4 and there is about 100 employed there..this is going to have big effects on many aspects of Thai life..some good ..a lot bad..

I dont think the changes are going to help the Thai's..Its a culture thing with them..When theres a public holiday and drink is banned from being sold the Thais in my village area all all smashed by 4 pm afternoon....They do drink so much as a nation and taking in to consideration there size far more in relation to body mass than farang.

Obviously this a generalisation but you know what I mean...When this hits the tourist industry , restaurants . bars etc like it or not many many Thai Girls and people in this industry are going to really struggle...Like I said earlier already around me in Lamphun a club is closing which stayed open till 4 and there is about 100 employed there..this is going to have big effects on many aspects of Thai life..some good ..a lot bad..

This country has been out of control for too long. Perhaps now is the time to clean it up once and for

Not sure how you posted this three times.

• Like 1

The junta is trying to clean up the mess that has been out of control for ever. Second worst country for road accidents, education system a mess, killings and domestic violence out of control, corruption out of control.... The list of problems goes on and on.

Alcohol is a factor in many of these areas maybe not the cause but a factor. Drastic times requires drastic actions.

It's not over yet so pull up a seat or make your exit.

Not so sure that this will affect the Thai economy in a bad way. Say I earn 15k a month I will still spend my full salary, but less on alcohol and more on other items. Alcohol industry will loose, others will benefit. It may even boost productivity, when hangovers are reduced....

Personally I hope these regulations will never be implemented. With all the new regulations and crackdowns the law enforcing capacity must be stretched to the limit already. And more paper laws are surely coming...

WB

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

As was mentioned earlier, next comes the Dress Code. The citizenry are to become mindless robots all dancing in unison to the same drum beat. No individuality and therefore much easier to control. Punish achievement. Government domination.

What a shame for Thailand.

• Like 1

Prohibition had folks making their own and in some cases dangerous stuff. People going blind, etc. Make it hard to get and the challenge will be to find another way. Are Thais easily challenged?

Anyone who thinks making it difficult to get whiskey but okay for beer and wine does not understand alcohol. Alcohol is just as lethal in the form of beer or wine.

What is a beer girl?

Prohibition had folks making their own and in some cases dangerous stuff. People going blind, etc. Make it hard to get and the challenge will be to find another way. Are Thais easily challenged?

Anyone who thinks making it difficult to get whiskey but okay for beer and wine does not understand alcohol. Alcohol is just as lethal in the form of beer or wine.

What is a beer girl?

Beer girl = those girls you see promoting a certain beer wearing a green or white skin tight dress (usually).

About time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

Oh, yes, by all means let Thailand move to Prohibition as the U.S. experimented with previously. I understand the positive idea behind social engineering personal habits but, from history, I think this Puitan style move is doomed to fail. This is opposite to attracting tourism of many middle and upper class, while you might hold down the Fuul Moon Parties, the cost will be counterproductive. Let's see what the alcohol beverage industry does in reaction.

• Like 1

It won't make any difference as the majority of Thai drinkers drink at people's homes then drive back to their own places. And it's often illegal liquor that won't have any health warnings on the label, unless they happen to bottle it in a new Blend 285 bottle with the shiny health warning on.

With regard to midnight closures, I believe this law has been on the books for some time but never properly enforced. It's why you can't buy a beer in 7-Eleven after midnight. There's also the 2pm to 5pm closure, which bars have tended to ignore except if you want a beer in a shopping centre where the law seems to apply. Will this be enforced as well?

As for tourist areas, many are designated as "entertainment zones". They have separate laws and are permitted to open later, either until 1am or 2am depending upon the licence. As they are apparently utilising old laws to enforce these changes, my guess would be that this will not change.

But who knows?

I don't know why we Farangs keep thinking that we matter in Thailand. We don't. Just like a guest in your home would have to abide by any changes in your rules. Everything that makes Thailand exotic revolves around what reforms are suppose to address... CORRUPTION. Sooner or later, and it seems sooner, the foundation of our playhouse, will be ripped from beneath us and without a foundation what house can stand? We are guests. The new power doesn't car about Farang businesses especially bars. Just like "quality tourists" the junta will be looking to deter businesses that promote or associated with prostitution, drugs, drinking and smoking and encourage quality businesses that are more family orientated. They will experiment with a smaller city and let it be the "test model" the implementation to the Hotspots. So Drink up, smoke up but don't <deleted> up.

I agree with you that all people from outside Thailand must realize that this isn't "home". In regard to business, the "Disney" idea that you talk about is a possibility that has much more potential than the adult side that is currently offered. However, changing bar times and reducing the availability of such things doesn't make much sense. Why not just change locations of certain aspects of society? In other words, knock down Nana... rebuild it into a hotel mecca... throw in a theme park... add fun bars for mainstream tourists. Near the airport... create a new area of sin. Let all the old bars relocate... maybe not that far... how about BangNa?

If you want to pipe dream then how about this: The junta will legalize prostitution as they did in Singapore with entertainment venues but no sex shows. Remember what Alliances the military represents. What is driving moral change is Buddhism and the keepers of Buddhism. If it is a "Sin" in the moral eyes of Buddhism then it will not be "promoted" nor tolerated in The New Thailand The Gem Of Asean.

• Like 1

I don't know why we Farangs keep thinking that we matter in Thailand. We don't. Just like a guest in your home would have to abide by any changes in your rules. Everything that makes Thailand exotic revolves around what reforms are suppose to address... CORRUPTION. Sooner or later, and it seems sooner, the foundation of our playhouse, will be ripped from beneath us and without a foundation what house can stand? We are guests. The new power doesn't car about Farang businesses especially bars. Just like "quality tourists" the junta will be looking to deter businesses that promote or associated with prostitution, drugs, drinking and smoking and encourage quality businesses that are more family orientated. They will experiment with a smaller city and let it be the "test model" the implementation to the Hotspots. So Drink up, smoke up but don't <deleted> up.

I agree with you that all people from outside Thailand must realize that this isn't "home". In regard to business, the "Disney" idea that you talk about is a possibility that has much more potential than the adult side that is currently offered. However, changing bar times and reducing the availability of such things doesn't make much sense. Why not just change locations of certain aspects of society? In other words, knock down Nana... rebuild it into a hotel mecca... throw in a theme park... add fun bars for mainstream tourists. Near the airport... create a new area of sin. Let all the old bars relocate... maybe not that far... how about BangNa?
If you want to pipe dream then how about this: The junta will legalize prostitution as they did in Singapore with entertainment venues but no sex shows. Remember what Alliances the military represents. What is driving moral change is Buddhism and the keepers of Buddhism. If it is a "Sin" in the moral eyes of Buddhism then it will not be "promoted" nor tolerated in The New Thailand The Gem Of Asean.
Good idea but what we are experiencing has been in the making and agreed upon before the coup.

The junta sees billions in trade opportunities and cares less about sin entertainment and barking dogs. But it has to clean up Thailand and give it a good face. They believe a good face and good luck will give them trade opportunities that will make tourism not a factor to their Gdp.

What is a beer girl?

Beer girl = those girls you see promoting a certain beer wearing a green or white skin tight dress (usually).

Some will say that the beer girls are just another facet of marketing in a consumerist society, but I think they are an intriguing aspect of contemporary Thai culture. Also known as 'sao BG' and featured in songs such as Carabao's 'Sao Beer Chang', the beer girls are quite different from the girls who staff the farang-style hostess bars. They do not work for the bar but for the beer company (or a contracted agency). Quite a few are students working part-time and all are young and reasonably presentable. They are most definitely not supposed to be selling extra-curricular services. While some of my younger middle-class Thai male friends look down their noses at the 'pooying bar' from the western enclaves, they see 'sao BG' as fair game and are happy to gossip about any conquests.

Edited by citizen33

Why not take a look and study same in western countries before putting into effect such harsh and unenforcable laws. How about farangs arriving at the airport wearing a heineken t-shirt. Sorry sir, you have to take off your shirt.