Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a strong dislike of alcohol and the industry from the very top down in this country. Advertising of alcohol has actually been banned for the last 5 years, but manufacturers have got around this by turning billboards etc into safe consumption messages. Marketers will find a way.

there is this statistic i find very hard to believe

'"I am only here to help you, the media and relevant businesses to understand the law," said Second Lieutenant Taweesak Jintajiranan. "This law was put into effect due to the rapidly growing costs of alcohol to this nation. Alcohol-related accidents have increased significantly in recent years. While the government makes 70 billion baht income per year from alcohol tax, the cost to the government is upwards of 150 billion baht."

Now firstly, 'I am only here to help you' okay laughing has subsided Mr second LT.........where the hell did they find this costing the government 150 Billion baht a year come from? what? how?

Staggering ! i can only hope this is a ruse or an anti government propaganda campaign.

Thailand you are full of surprises.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

is it true that alcohol can now only be sold between the hours of 3.16 a,m and 3.17 am

Only on Tuesdays & Thursdays?

In a 31 day month.........................tongue.png

Edited by chrisinth

I think many people will lose their jobs because of this but alcohol consumption and problems related to this will drop very slightly. This strong-armed military government wants to fix all the problems they feel exist immediately but without thinking the whole plan and its effects through.

I challenge anyone who promotes the use of alcohol to walk in my shoes This includes seeing my own life family wrecked due to it. Sure some good times were had and alcohol can be fun if you are one of the lucky ones.

Alcohol is evil in this country - I've been going weekly to the biggest alcohol rehab in the country for more than 10 years to try help others and could write a book about all the misery I've seen.

if you can't do without alcohol 24 hours a day or think promoting such a substance is morally correct, take a good look at yourself.

Do you have any idea how many people in this country are killed because of alcohol every day? Take a guess.

• Like 1

No more beer girls? What the hell?

LOL don't panic, it's beer girls, not bar girls.

Incidentally, I notice that this thread was started by George yesterday at 18:39 and there are already 14 pages of comments. I haven't been a TV member for ages, but I believe it's quite a record... says something about TV members, now, doesn't it ? tongue.png

Edited by Yann55

I have to admit, this has raised my eyebrows. So last call for alcohol is midnight? Wow, this has taken me by surprise. Not to be a kill joy, is drinking in public next as I"d thought they would do this before what has been mentioned?

Interesting to see where this goes..

Last call would NOT be midnight. It says no consumption of alcohol after midnight at a bar or restaurant. So at 11:59pm you would need to dump your drink on the ground or risk a ticket.

I forsee private member's only clubs, where you pay 100 baht for a one night membership which gives you one free beer.

Yeah, that's what I meant. But It would make more sense to stop serving at midnight as that other alternative just seems wrong.

Hey, it could be worse, it could be no more (fill in the blank)?

Prayuth famous words : "This is Thai Style democracy" .

Welcome to paradise

The generals is the greatest thing in Thailand since sliced bread, then as soon as it affects alcohol, it all changes. just get the unlicensed drivers and underage motor cyclists off the road now, and maybe, just maybe the general will be in favour again.

5555 - My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

So how can we find out when its Happy Hours when the staff are not allowed to talk about it and no signs ?

there gotta be a song named happy hour they can play

biggrin.png I put this version up as it has the words, worth reading them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vXAjiHmvh30

Edited by chrisinth

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

is it true that alcohol can now only be sold between the hours of 3.16 a,m and 3.17 am

Only on Tuesdays & Thursdays?

In a 31 day month.........................tongue.png

In a leap year, under a double moon.. Edited by Friendly Stranger
  • Like 1

I wonder what political side the big beer and whisky tycoons are on in Thailand... Considering how much money they make, I think it's relevant to wonder who they've been supporting so far, which might explain one or two things whistling.gif

Edited by Yann55

I challenge anyone who promotes the use of alcohol to walk in my shoes This includes seeing my own life family wrecked due to it. Sure some good times were had and alcohol can be fun if you are one of the lucky ones.

Alcohol is evil in this country - I've been going weekly to the biggest alcohol rehab in the country for more than 10 years to try help others and could write a book about all the misery I've seen.

if you can't do without alcohol 24 hours a day or think promoting such a substance is morally correct, take a good look at yourself.

Do you have any idea how many people in this country are killed because of alcohol every day? Take a guess.

is Thailand any different from any other country? no!

One scary introduction: Hi, I'm with the Junta and I'm here to help you.

But seriously, "Promoting alcohol through word of mouth is also illegal."

Does this mean if I offer someone like a friend or new acquaitence an alcoholic drink (beer?) or ask someine if they'd like to have an alcoholic drink with me, I have broken the law? If I ask my wife if she would like to have some wine with dinner, I have broken the law? Before presenting the public with new sweeping enforcement policies, they need to be presented to the public for feedback first. I know this is not the way of the junta to ask for public comment prior to issuing their edicts, it is their nature to issue orders. But for effective and meaningful enforcement, getting the Thai people's support is critical to the rule of law.

• Like 2

Neeranam, i don't like being preached to mate. I do not like being told what to do. We all know what can happen to people, some care more than others about it. However it is a personal choice and one which normally stems from back home.

Only one thing screwed up the family and its not alcohol. I hate people using drugs and alcohol for their own personal failings. Sure it didnt help, but it damn sure doesnt make the choices for you, both whether to drink and daily life. Alcoholics have to understand the problem is them not the drink. The t-total for life shows the weak will of these people.

I am all for positive change but avoidance for me is a negative emotion. It might work short time, but regression will happen as the root cause goes untreated.

I wish you all the best in your life of course. Please think though, am i blaming the drink or me? It should be you.

No, alcohol ruins many families. I agree that alcohol is not the original problem for alcoholics but certainly becomes one.

Are you saying that alcoholics are weak-willed? If so, you couldn't be farther from the truth.

I don't like being preached to too but I think it necessary for some.

I don't see the relevance of your question and disagree with your answer. BTW, it rather pompous calling yourself Khun. It is a term of respect used by others, never oneself.

As far as I can tell, the majority of these "new" laws are from 2008. The motorbike helmet law came in about 1998 - never enforced. Over 40 years ago the Thai government decreed that all Thais learn English - never enforced. The Junta may do something about alcohol and cigarette advertising, but the rest - never enforced.

• Like 1

One scary introduction: Hi, I'm with the Junta and I'm here to help you.

But seriously, "Promoting alcohol through word of mouth is also illegal."

Does this mean if I offer someone like a friend or new acquaitence an alcoholic drink (beer?) or ask someine if they'd like to have an alcoholic drink with me, I have broken the law? If I ask my wife if she would like to have some wine with dinner, I have broken the law? Before presenting the public with new sweeping enforcement policies, they need to be presented to the public for feedback first. I know this is not the way of the junta to ask for public comment prior to issuing their edicts, it is their nature to issue orders. But for effective and meaningful enforcement, getting the Thai people's support is critical to the rule of law.

'Word of mouth' would related to celebrity endorsement, twitter and other forms of public advocacy used to get around advertising and promotional laws. Not a chat among friends.

I don't see the relevance of your question and disagree with your answer. BTW, it rather pompous calling yourself Khun. It is a term of respect used by others, never oneself.

the gloves are off Neeee whatever, so you are saying Thailand is different from other countries with regard to alcohol problems? sorry your English makes it difficult for you to understand the question !

not that i need to tell you the story behind my name, but i will so you understand, hopefully you will understand this.....my nick name stems from the fact that i speak Hungarian and my name is Kevin....hence K Hun hope you enjoy this fact and stop prejudging people !

Edited by KhunKevin

well they should stop Tesco selling old plonk off cheap that should be tipped down the drain, anyone else noticed this. They are selling off bottles years out of date for 199, Chianti 5 years old and Shiraz/CS Australian 6 years old. Had a bottle of Wolf Blass this week, tasted like vinegar.

Wineo

Edited by Paulzed

I guess businesses will just have to attact customers the old fashioned way, with good service, competitive prices, and high-quality products.

not with competitive prices and high-quality products.

400 % tax on alcohol makes competitive products impossible.

High-quality products is at beer impossible if they can only offer Thai beer....

• Like 1

All alcoholism is weak willed people who cannot say no. Its much harder to say my fun stops now, not the reverse.

You and only you (the drinker) is responsible for their own actions both before during and after. With this in mind who's fault is it? The drinkers or the drink?

It is the same as other drug users blaming the addiction as the reason. They and only them are the ones with the power to avoid or stop it.

I am sure there were plenty of warning signs which went ignored from simple loss of control to complicated personal relationships.

I am the worst sort of advocate, an ex user. When I was young I was weak. My drug of choice was cocaine. I was aware what was happening so quickly turned the corner, it took awhile to figure the problen was indeed me. Everyone was blaming the drugs.

I can use now without the fear of addiction. The problem was all in my head. I agree this is not as easy for everyone but it is possible for everyone.

The new laws are almost babysitting drinkers. In the UK we have done that for years same as raise prices, the effect of such a campaign? Nothing! We still have growing antisocial behavoir and violence, alcoholism and crime figures.

This for me will only hurt the tourism industry further and just like the visa rules I expected a panicked turn around.

Whilst I believe the NCPO are doing a good job they can at times get carried away with fixing things or like this identify a key problem but just manage it incorrectly. A+ for effort but a C for implementation.

• Like 2

Talk about dumb laws,this country is getting good at that.

NCPO: Enforcing existing laws that where ignored.

Ever single thing that has gone down over the past few months has been upholding

existing laws.

"Good on them"

They are not stoping me from having a drink, all they are enforcing is existing laws

to clean up a filthy situation.

When i am in Thailand 6 months every year i do so legaly.

What the NCPO is doing is enforcing Thai law on the Thai people that have been

flawnting there own law for years.

I do not care what the NCPO does to the Thai people if the cant live within the boundry

of Thai law...

The root cause of this crackdown is the rampant alcoholism that has gripped rural communities across Thailand as a direct result of the Thaksin policy to promote the production of Lao Khaow.

This crackdown + crazy taxes on alcohol further promotes the home production of Lao Khaow.

lower the drinking age to 16.

Offer cheap and high quality beers and wine. Outlaw Lao Khaow with methanol content (which really destroys the brain) and hope a culture of responsible drinking will establish itself.

• Like 1