High alert as Phuket Airport handles 'bomb on plane' call

webfact

High alert as Phuket Airport handles 'bomb on plane' call
The Phuket News

1409057680_1-org.jpg
Safe: Passengers from FD 3003 walk into the terminal after their bags were searched for a bomb.

PHUKET: -- Phuket International Airport went on high alert just after midday when a call was received saying that there was a bomb aboard an AirAsia flight that was due to land in five minutes.

Air Asia flight FD 3003 left Don Muang international Airport in Bangkok at 10:55am and was due to land in Phuket at 12:15 with 167 passengers and six crew aboard.

The bomb call came in at 12:10.

Makin Petplai, the President of Airports of Thailand, which owns and operates the airport, issued a statement this afternoon saying, “Officers immediately took action. When the flight landed the pilot was instructed to move the airplane to the Isolated Parking Area.

“Passengers were evacuated and their bags unloaded onto the tarmac. Then security and bomb disposal officers had the passengers identify their bags, which were searched.”

The airline and the passengers all gave full cooperation, he said, and no bomb was found.

“Everything is fine, nothing happened. It was a hoax call. The aircraft left Phuket Airport again at 3:08pm, arriving back at Don Muang at 4:28pm.

“We have lodged a complaint with Tah Chat Chai Police asking them to track down the person who made the call,” Mr Makin said.

“Our safety plans meet the standards of the International Civil Aviation Organization, and we also have annual emergency simulations. This year the rehearsal will take place on August 27 and 28.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/high-alert-as-phuket-airport-handles-bomb-on-plane-call-48055.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-08-27

Registration of all SIM Carde, recording of all calls to police and airlines. These kinds of tactics are designed to undermine public confidence and cause panic.

They know ALL must be handled as REAL Threats.

Very harsh penalties need to be given these people and fast justice. 10 years in jail, no bail.

And don't let anyone use your phone, you don't know what they may use it for.

Times, they are a change n.

It's totally mind-boggling when you think how much turmoil a single lunatic moron can generate with one crummy little phone.

Seeing how many lunatics are at large, steaming with anger, resentment, bitterness, and suchlike feelings towards their 'fellow' human beings, it's actually surprising that this kind of mess doesn't happen more blink.png

Registration of all SIM Carde, recording of all calls to police and airlines. These kinds of tactics are designed to undermine public confidence and cause panic.

They know ALL must be handled as REAL Threats.

Very harsh penalties need to be given these people and fast justice. 10 years in jail, no bail.

And don't let anyone use your phone, you don't know what they may use it for.

Times, they are a change n.

little bit paranoid today? are you the NSA guy for SEA?

I agree with Iamnoon88,

The passengers should have been moved well away from the plane as fast as possible. Not having them hang around identifying bags! Could you imagine the newspaper headlines around the world if there was a bomb and it exploded! 197 Dead in aircraft bomb, after the plane landed and all passengers disembarked safely!

The passengers could have been held in a safe secure room in the terminal and the bags searched. If anything found the bag could have been identified by the tags and barcodes on it.

Thank god it was a hoax or many people may have died because of stupid Thai procedures.

In my various jobs we always had to prepare for potential bomb threats. Number one rule was NO CELL PHONES. e of cell phones could detonate the bomb. Wonder if that is part of the simulation training?

Idiots

I assume you mean the hoaxer and not the airline ?

Agreed, some people think they're real smart. I kindly invite eezergood to go out and do something wrong and find out how long it takes them to find him. Police here are a lot more organized and efficient than some people give them credit for.

Just look at the types of crimes committed here....international gangsters, smugglers, traffickers, perverts, suicidal maniacs, terrorists, con artists.... you name it, they got it. (and more)

I have to feel sorry for the police here....they get 20 years experience in the course of one month on duty, especially in Phuket and Pattaya. They must be overwhelmed with backlog, as well as grossly underpaid.

bangkokheat, on 27 Aug 2014 - 09:34, said:

the perp will get caught, he will be bragging about it to his mates over a feed of som tam while sucking on a leo

Assuming that there really was a "hoax", being a suspicious person, I find it hard to believe in the coincidence of a "hoax" at the same time they were training for this very action. And why would a "hoaxer" call the Phuket airport, instead of the airport the aircraft departed from...just try finding their contact number. Would be easier to call Air Asia.

Never been involved in a crisis such as this. However, if I ever am, I pray with all my heart that it is not Thai authorities that I need to rely upon to resolve the situation

And why is that?

You ever looked at the list of successful bombings?

Can you find Thailand among them?

Either no one targets the country or their security is first class

I'm gonna go out on a limb and go with option 1.

• Like 2

atlbravosfan, on 27 Aug 2014 - 12:14, said:
abitmiffed, on 27 Aug 2014 - 10:52, said:
Bulldozer Dawn, on 27 Aug 2014 - 10:50, said:

Never been involved in a crisis such as this. However, if I ever am, I pray with all my heart that it is not Thai authorities that I need to rely upon to resolve the situation.

I guess you will be leaving the country then?

I guess this post got you a bit miffed, eh?

Maybe he's not "miffed" but like others who have nothing to add they through in either the "racist" card or the "why don't you leave" one. Mindless, non-thinking replies.

I'm giving Seabass69 some credit here. Could be someone in airport security screwed up the disaster simulation date. The "hoax" call could have been the codeword for the simulation. Instead it got reported as real. Whatever the truth, many things got muddled.