Paying for a vehicle. Options other than cash?

Bung

Every time I buy a vehicle here I have paid in full but they always say pay in cash. Even the banks say this as they have big fees to transfer money. Surely in this day and age there is a simpler and safer way to pay for a vehicle than running around town with a huge sack of cash? It's ridiculous.

Bank cheque?

I just bought a 690,000 Baht pickup and it was comical with me counting out the cash out then one of the dealers staff doing it again let alone the security risk of carrying it from the bank.

I paid for mine with bank transfer to the dealer's account, which was free at my bank.

The dealer would not take a cashier's cheque (which was good enough to buy a condo worth many times more than a car) and I would not pay cash.

• Like 1

I tried doing a transfer to the dealers account but they wanted something like 1000B in fees to do it. I told them they must be joking and they said just take cash like everyone else does.....

Just seems a very backward way to do it.

As kitten Kong just said dealer won't take a cashiers cheque......I guess maybe some will. I can't see why they wouldn't accept it, just have to wait until it clears to take delivery.

Maybe it is too much work for them.

Maybe not practical but I find it awsome to step unanounced into a bank , withdraw 700k and go pay the dealer with the 7 stacks of 100k in 1000 THB notes.

In europe , you can't take out more than 1250 euro in cash unanounced. If you order to take out more than 10k euro in cash , you are flagged and good luck paying a cardealer in cash.

In spain 3000 euro is the maximum amount for cash transactions , other euro's about 5000 .

Luckely Thailand does not have such capital controls after all it is my money.

That said paying bills in Thailand via the bank is crappy with always with extra fees.

A cash transfer in Thailand costs you 10 or 20 baht fees, I can't remember but I've done it many times. Also very easy and straight forward all you need is beneficiary, bank name and acct nbr. System is nearly instantaneous, ie money credited on other bank account in less than hour. If you need to do such a transfer just go to the next bank and they will do it.

• Like 1

That's interesting as SCB wanted over 1000 baht in fees to transfer a large amount into another bank account. It was a while ago now though and maybe things have changed now or it's just SCB being useless. I will ask about it.

Hilarious. Wanted to pay my dealer just under a mil for my last vehicle

Offered cash......Cannot.??? Dealer did not know what to do for a rare occasion like this

Asked for their bank accound details to do a direct transfer to them Cannot.????

I was going to do an Internet transfer on my Lap top in front of them and produce my receipt.Cannot???

I invited the salesperson to accompany me to my bank/ same as theirs as it turned out.

Did the usual withdrawal slip,plus ATM Card, Passport,size of my boots,brand of tooth paste,length of my little

finger etc.

Wacko out came the money counting machine and the right amount was obtained ,and money

.I handed to the dealer lady sitting with me.

Dealer person then offered their deposit slip(to the same teller of course)

Wacko, the wad of notes was recounted on the machine, and the amount was the same as intended

Amazing!

As I drove the lady back to the dealer she apologised,as she had never ever had to do a cash sale before.

One does wonder some times!

• Like 1

You must live in a different part of Thailand from me.

Have been buying cars since 20 years ago, all paid by cashier's cheque. Nobody would want cash, it has security issues, and it lacks traceability. Until that money leaves the customer's hand into the sales hand, who knows what happens between?

Would you want cash?

Or would you want a cashier cheque, with proof it left your bank account. Then given to the dealer's. And if it is not deposited into the dealer's account. File a police report for a loss cheque, and investigation will start to see where it is deposited. Safer than cash? Sure why not.

• Like 1

Some of the dealers would prefer the cash I imagine so they can play around with the numbers before paying out commissions etc.

You know, sort of minimise their tax liability or some such thing.

Salesmen don't like you to have time to get cold feet on a deal and maybe they see the cheque clearance time as giving you that time to say, re consider. Paying cash the deal is done and finished immediately.

I have only purchased one car here but have purchased a few properties. Really unsafe feeling having millions of Baht in a bag at the Land Titles office waiting for the point where the property gets transferred so to pay or receive this bag of cash. Then racing off to the Bank to deposit it ( when you are selling) .

Amazing stuff.

Regards.

Hilarious. Wanted to pay my dealer just under a mil for my last vehicle

Offered cash......Cannot.??? Dealer did not know what to do for a rare occasion like this

Asked for their bank accound details to do a direct transfer to them Cannot.????

I was going to do an Internet transfer on my Lap top in front of them and produce my receipt.Cannot???

I invited the salesperson to accompany me to my bank/ same as theirs as it turned out.

Did the usual withdrawal slip,plus ATM Card, Passport,size of my boots,brand of tooth paste,length of my little

finger etc.

Wacko out came the money counting machine and the right amount was obtained ,and money

.I handed to the dealer lady sitting with me.

Dealer person then offered their deposit slip(to the same teller of course)

Wacko, the wad of notes was recounted on the machine, and the amount was the same as intended

Amazing!

As I drove the lady back to the dealer she apologised,as she had never ever had to do a cash sale before.

One does wonder some times!

You have to wonder why the dealer lady didn't offer the deposit slip at the same time you offered the withdrawal and boot size (etc.) .

Why put the Bank through all that hassle.

A lot of times the Bank teller would not have all that cash in the drawer and would need to get 3 or 4 other people to get it out of the safe etc. Quite a hassle.

Amazing Thailand.

i tried to buy a moto with my debit card and the dealer wanted cash,consequently my wife heard of my attempted purchace and vetoed it. if they would have accepted my card it was a sale on the spot but they and myself missed out.

Strange..... In the UK when I was was paying cash from my business into the bank, I was charged a 1% fee..

Now on 690'000 baht that would be a whopping 6900 baht not to mention the risk of a few dodgy notes in the mix.

I just can't understand this cash culture in Thailand and why they havn't moved on, less paper cash means less risk of theft/robbery etc..

It must be that most people buying expensive cars can't really afford it on their "declared" income... only logical explanation.

I tried doing a transfer to the dealers account but they wanted something like 1000B in fees to do it. I told them they must be joking and they said just take cash like everyone else does.....

Just seems a very backward way to do it.

So you wont pay the $30 transfer fee, but you are willing to risk the full amount when you go from the bank to the dealer facepalm.gif

• Like 2

Maybe not practical but I find it awsome to step unanounced into a bank , withdraw 700k and go pay the dealer with the 7 stacks of 100k in 1000 THB notes.

In europe , you can't take out more than 1250 euro in cash unanounced. If you order to take out more than 10k euro in cash , you are flagged and good luck paying a cardealer in cash.

In spain 3000 euro is the maximum amount for cash transactions , other euro's about 5000 .

Luckely Thailand does not have such capital controls after all it is my money.

That said paying bills in Thailand via the bank is crappy with always with extra fees.

I have been using Bangkok Bank's e banking for 18 months now and have had no problems. 95% of the bills and transfers I make are fee free. The rest I get done for B15. The few bucks it costs a year is well worth the documentation, convenience, and not having to manage all of the paper. It is absurd to wait in line to take cash out of one back then walk 20m to another bank and wait in another line to deposit the money in another account.

Recently bought my first car in LOS. Cash. Easy peasy. Had a representative from the dealership accompany me to the bank. Withdrew 700k. The dealer guy watched the whole transaction & bank staff count the cash several times. Cash presented to me & in the same motion I handed to dealership guy. No security issues for me. Bank happy, dealer happy, me happy. Too easy.

A great day to all..... Mal.

Strange..... In the UK when I was was paying cash from my business into the bank, I was charged a 1% fee..

Now on 690'000 baht that would be a whopping 6900 baht not to mention the risk of a few dodgy notes in the mix.

I just can't understand this cash culture in Thailand and why they havn't moved on, less paper cash means less risk of theft/robbery etc..

It must be that most people buying expensive cars can't really afford it on their "declared" income... only logical explanation.

Cash is just a way to protect your privacy. I personally like it. In the middle east they pay most things with cash too.