Ordered to come into the bank to show my passport

My Bangkok Bank account still has the address of the house I built and sold over 18 years ago. I asked them a few months ago if they needed an updated address and they said they would need to request the change of address form from head office and would let me know. I have heard nothing about it since.

Meanwhile, my Isle of Man based bank that I have been happy with for nigh on 30 years has suddenly requested that I prove who I am and where I live with very arcane and limited ways of providing the evidence they seek.

But I digress... the OP should pop into the local branch and speak to the manager about what exactly they require and why. It doesn't sound like much of a hardship unlike my UK offshore bank!

And yet, when I change my address with BKB, they just type it into the computer, print out a copy, then get me to sign it.

(different rule for foreigners?)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just pop in and see your friendly bank manager. Nothing like face to face meetings to develop a personal relationship, nice cup of coffee when you are there and a morning out when you have nothing else to do.

• Like 1

My Bangkok Bank account still has the address of the house I built and sold over 18 years ago. I asked them a few months ago if they needed an updated address and they said they would need to request the change of address form from head office and would let me know. I have heard nothing about it since.

Meanwhile, my Isle of Man based bank that I have been happy with for nigh on 30 years has suddenly requested that I prove who I am and where I live with very arcane and limited ways of providing the evidence they seek.

But I digress... the OP should pop into the local branch and speak to the manager about what exactly they require and why. It doesn't sound like much of a hardship unlike my UK offshore bank!

I know this is off topic,but you mentioned your Isle of Man account.Just out of curiosity have you had a letter from your IOM bank asking for your N.I. number.I also have an account there and back about April they said on the insturctions of HMRC they would be sending me a letter in July requesting my N.I. number.As yet no letter (maybe gone astray in the Thai Postal system,no surprise there ).I know from the UK news HMRC are chasing people.Would be interested to see if other posters have had the same.

Remember your passport is the property of your country. I would make a photo copy of page one and your visa stamp but don't physically give it to them. Until the exact reason is given for their request, even then I wouldn't let them touch your passport. If they cannot answer you, I would contact the tourist police in the area which normally has English speaking officers who generally are helpful. If not they should be able to direct you in the right direction. Thai's, and I'm sure the bank would not be happy to see police enquiry about this matter. With all of the changes now, Thai's seem to falling into line to understand how to treat foreign people and feel the future change which is coming their way.

The OP reads like the call ended right after the request was made. OP: did you not have a chance to ask the caller why the request is being made, and to point out that your passport is the same today as it was when they photocopied it ten years ago? Without answers to these questions, the bank is just wasting your time.

It wasn't a short telephone call. The first two employees didn't speak any English, so I had to ask what exactly they wanted in Thai. (And my Thai is pretty good.) They couldn't explain. The third spoke some English, but again couldn't explain exactly what was required or why. (The major sticking point in both languages was that the staff concerned couldn't actually give the exact name, in Thai or English, of precisely what document they required.) I pointed out that I have lived in Thailand for more than 10 years and never been asked to produce my passport, other than to open an account or make a withdrawal. I also pointed out that no other bank has ever asked me to produce my passport without a good reason. (I'm rather grumpy like that.)

The impression I got was that the branch had received some instruction from Head Office to verify something or other, and the local staff didn't understand. (I don't live in an area with many foreigners, so staff aren't used to dealing with them and their issues.)

Why didn't you ask when you talked on the phone with them ??

Language problems. I did ask, and the person couldn't explain in English what was needed.

(In fact, the whole 'phone call was rather amateurish. The person who actually 'phoned me couldn't speak any English at all, and I had to hold whilst he found someone who spoke a little.)

As your accounts are over 10 yrs old, your passport and passport number have changed. They probably just need to update their records to a valid ID

I have an account over 10 years old with Bangkok Bank, actually on my 2nd passport away from the one I opened it with, also have a new phone number and live in a different province. I thought I'd open a new account in my current province (because banks seem to operate as independent franchises here, incur a fee for out of province transactions). I thought I'd do the right thing and update all my details then get everything added to my existing internet banking.

That's when the problems started, without the passbook from my original account (destroyed in the Bangkok floods 5 years ago), they can't seem to connect any of the dots. Still trying to get them to acknowledge that I really am me and that all the documents are connected and I still can't change my phone number to allow SMS notification on my internet banking.

Thainess!

Ever since the compliance departments started ruling the banks, each and everyone that I have an account with requests an updated ID every now and then. Nothing unusual, nothing to do with taxes (unless maybe if you have something to hide.)

Perhaps they just want to know you are still alive or that you are you. I have a small Canadian pension and every couple of years I have to fill in a paper. Last year, same with the English pension people. It is to prove that I am alive and someone is not frauduently using my accounts etc. Also last year, my bank (I have been a customer for over 40 years), called me in. All to show that I was alive. I was actually their oldest customer (not in age) and I had to 'enroll' all over again. I must be their newest now.

Actually I wouldn't mess around with banks, they have such a nasty way of being nasty.

Edited by Gillyflower

Because, unless the bank issued some kind of ultimatum along with the request, I have no good reason to comply.

One good reason might be that they are holding your money.

That's what they are supposed to do. They're not doing it as some sort of favor, and it's not a good reason to burden your customer with vague, mysterious requests.

Edited by attrayant

You are entitled to a correct explanation of why you are required to "report" to the Bank. Ask them to send you a letter in English the precise reason this is necessary and exactly what they need from you.

Some years ago one of the major Thai banks here, without informing me, changed my savings account status to a foreign owned account earning very low interest. I found out about it by a rough calculation of the interest due over the previous 6-months. Since I have lived here for many years I objected and requested they reinstate the account so that I get the same interest as a Thai. They hummed and haad about it so I went next door to another bank and opened an account paying the local interest, no problem. When I went back to the first bank they told me they would revert my account but they could not refund the previous interest. I immediately closed my account and removed the funds to the bank next door.

IMO, do not stand for any nonsense - ask them to get someone at Head Office who speaks English to phone you to explain exactly why they want to see your passport.

Incidentally, I have just recently opened a new savings account with another local bank. They only took a photocopy of the main page in my passport, not the visa page, and a copy of the Tabian Bahn. 2.6% pa interest, withdrawals 4 times a month.

What bank give you 2.6% and allows 4 monthly withdraws?

Why didn't you ask when you talked on the phone with them ??

Language problems. I did ask, and the person couldn't explain in English what was needed.

(In fact, the whole 'phone call was rather amateurish. The person who actually 'phoned me couldn't speak any English at all, and I had to hold whilst he found someone who spoke a little.)

One time around 3 to 4 months ago my Thai wife took a call from a Thai person saying they represented Bangkok Bank which we have accounts at and that "I" need to provide some passport and account info otherwise our accounts would be frozen by the govt. The passport they had on file for me was a fairly new and I gave that new/renewed passport info to Bangkok Bank late last year...even had a ibanking problem right after giving them the new passport number as the bank clerk updating their system made a typo in entering the new passport number...and one branch did a new passbook wrong...what a pain due to some bank clerk typos but that got fixed over 10 days or so.

Now the wife took this call downstairs while I was still asleep upstairs...the wife comes tells me what they said and I started to ask the wife a few questions about more details in what they said, but she just couldn't answer them...like did they leave a phone number to call back to...typical for my dear wife...but she hadn't given any info to the person calling.

Now with all the FATCA scaremongering going on ThaiVisa a few months ago and since several years back I had got a letter in the mail from Bangkok Bank saying I needed to come in an open a Direct Deposit account for a U.S. govt pension payment or the which I had going to a regular savings account and that letter did say the latest incoming payment was on hold...and after 30 days if I didn't come in to open the Direct Deposit account for this pension payment (which I did) the funds would be sent back to the U.S. govt., I thought to myself maybe the call the wife just took was indeed from Bangkok Bank.

So, we called the Bangkok Bank Customer Assistance number at 1333 later that morning, we got someone who spoke very good English and the wife explained what the caller said to her, and the Call Center fep said it was a scam call. She even looked at out accounts and said none of the accounts had any pending actions, holds, requests for info/docs, etc., against them. It's been months and months since that scam call...I continue to use my Bangkok Bank debit card and ibanking no problem, have done at least a half dozen transactions "at branches" with no problems. So even if the Bangkok Bank Call Center rep was wrong in saying it was a scam, nothing negative has happened bank account-wise...it's Ops-Normal. Summary: it was a scam call.

Like the Bangkok Bank customer rep said, it was just a scam call. Below is quote partial quote from a Bangkok Bank webpage talking Frauds and Scams which talks various ways scams can occur via Call, SMS, etc.

Protect yourself against call fraud

The bank is seeing an increase in attempted scams whereby customers are phoned by people falsely claiming to be officers of Bangkok Bank or a government entity in an attempt to extract their personal banking information....

However, the call AyG got and ensuing discussion he had with them seems to indicate his call may have indeed been from the bank since they wanted him to "bring in" a copy of his passport to the bank....they didn't want any passport/personal info over the phone. That doesn't sound like a scammer calling. But when you have two people trying to communicate to each other when neither knows the other's language very well a lot of miss-communications can occur....and when someone don't fully understand the other there is the human tendency to start thinking the "worst" when in fact its something completely different and not bad at all.

Edited by Pib

Because, unless the bank issued some kind of ultimatum along with the request, I have no good reason to comply.

That's what they are supposed to do. They're not doing it as some sort of favor, and it's not a good reason to burden your customer with vague, mysterious requests.

That is NOT what they are supposed to do.

There is absolutely no legal obligation for a bank to open an account for you and accept your deposits.

Banks are under a legal obligation to verify the identification of their customers.

The OP was simply asked to go and show his passport at his bank, suddenly this is blown up to be a whole conspiracy, and the tone of most of the advice is, "don't go" and "ranting at bank employees".

Really, why do people try to make things so difficult?

• Like 2

Some years ago one of the major Thai banks here, without informing me, changed my savings account status to a foreign owned account earning very low interest. I found out about it by a rough calculation of the interest due over the previous 6-months. Since I have lived here for many years I objected and requested they reinstate the account so that I get the same interest as a Thai. They hummed and haad about it so I went next door to another bank and opened an account paying the local interest, no problem. When I went back to the first bank they told me they would revert my account but they could not refund the previous interest. I immediately closed my account and removed the funds to the bank next door.

IMO, do not stand for any nonsense - ask them to get someone at Head Office who speaks English to phone you to explain exactly why they want to see your passport.

Incidentally, I have just recently opened a new savings account with another local bank. They only took a photocopy of the main page in my passport, not the visa page, and a copy of the Tabian Bahn. 2.6% pa interest, withdrawals 4 times a month.

Suspect this may be the issue - interest payment - they need to verify your status but local bank branch would not have a clue what it was all about - only that they are tasked to obtain a copy of your current visa/extension allowing stay in Thailand. I would just do as requested when you have a chance. But if really upset you are free to close account - but probably not worth the bother if just a show of document - banks everywhere are free to ask and change requirements; and often do so.

That is NOT what they are supposed to do.

Yes it is. Banks are a business. They have an agreement with their customers whereby the bank holds into the customer's money and in return provides certain services.

There is absolutely no legal obligation for a bank to open an account for you and accept your deposits.

Can you show where I said any such thing?

Banks are under a legal obligation to verify the identification of their customers.

Which they do when you open your account, and again whenever you come into a branch and ask for access to said account. Just calling up customers out of the blue and asking them to jump through some hoops - again, without a good reason, is something neither require nor appreciate from a business that is supposed to be providing me a service.

Suspect this may be the issue - interest payment - they need to verify your status but local bank branch would not have a clue what it was all about - only that they are tasked to obtain a copy of your current visa/extension allowing stay in Thailand. I would just do as requested when you have a chance. But if really upset you are free to close account - but probably not worth the bother if just a show of document - banks everywhere are free to ask and change requirements; and often do so.

Could very well be because when you open a Thai bank account you get coded as either Resident (living in Thailand most of the time) or a Non-Resident (not living much in Thailand). A lot depends on the type of visa/extension of stay you have (i.e., like a 12 month or 3 month type visa) and other factors.

On may types of accounts it makes no difference on the interest rec'd...you get the same level of interest as a Thai citizen gets. However on a "regular" savings account like most Thai and farangs get if you get classified as non-resident you earn zero interest. For example take a look at this 20 Aug 14 cut and paste from the Bangkok Bank Deposit Interest webpage. Notice how the regular savings account interest is 0.5% but for a "Non-resident" it's zero percent.

post-55970-0-22151500-1409284793_thumb.j

The OP reads like the call ended right after the request was made. OP: did you not have a chance to ask the caller why the request is being made, and to point out that your passport is the same today as it was when they photocopied it ten years ago? Without answers to these questions, the bank is just wasting your time.

It wasn't a short telephone call. The first two employees didn't speak any English, so I had to ask what exactly they wanted in Thai. (And my Thai is pretty good.) They couldn't explain. The third spoke some English, but again couldn't explain exactly what was required or why. (The major sticking point in both languages was that the staff concerned couldn't actually give the exact name, in Thai or English, of precisely what document they required.) I pointed out that I have lived in Thailand for more than 10 years and never been asked to produce my passport, other than to open an account or make a withdrawal. I also pointed out that no other bank has ever asked me to produce my passport without a good reason. (I'm rather grumpy like that.)

The impression I got was that the branch had received some instruction from Head Office to verify something or other, and the local staff didn't understand. (I don't live in an area with many foreigners, so staff aren't used to dealing with them and their issues.)

from reading your comments a above,, and assuming your passport is still valid, I would go over to the branch and close all the accounts you have there, since no one at the branch or on the phone can give you a valid reason for this.

Of course basically here your passport is your primary ID. A Thai Driving Licence helps, as does a Yellow Book.

I can see no reason to provide a bank with any information unless that information, eg. new passport and number, or new address has changed. In which case it would be obvious so to do.

Of course as a citizen of the US, UK or wherever it is incumbent on you to declare income to IRS or HMRC or wherever

I do find it pretty unpleasant that these organisations can so interfere with the banking system of another country as to 'require' them to document information from people banking in their country! Does Switzerland comply? The Thai banks and other should tell them to push off

rolleyes.gif I would hardly say "ordered". but on occasions in the last 10 years or so I have been asked politely to show my passport to verify identification by the Bangkok Bank when presenting my bank book for a transaction.

Usually they just glance at the picture and I/D. info on that page and then say thank you, sir as they hand it back to me.

It seems to be when I buy foreign currency for Thai Baht.....especially if the Dollar amount I buy is over one thousand Dollars.

Once I brought $4500 with me (in cash) from the U.S., and they wanted to see my passport before they accepted it for deposit to my account.

I assumed it was for reporting purposes, as Bangkok Bank has signed the agreement with the U.S. government to comply with U.S. laws to pas on such information to for U.S. citizens with Bangkok Bank accounts to the U.S. now.

Never bothered me, I am FATCA compliant anyhow ...... and I have reported my foreign bank account (only one, my retirement account) over 10,000 dollars as required.

Do not listen to all the soothsayers,

Just pop back in & show them.

My banks take a copy on every withdrawal & ask me to sign it.

No problem, they are only protecting my money.

As for the person who says he withdraws monies from a teller without showing his passport,

Change banks quickly

• Like 1

This is insane.

What's wrong with visiting your bank, saying hi, making new friends, flirting with the teller and at the same time giving them what they've requested in the first place?

Unless OP is a criminal or unable to substantiate the requirement to keep the account open, the amount of energy expended moaning about this situation, in true TV fashion, has greatly exceeded the amount of energy to actually get things done.

• Like 2