Nigerian man, Thai woman arrested for online fraud

webfact

Nigerian man, Thai woman arrested for online fraud
By Digital Content

14092184184440.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 28 -- Police from the Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD) arrested Nigerian Stanley Onyekwere and Thai Anchulee Siriwong at their rented room in Bangkok's Bueng Kum district as their gang had used emails to lure a Taiwanese steel company into transferring about Bt4.6 million baht to their bank accounts.

The suspects admitted to the fraud and identified many accomplices.

Police carried a court warrant to make the arrest and are hunting other accomplices.

TCSD Commander Pol Maj Gen Siripong Timula warned business operators to verify information before making any financial transaction with an online business partner. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-08-28

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two held for e-mail fraud
The Nation

30242026-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- A Nigerian man and his alleged Thai accomplice were held for e-mail fraud, accused of duping a Taiwanese firm into wiring Bt4.6 million.

The Technology Crime Suppression Division commander, Pol Maj-General Siripong Timula, presented Stanley Onyaewae, 27, and Anchulee Siriwong, 34, along with a computer notebook, three mobile phones and a tablet computer to the press yesterday.

He said the suspects, nabbed at an apartment in Bangkok's Bueng Kum district on Tuesday, had allegedly joined other Nigerian gangsters to create an e-mail address similar to that of a Thai construction company to trick its Taiwanese client to wire Bt4.6 million for metal joints to Anchulee's bank account in April.

The woman reportedly confessed that she was asked by the gang to open the account in exchange for a 5-per-cent share of the amount wired. Siripong urged businesses that contacted clients via e-mail to check messages regularly, put in place a firewall and create more than two ways to contact clients, so as to prevent fraud.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Two-held-for-e-mail-fraud-30242026.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-29

These b'stard giving Nigerians a bad name...

Thank God mine's legit - His Highness Major General The Reverend Professor Prince Ombuku emailed me only today, to let me know my ATM card loaded with $20M will be in the post as soon as he receives my Western Union.

Prince Ombuku is a generous guy, giving a way $20M to every person on this planet with an email address.

I don't understand how people can fall for those scams.

By the way, I am temporarily in trouble because Yahoo is still working on my email account that was about to be suspended, but as soon as the technical support team has done the necessary maintenance tasks for which they needed my password, I will be able to contact my foreign Attorney representative in Benin Republic to make him pay for my Russian online bride's flight ticket with some of the money I won with the Microsoft Email Lottery International as they must have received my payment for their security keeping fee by now!

In the meanwhile, if someone could help me with the payment of my recently rejected tax transfer, it would be much appreciated. Thanks! tongue.pngwink.png

Edited by GuyL
  • Like 2

In my pre LOS working life I occasionaly came into contact with police investigating financial fraud cases. You may notice that many Nigerian surnames begin and end with a vowel, as in this particular post. I was surprised to learn from a Fraud Squad officer in the 1980s that several large banks had set up computer programmes to monitor 'unusual' transactions on all customer accounts holding a surname beginning and ending with a vowel. These 'unusual' transactions were reported to the police by the banks in order to highlight possible money laundering and drug dealing sources. Nowadays internet crime has evolved and and the felons have moved with the times.

This scam most likely is a repeat of another similar one. They infiltrate the email account of a local business that is already doing business with Taiwan, needing a hacker or an inside person, the Thai. They redirect emails and see the pattern of any payments requested and made. Then a payment request is made and they simply provide a new account number.

Wow fraud.....I guess these two will be heading for the Thai-Visa death squad then...........coffee1.gif

"a Taiwanese steel company into transferring about Bt4.6 million baht to their bank accounts."

Really -- I think someone should also be talking to the accountant that signs the cheq for that company----wub.png