Problems with Tourist visa in Vientiane Laos

A friend/neighbor came back from Vientiane last week. After a visa run. He got his Tourist visa but also two stamps in his passport:

1. The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under a tourist visa several times which may result in the refusal of a visa in the future.

2. Proofs of Residence and financial income are required next time.

He is from Denmark 30 years. Have been staying here about 3 years on Tourist visas and a couple of visa exemptions.

What's his best option ??? He like to stay here a couple years more.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khuneric

He is from Denmark 30 years. Have been staying here about 3 years on Tourist visas and a couple of visa exemptions.

You provided the answer yourself

It is now being clamped down on.

Actually those stamps from Vientiane are nothing new. I can recall reports of them being done long ago.

There has is no "clamp down" on tourist visas,

• Like 2

UJ

No intention of questioning your undoubted knowledge on all things Visa.

For me, the operative words are :

30 years old. staying here for 3 years on Tourist Visa's.

Hardly the definition of tourist IMO.

• Like 1

UJ

But they gave him another tourist visa at the embassy even if they could see the old ones. And the immigration at the border just let him come in without even asking a question........

Getting married.

Probably cheaper to buy the 5 year visa/elite card

Why do people persist with coming up with this elite option which is beyond 90% of Tourists and the other 10% need their heads examining for being lazy and wasting 500,000 Baht minimum.

Because they are asking and by there actions they appear to not be here as tourists so should be able to afford the expense required to stay legally. It is an option like any other and offered for those not aware of it.

• Like 1

It's helpful when he have a Thai Bank Account. Show the embassy copies of the bank book were they can see, money comes in, money comes out. Then show them a copy of your rental contract or hotel bill. Problem solved.

UJ

I think I was replying to your post about a "clamp down".

I do not make any judgement about whether a person is a tourist or not. That argument has been going on for many years as to what a tourist is. There is no clear definition of it.

Getting married.

Why do people persist with coming up with this elite option which is beyond 90% of Tourists and the other 10% need their heads examining for being lazy and wasting 500,000 Baht minimum.

So can you suggest another visa option for him? And one that is 500k cheaper and still let him stay 5 years? I'm rather sure it's impossible. Especially when you say wasting all 500k..............yes he could probably study for 5 years. But that would cost a lot of money also.

Getting married.

So can you suggest another visa option for him? And one that is 500k cheaper and still let him stay 5 years? I'm rather sure it's impossible. Especially when you say wasting all 500k..............yes he could probably study for 5 years. But that would cost a lot of money also.

Khuneric

If your friend deems it expensive to study here. It begs the question, how has he been supporting himself for the past 3 years ?

His passport has been stamped and I would suggest that he starts making plans to return to his home Country and get a job.

Not what your friend wants to hear, but its time he faced reality.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Getting married.

Go for the 20 year one, you'll still come out better after 5 years.........................coffee1.gif

tongue.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

2. Proofs of Residence and financial income are required next time.

why would he have proof of residency if he s a tourist? or just a hotel booking

How do u supply income requirements? a home country atm card?

They want proof that he lives in Denmark, and has an income from Denmark.

Else he isn't a tourist (which we all know he isn't from the OP).

Perfectly reasonable IMHO.

"why would he have proof of residency if he s a tourist? or just a hotel booking"

Yes, I would assume if he proved he was residing in Thailand that would be counterproductive for someone trying to get a tourist visa. Presumably they are looking for proof that he has established roots outside of Thailand to which he will eventually return after being a "tourist" for years and years.

Edited by Suradit69

i have a retirement extension here

BUT if need be could show i hold residency in the states ( CA drivers license, bank account, atm card)

would assume more than 85% of anyone in Thailand ( long term or short term) 30 day visa exempt, 30 years living /working

they have connections with their home country still

Still bets bet for long term stay is to study an it does not need be Thai

extra $25-30,000 baht/year

Only 30 years old and has money to be tourist for 5 years must have large assets at home.

Assuming he is working, why can't he get a work permit for his job?

Border control is correct. Very unlikely to be tourist. But true of many people

To be able to work more than 4 years as a high school teacher I am forced to get a master's degree in education costing around 25,000 baht over 2 years.

i have a retirement extension here

BUT if need be could show i hold residency in the states ( CA drivers license, bank account, atm card)

would assume more than 85% of anyone in Thailand ( long term or short term) 30 day visa exempt, 30 years living /working

they have connections with their home country still

Still bets bet for long term stay is to study an it does not need be Thai

extra $25-30,000 baht/year

He wanted a tourist VISA

Not a retirement VISA

People wanting a tourist VISA need to provide proof they normally live outside Thailand.

People wanting a retirement VISA are required to produce an address in Thailand.

This isn't brain surgery &lt;deleted&gt;!

• Like 1