Problems with Tourist visa in Vientiane Laos

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 30 years old and has money to be tourist for 5 years must have large assets at home.

Assuming he is working, why can't he get a work permit for his job?

Or working online/offshore, which is not illegal and doesn't require a work permit.

Only 30 years old and has money to be tourist for 5 years must have large assets at home.

Or working online/offshore, which is not illegal and doesn't require a work permit.

If he was working offshore, the chances are that he would not need Tourist Visa's for the last 3 years.

If he was working offshore, he would not think that an ED Visa was expensive.

So I wonder how he has been supporting himself for the past 3 years, want to have a guess ?

If he was working offshore, the chances are that he would not need Tourist Visa's for the last 3 years.

So I wonder how he has been supporting himself for the past 3 years, want to have a guess ?

Gigolo?

Plenty of offshore workers use tourist visas if they don't mind taking trips to other countries, or like doing so. Or they want to learn Thai by talking to locals instead of sitting in a class.

Since when does choosing a cheaper option for something mean someone has less money or can't support themselves? Wealthy people can be quite frugal with their money. Do you deliberately choose the most expensive option in all avenues of life?

This is one of the lowest cost countries in the world to live in, no need to speculate on how someone can support themselves here for 3 years.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 2

Getting married.

Probably cheaper to buy the 5 year visa/elite card

Why do people persist with coming up with this elite option which is beyond 90% of Tourists and the other 10% need their heads examining for being lazy and wasting 500,000 Baht minimum.

That was a joooke, do you need it explained ?

i have a retirement extension here

BUT if need be could show i hold residency in the states ( CA drivers license, bank account, atm card)

would assume more than 85% of anyone in Thailand ( long term or short term) 30 day visa exempt, 30 years living /working

they have connections with their home country still

Still bets bet for long term stay is to study an it does not need be Thai

extra $25-30,000 baht/year

He wanted a tourist VISA

Not a retirement VISA

People wanting a tourist VISA need to provide proof they normally live outside Thailand.

People wanting a retirement VISA are required to produce an address in Thailand.

This isn't brain surgery <deleted>!

You dont get it,

i was saying that 85% of all people here in Thailand still have ties to their own countries

I can show a address for the states as i am sure 100% of people on tourist visas can

Basically its very easy to prove Thailand is not ur home

I have been outside my own country for over 32 years YET can still show it as my home country

I'm new here but I'd have to agree. Isn't the whole point they want to make sure that he actually resides somewhere else and gets a regular income from somewhere else? How could proving you reside in thailand with a thai bank account help the cause?

The regualar tourist shouldn't have a Thai address or bank account. What am I missing?

You are trying to applying a strict logic that doesn't belong to these cases. The consulate is more pragmatical, just asking to know where and how one is staying and by which means, so they can continue issuing visas, making you stay at least legal. Otherwise some people would just stop bother getting a visa at all.

Have you have heard of "having money" ?

For most families in Denmark supporting a son In Thailand is four times cheaper than doing the same in their country or in Europe.

• Like 2

Agreed.

It's usually trotted out by those who think that, if one is under 50 years of age, not married to a local and not in possession of a work permit, the ability to drop 500K on the elite card somehow makes one "worthy" enough to stay here.

Never mind. No one takes much notice of them

Nothing to do with being worthy to stay, but it is an option to stay legally.

Have you have heard of "having money" ?

For most families in Denmark supporting a son In Thailand is four times cheaper than doing the same in their country or in Europe.

Paz

In case you didn't read it right, he is 30 years old and has been here 3 years. He is looking for options to stay here further, but thinks that that the ED route is expensive.

If he thinks that the ED route is expensive, he does NOT have money.

He is probably working as an online nomad like so many young people these days and want to stay in Thailand for as long as possible. So only option for them are tourist, ED visa or getting married.

Plenty of offshore workers use tourist visas if they don't mind taking trips to other countries, or like doing so. Or they want to learn Thai by talking to locals instead of sitting in a class.

Since when does choosing a cheaper option for something mean someone has less money or can't support themselves? Wealthy people can be quite frugal with their money. Do you deliberately choose the most expensive option in all avenues of life?

This is one of the lowest cost countries in the world to live in, no need to speculate on how someone can support themselves here for 3 years.

JSpill

I will await with bated breath for some offshore workers to back up your claim. Whilst we are waiting, all the OS workers that I know, including myself, use VE entries, or have Non Imm O by reason of marriage or retirement. I have never met one yet that uses TV's.

He was asking for cheaper options than the ED route. Sorry, does it get much cheaper ??

I know, I live here. If he was some kind of whizzkid, he would not be looking for cheaper options than an ED Visa.

Although I believe Thailand is profiting from people doing visa run, I would bet over 90% of people on tourist visa over 1 year are not truly tourist.

Over 90 % of people on educational visa to study thai language 4 hours a week are not serious about learning thai but use the visa to remain in Thailand for other purpose.

Possibly bringing benefit to Thailand but not tourist

People wanting a tourist VISA need to provide proof they normally live outside Thailand.

False.

I'm no expert, but I would be stunned, if I rocked up looking for a TV, and then showed an address in Thailand, and they actually gave it to me?

I think the interpretation of an address OUTSIDE Thailand is correct, that would prove, to the consular/embassy staff that you were not, indeed living in Thailand.... makes sense to me...

In case you didn't read it right, he is 30 years old and has been here 3 years. He is looking for options to stay here further, but thinks that that the ED route is expensive.

Better said, not much money or not inclined to spend. Many people are like that.

The money for one year of "ED" school, can pay six months of a cheap room.

I'm no expert, but I would be stunned, if I rocked up looking for a TV, and then showed an address in Thailand, and they actually gave it to me?

I think the interpretation of an address OUTSIDE Thailand is correct, that would prove, to the consular/embassy staff that you were not, indeed living in Thailand.... makes sense to me...

Again, wrong logic. Consulate wants to know an address in Thailand, as long is not "sleep on the beach".

• Like 1

He was asking for cheaper options than the ED route. Sorry, does it get much cheaper ??

I know, I live here. If he was some kind of whizzkid, he would not be looking for cheaper options than an ED Visa.

So you can't be a wealthy whizzkid and thrifty with money? Maybe he doesn't live near an accredited language school? Doesn't want a commute to school to sit in classes with other expats? Is self-taught? Lives near a border? Divides his time between Thailand and other countries? Likes Laos?

In my case I'm an offshore worker, speak Thai above the level any class could get me to (the tuition is very basic) simply from having had a Thai girlfriend, and enjoy trips to Laos to visit friends, mix things up and get certain things there I can't get in Thailand.

• Like 1

Better said, not much money or not inclined to spend. Many people are like that.

The money for one year of "ED" school, can pay six months of a cheap room.

Quality answer, what more can I say.

Again, wrong logic. Consulate wants to know an address in Thailand, as long is not "sleep on the beach".

I have had heaps of TV's from various countries to Thailand, and have NEVER been asked to provide a Thai Address... always an address in Aus is what I have always put on the form.... *shrug*

So you can't be a wealthy whizzkid and thrifty with money? Maybe he doesn't live near an accredited language school? Doesn't want a commute to school to sit in classes with other expats? Is self-taught? Lives near a border? Divides his time between Thailand and other countries? Likes Laos?

In my case I'm an offshore worker, speak Thai above the level any class could get me to (the tuition is very basic) simply from having had a Thai girlfriend, and enjoy trips to Laos to visit friends, mix things up and get certain things there I can't get in Thailand.

Good for you, I'm so happy for you.

From the OP " Living in Thailand for the past 3 years on TV's and a couple of VE's " So your argument is moot.

Nice of you to quote only part of my reply. Says all I need to know about you.

I'm still not understanding this, can someone post the actual form or question? Why on earth would would they ask for a TH address when you are pretending to be a tourist? What would you show them? Your hotel acomodations?

I'm still not understanding this, can someone post the actual form or question? Why on earth would would they ask for a TH address when you are pretending to be a tourist? What would you show them? Your hotel acomodations?

No need to pretend anything, strict definitions are out of place.

For example, one can own a condo in Thailand, go to the consulate in Laos, show that he lives there, and obtain a tourist visa. That is their policy on which they have complete discretion, just like any other Thai embassy or consulate in the word.

If you don't agree that is correct or logic complain to Minister of Foreign Affairs in Thailand and let us know their answer.

• Like 1

Do they only care about this when you are trying to do back to back land crossing stays ? I'm planning on doing 60 days Thailand, 60 Days PH with a TV (double entry) from Manila how many times before I get a red stamp? I'll be out of the country around 2 months between every entry. I don't have a condo, so how would I prove my Thailand residence?

False.

Everything is black & white for you people, isn't it?

If it doesn't fit into the little pigeon holes your minds construct, it MUST be dodgy.

Well get your head around this one, detective

Guy with double entry tourist visa wants to activate second entry.

Is he really expected to present a 3 month-long hotel reservation when at the border or is it more likely that he'd have a condo or serviced apartment which far, far cheaper

• Like 2