Problems with Tourist visa in Vientiane Laos

Wish I was successful enough at age 24 to live in Thailand for 6 years without earning additional income but the less than 2000 baht per month for educational visa is too expensive.

Hard to imagine at age 24 essentially retired and not working for 5 years

Who are you talking about? And what has this comment to do with the person in this thread? He is not 24 or came here when he was 24. He have not been living here 6 years. And not telling us that an ED visa is too expensive. Are you drunk or what?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Thailand does not want long time tourist with no money to spend.

Every country enjoys tourist dollars.

Possible to rent an 8000 baht apartment and share with 3 people and eat for 100 baht a day but probably not beneficial to Thailand

Then they probably like him. Because he spends money. If you share a cheap 8k apartment with your 3 friends has nothing to do with him.

It is quite simple, he is being warned, your getting close to mark and could be refused at some stage. By the way this is regardless of having income and hotel booking. As always it is up to the discretion of the consulate or the border immigration people. A visa does not gaurantee entry.

Having a Thai bank account would add suspicion that you are not a tourist.

I was told in Vientianne that a rulle of thumb for tourists is nine months in any year, not sure if this is interpretation or law.

The rule of thumb can not be nine months on Tourist visas for the embassy in Vientiane. If so they would not give him visas for 3 years.

I actually don't think that my own pattern of stays in Thailand is that likely to arouse any suspicion, but the immigration regime being as capricious as it is now, I plan to carry electronic copies of documents from now on showing where my income is from and where my real residence is, and just avoid the business of obtaining visas anywhere but in my home country, not because I consider these things requirements, but just in an attempt to adapt to things the way they are in Thailand. I've only ever done a couple of border runs, but I'll not be doing those anymore either.

2. Proofs of Residence and financial income are required next time.

why would he have proof of residency if he s a tourist? or just a hotel booking

How do u supply income requirements? a home country atm card?

An income letter could come from the Danish Embassy in Bangkok, a letter from his bank or a bank statement. I would also suggest keeping all the receipts from his ATM withdrawals.

Have you have heard of "having money" ?

For most families in Denmark supporting a son In Thailand is four times cheaper than doing the same in their country or in Europe.

Paz

In case you didn't read it right, he is 30 years old and has been here 3 years. He is looking for options to stay here further, but thinks that that the ED route is expensive.

If he thinks that the ED route is expensive, he does NOT have money.

You have been writing this in many posts. How do you know that he think an ED visa is expensive ? I don't know it, so how can you know it?

And how can you say he does not have money? You know nothing about him or his money. Of course he have money. How could he stay here without working if no money?

Khuneric

As you are posting on behalf of your friend. This is what you previously posted:

So can you suggest another visa option for him? And one that is 500k cheaper and still let him stay 5 years? I'm rather sure it's impossible. Especially when you say wasting all 500k..............yes he could probably study for 5 years. But that would cost a lot of money also.

Let me spell it out for you.

1. He is looking for an option that is 500k cheaper than a TE Card, ie zilch.

2. He considers 25 - 30k a year for an ED visa is a lot of money.

Edited by ubonjoe
A inflammatory comment has been remoded

The problem here is the options for people like this:

1. Elite Card - Too expensive unless you have deep pockets and know you definitely will stay at least 5 years for it to be worth it. Anything less, then it becomes even more expensive. Would be better [but not by much] if they offered it at 100,000 baht per year.

2. Get married - Not to a thai and not in this lifetime!! Why be a provider for someone and their extended family, when all you want to do is enjoy life free and easy??

3. ED Visa - Fair enough if your willing to put in the time and effort at a cost mind you. Again 30,000 baht and probably do something you really don't want just to stay here?? And what about those who like to stay here 2 -3 months, then go back home for 2 months them repeat and rinse ??? Are you really going to be motivated to keep up classes??

4. Investment - Minimum 10 million baht. Again, not viable for 95% of wanna-be expats.

Only option left.. Tourist visa until you hit 50.

There are many legit foreigners here that don't or can't go with the above options, that don't take lowly paid thai jobs [who in their right mind from the west would want to work for 20k] but only contribute to the community.

No, they don't meet the criteria for an extended (non-touristy) stay in Thailand and are not legit.

It seems fairly simple to me: don't meet the criteria, either try to bend the rules to your advantage (many people have been doing this for years and years, but that is becoming increasingly difficult), stay legally (yes, not always easy) or move on.

But stop moaning 'I have bent the rules for years and years but now they won't let me anymore'. That is the same kind of moaning beach encroachers, taxis, tuktuks' etc. are using: for years we could do this, now we can't. And everybody is happy when a tuktuk driver gets caught on that, so bare the consequences of your own previous actions as well.

• Like 1

People always talk about stopping corruption that does not benefit them but enjoy corruption that benefits them.

Most people are happy can give police money instead of more expensive more trouble ticket.

People yell stop corruption but now enforcement of laws is causing many people problems.

If laws are consistent and enforced then most people will take regulations seriously and comply.

Maybe I missed something but was getting a job with a work permit not an option?

A lot of discussion about cheapest method.

A legal job increases money.

Yes job is an option. But I belive it's rather difficult to get a legal job for a man from a non native English speaking country.

I thought that you really say that the Elite visa is expensive only...

Elite visa 500k per 5 year

The ED visa is just 25-30k per year I don't know where is 17k blink.png

Live in two countries Thai-Vietnam on tourist visas is a bit more expensive than live just in only one

Other options should be contact a "thai fixer" wherever that what means (search in the forum) maybe they can do something in the thai style...

I thought that you really say that the Elite visa is expensive only...

Elite visa 500k per 5 year

Live in two countries Thai-Vietnam on tourist visas is a bit more expensive than live just in only one

Other options should be contact a "thai fixer" wherever that what means (search in the forum) maybe they can do something in the thai style...

You can get an ED visa for even less than that.......

And then it's impossible to extend it, like in the case of someone that wrote about it here.

That may have indeed been one case. But the school I attend is quite cheap, has dozens of students, and no one ever has a problem extending their stay.

Edited by inbangkok

And then it's impossible to extend it, like in the case of someone that wrote about it here.

That may have indeed been one case. But the school I attend is quite cheap, has dozens of students, and no one ever has a problem extending their stay.

What school is that, if I may ask?

I've seen schools where the tuition is 17k, that doesn't count the cost of the visas, laos trip, extensions etc. though

lREAhV9.png

http://www.academy4hope.com/course/thai-language-course/

Edited by jspill

What school is that, if I may ask?

I've seen schools where the tuition is 17k, that doesn't count the cost of the visas, laos trip, extensions etc. though

lREAhV9.png

http://www.academy4hope.com/course/thai-language-course/

Of course....you are correct on that. The Visa, trip and extensions are not included. Not everyone has to pay for Visas though. I think South Koreans get ED Visas for free. I am American and had to pay 2,000. But as far as I know, the schools that charge 25-30 don't include any of that either.

Edited by inbangkok

Of course....you are correct on that. The Visa, trip and extensions are not included. Not everyone has to pay for Visas though. I think South Koreans get ED Visas for free. I am American and had to pay 2,000. But as far as I know, the schools that charge 25-30 don't include any of that either.

Right, they don't.

That school with the 17k promo not look bad at all, my school was 28k without ED visa and 30k including visa for 200h per year, but that not include any visa fee or trip or nothing.
I guess the 2000 is for all the paper work related to the ED visa.

In penang the cost for the ED visa is 220 RM around 2200 baht

the agent 40 RM

Plus trip-accomodation and food for 3 or 4 days

An income letter could come from the Danish Embassy in Bangkok, a letter from his bank or a bank statement. I would also suggest keeping all the receipts from his ATM withdrawals.

"proof of residency" as in, NOT in Thailand maybe...

As mentioned before many times, proof or residency in Thailand is required, no matter how illogical the experts here think it is.

• Like 1

As mentioned before many times, proof or residency in Thailand is required, no matter how illogical the experts here think it is.

Well, that can only be some kind of hotel or guest house reservation, or perhaps a rental contract, right? I sure don't think I'd want to be providing as "proof of residence" (for a Tourist Visa) some kind of deed or extended lease agreement!

The visa application form asks for an address in five places:

1. Current Address
  2. Permanent Address(if different from above)
  3. Proposed Address in Thailand
  4. Name and Address of Local Guarantor
  5. Name and Address of Guarantor in Thailand

4 and 5 can usually be left blank or filled with "self"

"Proofs of residence" seems a poor choice of words. If the OP's friend had asked what the consulate wants, he would probably have been told that it is a hotel reservation or other document indicatiing where he will stay in Thailand.

I have already replied to the same question 5-6 times if you have been reading the thread. The stamp in his passport say:

Proof of Residence in Thailand

Edited by khunerik
  • Like 1

Maybe I missed something but was getting a job with a work permit not an option?

A lot of discussion about cheapest method.

A legal job increases money.

Yes job is an option. But I belive it's rather difficult to get a legal job for a man from a non native English speaking country.

First I'm from Denmark to.

Erik, you have to options

1. Travel back to Denmark, and go the the consulate in hvisesande. Danish people can get non o multiply 90 days so he can stay here 15. Months. We can do this in Denmark cause our consulate is friend with thai royal family.

Take a copy of you yearly tax document from skat department a fly ticket and you get the visa non o multiply

2. Take a copy of you tax document and sends it to the Danish ambassade in bkk and ask for prove of income letter. Take this to Laos and apply for a new TV visa

Any problem give me a pm, and will try to help you

Edited by carstenp
  • Like 1