Nakhon Si Thammarat rubber farmer self-immolates as crop price plunges

webfact

Rubber Farmer Self-Immolates As Crop Price Plunges
By Khaosod English

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT — A rubber farmer in Nakhon Si Thammarat province committed suicide yesterday as the price of raw rubber, a staple crop for many farmers is southern Thailand, continues to plunge.

Pithakchai Kongthongkam, 31, doused his body with petrol and lit himself on fire at his home in Thoong Song district yesterday, police say.

Mr. Pithakchai's widow, Sujitra Srisawang, told police that her husband was distressed by the recent drop in the rubber prices, which threatened his livelihood as a rubber farmer.

"The price for rubber used to be at 70-80 baht per kilogram. Our family had an earning of 500-600 baht per day, enough to get by,” Ms. Sujitra said. “But in these days the rubber price dropped to only 40 baht per kilogram, which means one third of our earnings disappeared.”

Thailand is the world’s largest producer and exporter, but falling global demand has caused rubber prices to drop 24 percent this year.

Ms. Sujitra added that her husband was forced to borrow money from neighbours and employers to take care of the family. "It's likely that my husband was so stressed he decided to kill himself," Ms. Sujitra said.

However, officers at Kapang Police Station said Mr. Pithakchai was recently arrested by police and charged with drug abuse, which may have played a role in his suicide.

While the motive behind Mr. Pithakchai's suicide remains unclear, the drop in rubber prices has caused a genuine crisis for rubber farmers in southern Thailand.

Last year, southern rubber farmers protested the government at the time and requested a guaranteed price of 80-100 baht per kilogram for their crops. Although many rubber farmers supported the 22 May military coup that ousted the former government, Thailand's new military regime has not taken up their proposal either.

Instead of subsidies, the junta has promised sustained "structural" measures to solve the problem, such as providing soft loans for famers to purchase fertilizer.

However, some economists have expressed worry that the causes of the rubber price crisis may be too complicated for the military junta to understand.

"I cannot see any clear direction from the new government to solve the plunging robber price," said Withee Supithak, president of Federation of Industry of Thailand's southern division, "I am not sure how much [the military officers] will understand the problem about rubber price, because it's an issue that many previous governments tried to solve but failed."

He added, "It's a really complex issue. It will take a long time, continuity in policies, and serious enforcement to solve the problem."

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1409303035

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-08-29

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel very sorry for the death of this man, either it was from stress or drug abuse, or both.

The problem is, that because the price of rubber has gone down, worldwide, it wouldn't be the proper way for the government to subsidise the price.

Then we will see, all the rest of the farmers, or industries asking and demanding for subsidies.

It will not work and will bring the Thai economy down.

The government should advice and help the farmers to learn how to diversify.

Plant different crops, do not put all your eggs in one basket.

Too complex for me, I just don't understand how a government, a marketing board or even a private company can pay more than market price for an item or product. I would love to see all the farmers prosperous and happy, I just don't know how to make it happen without the taxpayer taking a massive hit.

some economists have expressed worry that the causes of the rubber price crisis may be too complicated for the military junta to understand.

Nonsense. This problem is nothing some more patriotic soap operas and cracking down on alcohol sales won`t solve. Add in some military music on the tv and we`re laughing.

Prayuth is my hero wub.pngwub.pngwub.pngwub.pngwub.pngwub.png

Edited by tullynagardy

Produce too much,less demand, prices have to go down.

when the prices were good everyone wanted to tap rubber,

the govt even got farmers to grow it in Isarn,where it had

never been grown before,the farmers should follow what

H.M. The King promotes,mixed farming,that way your family

will always have something to eat, and you can sell the

surplus,be it fruit,fish,veg,rice,chickens and eggs,this way

you are not left to the whims of world markets and prices,

mono crops are not the way to go for small farmers.

regards worgeordie

"The price for rubber used to be at 70-80 baht per kilogram. Our family had an earning of 500-600 baht per day, enough to get by,” Ms. Sujitra said. “But in these days the rubber price dropped to only 40 baht per kilogram, which means one third of our earnings disappeared.”

I wonder what he would have done if someone had pointed out his income was actually down by HALF, not one third!

If the farmer thought this through, instead of impulsively taking his own life, he would realize that his family will be in even worse financial straits than before and will now have to add the expense of his funeral. I consider what he did a selfish act with no thought for what would happen to his family. In most everyone's life, there are ups and downs. Suicide, unless you are clinically depressed or have other long-term mental problems, is selfish. Now, he has given up any chance of an improvement in his or his family's life.

Produce too much,less demand, prices have to go down.

when the prices were good everyone wanted to tap rubber,

the govt even got farmers to grow it in Isarn,where it had

never been grown before,the farmers should follow what

H.M. The King promotes,mixed farming,that way your family

will always have something to eat, and you can sell the

surplus,be it fruit,fish,veg,rice,chickens and eggs,this way

you are not left to the whims of world markets and prices,

mono crops are not the way to go for small farmers.

regards worgeordie

It is complete obvious....if you have a rubber farm, you can have chicken there as well. You can have a pig, which finds food itself, get the leftovers and gets some bananas, etc. With everyone has a pig there is always one who is slaughtering one and shares the meat.

You don't need any money and every Baht you get keeps in your pocket.

There still people who live like that and they are usually pretty wealthy. But when the rubber price was high everyone got crazy. Bought a new car on credit, the newest laptop and mobile phone. The food they bought in the supermarket or McDonalds.

now with the lower price they get problems

Too complex for me, I just don't understand how a government, a marketing board or even a private company can pay more than market price for an item or product. I would love to see all the farmers prosperous and happy, I just don't know how to make it happen without the taxpayer taking a massive hit.

Easy, it's called policy of appeasement and populace policy to win the hearts and mind of the biggest

voting sector of Thailand, the rice farmers, any trick in the book just to win and stay in power,

after all the money doesn't come from their own pockets, and if they get short on funds they just

raise taxes and impose new tax....

It's funny how the price of everything farmers grow and sell keeps going down.

But the prices of all farm produce for consumers keeps going up.

How does that work then?

Farmers and growers get about 1/3-1/2 of what we pay at the supermarket of fresh market,

the rest gone to several middle man hands, transportations, storage and other fees, this

is a market mechanism but here in Thailand it's pretty much open to manipulations...

Further to my previous post, if there is such a discrepancy in prices within Thailand it just points to the situation where the farmer who owns the plantation and does the work makes the least out of the product.

All the middle men are taking their profit, I'm sure they are not missing out.

There is not much clarity when the 'official' price was about 60 baht recently.

Who actually makes the money?

If ever there was proof that the markets for all agricultural products need reform in Thailand, this is it.

Very sad, and for everyone moaning that subsidies are bad, tell that to people who are on the bones of their ass, with no assistance from anyone available.

The price of rubber in Thailand is down because of the rain. The quality of the rubber deteriorates during the rainy season, because of the large amount of water in the tree. Agriculture prices are controlled by the market In the past governments have stepped in and tried to control the market, a good example would be the rice program of the previous government.

supply & demand

fair competition

those words are sadly unknown to thais

plenty of people wanted in the factories, no need to rely on crops for your income

but that means you actually have to show up for work and not watch "things" grow, drink, gamble, whore around all day

this man probably had other (mental) problems also

If ever there was proof that the markets for all agricultural products need reform in Thailand, this is it.

Very sad, and for everyone moaning that subsidies are bad, tell that to people who are on the bones of their ass, with no assistance from anyone available.

The price of rubber in Thailand is down because of the rain. The quality of the rubber deteriorates during the rainy season, because of the large amount of water in the tree. Agriculture prices are controlled by the market In the past governments have stepped in and tried to control the market, a good example would be the rice program of the previous government.

The rain is surely a factor but commodity prices are down. Japan has a surplus of rubber, the Chinese economy is slowing, supply and demand at work. Auto sales in China and the US are projected to increase this coming year, more tires needed. If oil prices decrease then production of synthetic rubber will increase and don't forget about the dandy lion theory.

The rain is surely a factor but commodity prices are down. Japan has a surplus of rubber, the Chinese economy is slowing, supply and demand at work. Auto sales in China and the US are projected to increase this coming year, more tires needed. If oil prices decrease then production of synthetic rubber will increase and don't forget about the dandy lion theory.

Supply and demand. ...the farmer has to realise that he is in a market and his product will have a variable price based on the quality of his product and market conditions.

It was the farmers decision to produce rubber...no one forced him ..why should the taxpayers subsidise him?

It's funny how the price of everything farmers grow and sell keeps going down.

But the prices of all farm produce for consumers keeps going up.

How does that work then?

Probably a bit of corruption in there somewhere--------- don't worry though the General will be round to see you in the morning

Supply and demand. ...the farmer has to realise that he is in a market and his product will have a variable price based on the quality of his product and market conditions.

It was the farmers decision to produce rubber...no one forced him ..why should the taxpayers subsidise him?

Most countries in the world have subsidies for farmers. US, EU etc. All these countries are much richer than Thailand. Why is that, maybe because of a more fair distribution of wealth.

Only 3 percent of Thais pay tax, so subsidies from taxes would only hurt very few but benefit many.

If the farmer thought this through, instead of impulsively taking his own life, he would realize that his family will be in even worse financial straits than before and will now have to add the expense of his funeral. I consider what he did a selfish act with no thought for what would happen to his family. In most everyone's life, there are ups and downs. Suicide, unless you are clinically depressed or have other long-term mental problems, is selfish. Now, he has given up any chance of an improvement in his or his family's life.

Selfish it is not... People have the right to drink, smoke, eat crap food, drive like idiots and so on and kill themselves slowly in front of others,,,,, but cannot just pass on ?

Stating he did it because he had mental illness just shows a lack of anything on your behalf. There is an old saying... "Spend a day in someone else's shoes..... " then pass judgement.... In the meantime, enjoy your latte, take your missus, gf or bf to the cinema, enjoy the day and have a good life ~sic~

Selfish it is not... People have the right to drink, smoke, eat crap food, drive like idiots and so on and kill themselves slowly in front of others,,,,, but cannot just pass on ?

Stating he did it because he had mental illness just shows a lack of anything on your behalf. There is an old saying... "Spend a day in someone else's shoes..... " then pass judgement.... In the meantime, enjoy your latte, take your missus, gf or bf to the cinema, enjoy the day and have a good life ~sic~

Do you really believe that setting fire to yourself is a sane act, even if you condone suicide? Surely he could have "passed on" without the personal pain, and leaving others to clean up his charred corpse, and the memories it would have left his family.

Should they get a discount on his cremation?

This statement is a perfect example of the 'Straw Man' argument. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man You argue against something I never stated. I NEVER said he didn't have the right to kill himself. My point was that when a man marries and fathers children, he assumes certain responsibilities to provide for same. If he does not honor his responsibilities to those he committed to, he is being selfish http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/selfish

Stating he did it because he had mental illness

What an astounding lack of reading comprehension on your part! Not once did I make reverence to the mental state of that farmer. Since I have never met him how could I possible have a clue to his mental state? How ridiculous of you you to write that I said he had a mental illness. My statement regarding mental illness and suicide was a general one. I quote myself: "Suicide, unless you are clinically depressed or have other long-term mental problems, is selfish".

Since your reading comprehension skills are so obviously limited, I will elaborate for you. I will type this very slowly, also: If the farmer did not have the excuse of being clinically depressed or have other long-term mental problems, he was thinking only of himself (the very definition of selfishness) and, despite leaving his family in the lurch, alleviated his own suffering through suicide.

Robin Williams post was all condolences...Poor Thai is selfish bstrd.

Robin Williams was known to suffer from clinical depression for which there is no cure. We have absolutely no idea about the mental state of the farmer in question. He is only selfish if he did not have mental illness, including clinical depression. When people commit suicide to escape their inner demons, I am happy for them that their endless suffering is over. I know it is hard for the ones they leave behind, but I don't want anyone to have to suffer the constant anguish that often accompanies mental illness. When people commit suicide because life is not 'going their way', I believe them to be thinking only of themselves. I have no pity for those who can't/won't endure the vicissitudes of life. We all have our ups and downs. Sane people, who are not selfish, will persevere and understand that things will most likely get better than the lows in their life. Again, it would be wrong to judge this farmer. There are a lot of 'ifs' about his mental state. There were no 'ifs' with Robin Williams. It was well known that he had been suffering for years. No comparison between the two from the information we have.

Poor Thai is selfish bstrd.

BTW, if you are under the misapprehension that I categorically stated the farmer was selfish, you have a deficit in your reading comprehension.

Robin Williams was being ripped apart by divorce settlements and a grasping wife.

Rubber farmer was being gouged by big business.

OK, not entirely different.