Any suggestions on where to find a Thai to help me practice my basic language skills ?

RichardThailand

Also if I did find one then how much do you think they would want ?

I was wondering, how about hotel staff or some of those kind of people who have some basic English skills. Does anyone have any idea if they typically would like to earn some extra money and if so how much would be reasonable?

Thanks

There is a website called languageexchange (don't think I can post the URL but you will figure it out) that I have had good luck with. You need to sort out the people who just want lovers or facebook friends but are some sincere people who want to exchange tutoring for free.

• Like 1

Basic it should be easy to find some student WHO can meet with you two or three times weekly and it will cost you 200 to 400 bath per hour + coffee/drink I guess. But the very best is if you have a Thai girlfriend you see often. What I do is to learn at least two phrases every day, if you do this you are far. Learn to Count and learn basic Words.

There is also a website called meetup.com, here is Groups for language exthange also.

BP

Most people in any country have no clue about their own native tongue. They have learnt it naturally and can't help you learn by any other means than immersion. Immersion is absolutely essential to learning any language. You can verify this by witnessing how poor spoken English is in Thailand. It's due in a large part to a lack of immersion.

You may want to consider using a professional teacher. A few hours tutelage by a professionally trained tutor will save you hundreds of hours of frustration. In order for you to control the cost of this resist the sales pitch many will offer you to buy a 60 hours course for several thousands of baht. Take it step by step. Try using a few introductory offers at several schools until you find someone who can really give you a boost.

I learnt the hard way by wasting several thousand hours that I cannot learn Thai tones aurally. I have to do it visually in order to remember them, and that means learning the Thai alphabet. YMMV.

Practicing your Thai is also a great way to meet and get to know lots of really cute Thai girls. My first Thai tutor developed into a romantic relationship of almost ten years. We were great together.

Good luck.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

Most people in any country have no clue about their own native tongue. They have learnt it naturally and can't help you learn by any other means than immersion. Immersion is absolutely essential to learning any language. You can verify this by witnessing how poor spoken English is in Thailand. It's due in a large part to a lack of immersion.

You may want to consider using a professional teacher. A few hours tutelage by a professionally trained tutor will save you hundreds of hours of frustration. In order for you to control the cost of this resist the sales pitch many will offer you to buy a 60 hours course for several thousands of baht. Take it step by step. Try using a few introductory offers at several schools until you find someone who can really give you a boost.

I learnt the hard way by wasting several thousand hours that I cannot learn Thai tones aurally. I have to do it visually in order to remember them, and that means learning the Thai alphabet. YMMV.

Practicing your Thai is also a great way to meet and get to know lots of really cute Thai girls. My first Thai tutor developed into a romantic relationship of almost ten years. We were great together.

Good luck.

Good point. First learn how to read and write Thai.

Good luck.

Good point. First learn how to read and write Thai.

It's a classic case of don't do what I did, do what I say. If the OP doesn't believe me just pose the question in the Thai language forum, or ask a mod to move this thread over there.

Learning visually can save some learners years of frustration and inability to remember (mentally mark) the tones. If one can't do the tones, one can't speak Thai. It's as simple as that.

Are you looking for someone to practice with you, or someone to teach/tutor you?

What level of Thai are you at now? e.g. Are you just putting a few sentences/phrases together? or are you able to hold a conversation for an hour or more?

And where are you living? (e.g. BKK / London etc)

• Like 1

If you are in Thailand, you might consider teaching kids...you can learn a lot from just from listening to them and they naturally have more patience on language issues than adults. Also, you will get paid -- not the other way around.

• Like 1