Homeworks - when is a "Sale" truly a sale.

ThaiBob

Went to buy some glass blocks on "sale" at Homeworks for a bathroom shower wall. Made my choice of style and colour from the "sale" items. I did not require a large quantity. They only had six (one box). I said no problem I will pay full price now and you can call me when you have the blocks in stock. No can do sir, you cannot pay sale price, we must order for you at regular price. Selected a different style, same story. I finally wound up buying the only item they had at their "sale". Only in Thailand have I seen retailers do this. The "sale" price should be honored or the "sale" signs removed from those items they do not have sufficient stock.

• Like 1

I think an ad of any kind is simply an invitation for the buyer to make an offer to buy which the seller can then accept or refuse. Some retailers may apply that general principle differently and honour their ads but whether that should apply to stocks not on hand is debatable.

I think an ad of any kind is simply an invitation for the buyer to make an offer to buy which the seller can then accept or refuse. Some retailers may apply that general principle differently and honour their ads but whether that should apply to stocks not on hand is debatable.

As far as I know EU rules stipulate that either the item must be available to order at the sale price or the ad must indicate the total number of pieces of each item available in that store at that price.

Of course EU rules have nothing to do with what happens here.

There is also the consideration of new-to-order stock being at different prices than old stock due to exchange rate fluctuations and other factors. It is not reasonable in my opinion to expect a clearance lot price on new "have to order" items.

• Like 2

Exactly, even a price tag with a price is considered as an offer, meaning it can be negotiated.

Just a brief comment, this was not a clearance sale, it was simply a promotional sale, something they advertise to get you in the store. Simply pointing out what might be the norm in Thailand is not the rule in most other countries. The big box retailers elsewhere will price match the competition advertisements, they will do everything they can for your business.