Bamboo chairs turning to sawdust

Wopanese

Does anyone know where in Chiang Mai I can buy treatment for eradicating "powder post beetles" which are destroying my bamboo furniture from the inside out? Perhaps you have had this problem, too? Any advice on how you overcame this nasty problem would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

This is a good question. I know when these items are shipped overseas they are fumigated which I assume kills these insects. Now what that fumigation entails I suppose google could help. The bamboo makers have big shacks where they smoke treat the bamboo which I believe is to kill the insects. You might locate one and ask them to re-smoke your furniture. Kind of a pain in the butt and it will smell like smoke for a bit afterward and might change the color but....it could be an option.

Maybe sticking the furniture in a closed bathroom and fogging it with some commercial bug spray. These insects do need to breathe, right?

Probably most insecticides will kill the adults and larvae. The eggs will remain. Borax least toxic to humans and may slowly kill the beetles. How to get insecticide into interior of bamboo stick? With chair maybe use large plastic bag and fumigate for hour. Repeat in one week to get hatched eggs. Hypodermic injection of liquid killer may work on tunnels. Insects don't exactly breathe as no muscles are involved. They get air/oxygen by simple air infiltration thru tiny body tubes. FYI, insects don't eat plastic so keep in mind next time at furniture shop.

I have sets of bamboo tables and chairs that we have had for 30 years and still as good as new.

Firstly, once the bamboo furniture begins to powder, than it is usually too late to save. When you see the powder it means that the furniture is already well infested and best to just burn and avoid the bugs spreading to any other bamboo furniture you may have.

The tip is: when you buy bamboo furniture from new, is to brush it over with wood vanish and once dry, go over the furniture with a clear wood preserver. Once completed the furniture will be completely protected from any forms of attacks by bugs for many years to come, plus will also preserve the wood from rotting due to atmospheric conditions, air moisture, high temperatures and so on that can also be devastating to bamboo furniture.

As far as I know, the above is the only sure method of preserving bamboo furniture and keeping in good condition.

We had problems with our bamboo ladders. I bought that spray that has a metal tube. Can't remember the name, but sprayed it into the holes. Took a few tries, but eventually, the bugs were gone and we've not had problems for years. I also sprayed all over the bamboo. Several times.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

I used to see people immersing their bamboo furniture in the sea, when living in the South--apparently this killed the powder beetles--but, you're a bit far from the sea up here--sorry.

Hey Haybilly: You are so right: - Many years ago, I came upon a very old man, living on the beach, in a very old Bamboo hut. When I told him that I was surprised at the excellent condition of his Bamboo Hut, he smiled a toothless smile and told me that the secret was to immerse the Bamboo in the salty sea-water for about 4 weeks, before starting the construction of said hut. - He went on to explain that 4 weeks in salt water was a sufficient period of time for the the salt to penetrate through the segmented-chambers inside the bamboo. Apparently this is the only sure way to prevent any type of wood-consuming little bugs from gaining an interest in this thus treated bamboo, as a possible food-source, because they certainly hate "salt".

Goes to show you what valuable lessons can be learned from an old man sitting on a beach, huh ? ! ? !

thumbsup.gif

Edited by jaapfries

bug spray from the super market, get a can with a steel spray tube, insert in bug holes and spray

Yep. The ARS bug spray does a good job. Ideally, it should be used as a precaution when the furniture is new.

Ok it's no big deal and I disagree with BJ that one small bit of infestation spells disaster.

Not the case at all.

The bamboo gets eaten by the grub of the bamboo wasp and it's derivatives and most are already within the bamboo.

For your furniture you can use the chaindrite with the steel nozzle for isolated areas that you can identify but my advice is to treat the whole piece of furniture with the chaindrite or solution (photo attached)

It's good for any insect in fact, you mix it about 1 part to 50part water so you don't need much.

The small cans are about 200bt but will last a long time.

Get a bigger can if you want to spray your wood house or garden.

So get a small garden sprayer say a 3 /5 litre and most important....take the furniture outside to spray it.

Give it a good soaking, it will dry within 30mins.

It is good stuff, so wear a face mask as well.

It will coat the furniture and anything within the bamboo trying to get out will be poisoned and any new wasps trying to get in will be poisoned.

No need to varnish again, that actually doesn't help.

I sprayed about 15 tables and chairs 3yr ago after seeing piles of dust and not one attack since.

One more piece of advice ,don't spray near fish, I inadvertently wiped out 80% of my fish stock after spraying 200lengths of bamboo .post-150623-14095421679853_thumb.jpgpost-150623-14095421853657_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i had them in a buddah statue once.treated it with the chaindrite,very toxic stuff,outdoors and wrapped it in plastic air tight for a few days for deeper penetration.then aired it out some.now ok.

for new stuff best to put the fresh cut bamboo in a big trash can with borax solution.the still living bamboo sucks it up before it dies and is pretty well protected there after.

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

where i am i have seen Thais submerge it in the pond or klong for a few days

Quite correct, they will try to grow the bamboo platations along the banks of rivers, so when they cut them,they can launch them into the river and collect them a few days later downstream.

I think the fact that the water clears a lot of insects was a secondary advantage to easy transportation.

If you plan using two or three inch bamboo outside use the above chaindrite or solignum milk to give it protection.

Clear varnishing will protect it from the rain for two years but the sun will make it peel away.

Nothing worse than black bamboo that's never been looked after.