Looking for some insight on Pai (Mae Hong Son)

kekalot

I am looking to travel/move to Pai shortly, for at least a month.. possibly a few months

as of now, I've been living in Cha-am and might be driving to Pai.. or taking the train..

I do have a few specific questions, for people who have been there or actually live there

1. what are the conditions of the road between Chiang Mai and Pai? looks sketchy on Google maps

2. what is the situation with soi dogs there? I am taking my dog with me and they are a pain in the ass sometimes in Cha-am (not too bad but annoying)

3. where is the closest land border crossing that can be used for a visa run? would it be the one north of Chiang Rai

4. would I be able to find small accommodation (1 bed or bachelors) for roughly 2-3k baht? (can't find that information online, i must be dense)

5. how about weather, mosquitoes and such?

reason for asking #3 is that I would like to arrange a visa prior to getting there instead of traveling hundreds of kilometers once I am set there

I usually live in Cha-am 2-3 months and then get bored of the beach and want to travel around.. last year I went from Cha-am to Buriram, Maha Sarakham/Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon and Chiang Rai and back to Cha-am..

Drove all that on my Honda Wave, it was an interesting trip for sure

This year driving to Pai and around (later) would be cool so any help would be appreciated.

not sure if this is the correct forum.. but I could not see any forum for Northern Thailand and well, Chiang Mai was the closest I could find, move if necessary

Thank you!

I am well aware of that

I meant by train to Chiang Mai and then by road instead of driving my bike the whole way

Ignore these types. Their mothers obviously never taught them any manners.

You can get the train to CM then a bus or van up there.

Border crossing at Maesai

Took 2 dogs the last three times we have been there, stayed in resort style accommodation. Still Soi dogs but no problems.

You can fly, bus ,transit or car.

We go by car. A lot of bends in the road but still only 2-3 hours from Chiangmai, plenty of places to stop for coffee,pee break etc.

Bit of info on PaiAccommodation.com

I was there two weeks ago, and have visited several times over the years.

1. . what are the conditions of the road between Chiang Mai and Pai? looks sketchy on Google maps

Just fine. Just lots of corners and hairpins, which makes it kind of interesting and fun to drive, if you like driving. It just sucks without power steering, like when I drove an old Land Rover up. But any tiny eco car, modern pick-up or anything else is a breeze.

2. what is the situation with soi dogs there? I am taking my dog with me and they are a pain in the ass sometimes in Cha-am (not too bad but annoying)

Same as everywhere else in Thailand. No better, no worse.

3. where is the closest land border crossing that can be used for a visa run? would it be the one north of Chiang Rai

Yes, Mae Sai in Chiang Rai. So that is actually VERY out of the way; might as well back-track to Chiang Mai if you were thinking of spending some time there as well.

4. would I be able to find small accommodation (1 bed or bachelors) for roughly 2-3k baht? (can't find that information online, i must be dense)

That's fancy new resort money. While pricing for cheapo bungalows have been creeping up, there's still plenty for under 1K. And with 2-3K to splurge you have lots of choice, just check Agoda, Tripadvisor, etc.

It's the rainy season. And that part of the rainy season where it's not just the one hour downpour in the afternoon/evening, but a chance (not a certainty) of several consecutive overcast and rainy days. So it might be rainy. Personally that doesn't bother me too much, but if you want dry and sunny then wait 1.5 - 2 months. (Dries up by the second half of October usually; sometimes sooner, sometimes later.)

Thanks Winnie, great information.. I guess a long drive would be in order to get to Mae Sai.

to be honest, I don't mind the rainy season.. but i'd rather drive there myself so I have my motorbike to get around there

I'm driving a Honda Wave.. I don't mind taking a few hours to get through this.. it's allright with me and quasi fun (good views too for pictures i bet)

but the pricing I meant was for renting apartment for a month, right..? not per night I'd hope.. I'm not into fancy resorts or apartments ;)

here in Cha-am I have a room per month 2500 baht and includes Electricity and Water, about 130 meters from the beach (if that)

it's not pretty but I don't spend my life living in my small room, its mostly for rest and rainy days.

1. what are the conditions of the road between Chiang Mai and Pai? looks sketchy on Google maps'

CYCLED IT. FINE.

LIVED IN CHA-AM SO MY RESPONSE WOULD BE: ABOUT THE SAME

NO IDEA.

CHEAP BASIC PLACES AROUND. not sure on pricing during peak season.

Was great when I was there spent about 3 weeks overall.

While pricing for cheapo bungalows have been creeping up, there's still plenty for under 1K.

If anyone cares, I was there a few weeks ago and all the places that I checked were charging 200 baht for a comfortable, clean, fan room with bath and a TV, but not many English stations. They must get together and set prices as I asked a bunch of different kinds of vehicles to drop me off near the waterfalls - it is something like 7 kilometers out of town - and every single one said 200 baht - no less no more - and they would not bargain. However, motorcycles were willing to do it for half that price.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Have a friend living up there. Talk with him at least every other day.

He tells me it has been getting an unusual amount of rain. OK today but last three days rained. No longer just for a short time rains for prolonged periods of time.

He likes to take his bike up into the mountains to the many hill tribe villages. He tells me it is almost mandatory 4 wheel drive a lot of the time. Last time he was up there was a real thriller coming down on his bike. Off season rates if you look around you should be able to come up with some really good ones.wai.gif

Have a friend living up there. Talk with him at least every other day.

He tells me it has been getting an unusual amount of rain. OK today but last three days rained. No longer just for a short time rains for prolonged periods of time.

He likes to take his bike up into the mountains to the many hill tribe villages. He tells me it is almost mandatory 4 wheel drive a lot of the time. Last time he was up there was a real thriller coming down on his bike. Off season rates if you look around you should be able to come up with some really good ones.wai.gif

We did a hill tribe trek a few years ago near Pai. 4x4 couldn't even make it. We had to walk 2km to get to the village. This was during the rainy season. Dirt roads are a mess.

Be careful on your scooter on the road to Pai during a rain. It's super slippery and many have had some really bad accidents.

We were turned off by all the hippies sitting on the streets selling all sorts of stuff. We didn't like the town that much as it's super touristy with lots of young backpackers around. We went out of town a bit and liked it much better. Remember, it's a very small town.

It's a beautiful area. You might also look into Mae Hong Son. Really pretty town also. Don't get me wrong here, I love dogs. But without your dog, you could cruise around that area. Fang, Tha Ton, etc are great little "Thai style" cites. Great for exploring and enjoying. Even up towards the Golden Triangle.

Have fun and report back if you can!

I read the allaboutpai website and damn that is quite long

I was a little bit sad to hear that it is quite touristy nowadays as I was hoping for a calmer thai location (even more calm than cha-am

to be honest, I don't mind backpackers that much

now only two things are left before I take the plunge:

I need to somehow modify my bike to bring my dog with me (a 50+ lbs English Bull Terrier)

and

I would love to know roughly what to expect as far as finding an apartment goes..

maybe someone with contacts down there could ask them to keep an eye for a place?

somewhere a dog would be welcome? obviously i don't need something in the middle of town.. some 1bedroom or bachelor, cheap stuff but not shanties

I can drive the 5-10km to get to town it's not a big problem ;)

If I didn't have my dog with me I would have already left I think.. but his ass is too fat to sit on the pinion to go through probably 24 hours of driving and 700+ curves from chiang mai to pai.

with a little support so he doesn't fall on the sides it should be easy.. I'm trying to get a custom rack to cover his back and sides or something.

The road to Pai is fine in all seasons. A Wave will be fine although a bit slow up some of the steeper bits.

Pai is very touristy.

The closest border is Mae Sae and a good route is through Fang over the mountains through Mae Salong....lovely route on a bike.

I was a little bit sad to hear that it is quite touristy nowadays as I was hoping for a calmer thai location (even more calm than cha-am to be honest, I don't mind backpackers that much

People go to Pai *BECAUSE* it is touristy has a vibrant international traveller scene. It'a part of the attraction. If people didn't want touristy there are literally dozens of similar sized district towns to choose from in the North, located in pretty areas with mountain views.

Take your pick. But really, you want touristy. It means having espresso and croissants in the morning instead of chili dip and rice.

And rent a pick-up truck so you can move your bike as well as the beast over in more sane and civilized manner.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It has gotten very touristy; and not for the better I think. It is, though an improvement on Mae Hong Son, which in

my view is a dump.

Everyone has said the same about the road. Bendy..to put it mildly!

I would sort out visas etc before you go

It is hardly the backwoods any more. Plane to CM! Plenty of minibuses from CM

Why don't you send your bike through the post office?

Can't really imagine why anyone would want to live there!! Cha Am it is not!

However hope it works out for you

Pai is very proud of the fact that the Road to Pai from Chiang Mai has 762 (yes, someone counted). The drive isn't hard, but you won't go fast. Anyone prone to car sickness will be miserable. I, for one, enjoyed the drive very much. The coolest place I've ever been in Thailand was at the summit on that road; had to be close to freezing during a nighttime drive. But only briefly till the altitude drops.

It has gotten very touristy; and not for the better I think.

I have to agree. It used to seem like a Thai town with a lot of touristy stuff - which I don't mind - but now it just seems to be a place built for foreign tourists and not much else. However, it is a lot nicer outside of town, although not a lot to do.

Pai is very proud of the fact that the Road to Pai from Chiang Mai has 762 (yes, someone counted). The drive isn't hard, but you won't go fast. Anyone prone to car sickness will be miserable. I, for one, enjoyed the drive very much. The coolest place I've ever been in Thailand was at the summit on that road; had to be close to freezing during a nighttime drive. But only briefly till the altitude drops.

All that riding at night???? You must either be a very lucky guy or a very good rider, other drivers and riders without lights, the state of the roads, etc.

It has gotten very touristy; and not for the better I think. It is, though an improvement on Mae Hong Son, which in

my view is a dump.

Everyone has said the same about the road. Bendy..to put it mildly!

I would sort out visas etc before you go

It is hardly the backwoods any more. Plane to CM! Plenty of minibuses from CM

Why don't you send your bike through the post office?

Can't really imagine why anyone would want to live there!! Cha Am it is not!

However hope it works out for you

meh! I guess my sources were not very forward with that information, I expected it to be a little bit touristy but apparently almost everyone on here seems see it as quite a bit more touristy than I had hoped.

well that's a shame, I was hoping for something calmer than Cha-am.. not that it's THAT bad here.. I just get tired of the beach after about 1.5 month and want to explore a little bit. happens every time.

I did look up some videos and such a little more on youtube yesterday and saw a site that listed Pai as one of the most over rated place in SEA

now, I have roughly two weeks to decide what I am up to, I will definitely travel "somewhere" but I am not much of a tourist, I don't really care much for the usual tourist traps, bars or entertainment..

I just want to find a peaceful yet not TOO lonely place to live.. I might go there one month, not like it and move on.

but i feel like Pai would be one hell of a Honda Wave drive to be disappointed of

I don't really care much for the usual tourist traps, bars or entertainment..

I just want to find a peaceful yet not TOO lonely place to live.. I might go there one month, not like it and move on.

Doi Mae Salong is one of my favorite places that fits that description and lots of good Chinese food there. I never feel lonely as long as I bring a good book.

Don’t be put off by all the naysayers on here going about how touristy Pai is…that is very subjective isn’t it. What is touristy to one isn’t to another.

We recently drove the route of Sukhothai – Tak – Mae Sot – Mae Sariang – MHS – Pai – Chiangmai – Sukhothai. I have to say after all I read before we set off I was dreading getting to Pai, in fact I was almost not going to bother staying there. When we got there we loved it.

It’s a really small town in a lovely valley setting, probably equidistant between CM and MHS. Its very quiet daytime as everybody goes about their business and in the evening everybody strolls down to the walking street to eat etc, so it’s a lovely atmosphere - on that basis I can’t see why everybody goes on about it negatively. Pai = Lovely place, MHS = Lovely place. Mae Sariang = Lovely place. Mae Sot = not Lovely place. If I was you, I’d try out Pai for a while, and take a day-trip to check out MHS. Get bored of Pai move down to MHS for a while. Get bored of MHS move down to Mae Sariang for a while. I’m sure you’ll have a great time in those places – we visited in May when it wasn’t busy, but I’m assuming in the cool season these places get busy and change drastically.

Road Mae Sariang – MHS – Pai – Chiangmai is fine. Road Mae Sot – Mae Sariang has a really bad section an hour south of Mae Sariang. Be careful, there are some real stupid dangerous drivers. Go at a reasonable safe speed you’ll be ok. I worry though if you are planning take a dog on a bike.