Tt&t Adsl

grrr

The telephone exchange is on Pattaya Klang indeed. However they have a limited set of ADSL numbers available, and they put the lines going towards Beach road on these numbers (they probably saw more potential commercial customers in that area?). Because of this it is possible living 500 meters away from the exchange but not being able to get adsl :o

If your friend can't get adsl, satelite will be the only broadband option available.!

There are two systems available: Iptv (modem up, sat down) and Ipstar (two-way sat).

I'll try to list the pro's and con's of each system so you'll friend might get helped a bit in choosing which system to go with:

Iptv con's: volume based, you pay for data downloaded so not good for heavy download requirements....little bit sattelite lag, there is a delay between requesting and receiving stuff...telephone/modem still required... signal loss during heavy rain...

Iptv pro's: Fast, you always get close to your advertised speeds...If you only use for browsing, e-mail etc the price is cheap for an always on broadband link (1500B/month). In the PTY area the service from Wattana is acceptable...

IPstar con's Big sattelite delay...connection dissapears regularly for upto an hour...more expensive...big dish...speeds seem to go down every so often...terrible customerservice since the problems are mostly satellite based...

Ipstar pro's No phone necesary, works everywhere...option of higher speeds(512/256)...upload faster then Iptv (128kbps)....fast for downloading (1big file), not so fast browsing(many small files) caused by the sat delay

Price Iptv:

http://www.cscoms.com/en/product/iptv_service.html

Price Ipstar:

http://www.cscoms.com/en/product/ipstar_service.html

There is a promotion going on for Ipstar where a part of the set-up fee is waived... Inquire at Wattana...

Hope this helps....

Monty

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he can get adsl, it'll be more expensive for unlimited connection.

I think Loxinfo is 6000 Baht/month (only 1 PC connected!!!) 11000 Baht/month to hook up a small network!...

KSC is at 6750 Baht/month (network allowed)

Add to this the price for the ADSL line, for TOT 256/128 it is normally 1400 Baht/month but I think they have a 500 Baht/month promotion going on...

There is however no download limit on these connections!

Inquire at their respective offices, on third road behind the telefone exchange going towards north Pattaya... Ksc and loxinfo are almost opposite each other...

One thing, Loxinfo office told me the 6000Baht/month promo for home was not available in PTY, Wattana insisted it was??? Don't know of anybody who has it, so no idea who's right.... TIT

If he can get adsl, it'll be more expensive for unlimited connection.

I think Loxinfo is 6000 Baht/month (only 1 PC connected!!!) 11000 Baht/month to hook up a small network!...

KSC is at 6750 Baht/month (network allowed)

Add to this the price for the ADSL line, for TOT 256/128 it is normally 1400 Baht/month but I think they have a 500 Baht/month promotion going on...

There is however no download limit on these connections!

Inquire at their respective offices, on third road behind the telefone exchange going towards north Pattaya... Ksc and loxinfo are almost opposite each other...

One thing, Loxinfo office told me the 6000Baht/month promo for home was not available in PTY, Wattana insisted it was??? Don't know of anybody who has it, so no idea who's right.... TIT

It's expensive, i am going home today to Pattaya, i was thinking of getting a faster connection than Dial up, but not at those prices.....

I am in Tokyo, 100Mbps permanent unrestricted ADSL = 1000 baht a month

I know it is not to do with Thailand, but the ADSL connection i have is the only thing in Japan that is cheap :o

Okay, today they sent out three of their best to tackle my problem. After two hours, they conceeded that the TSpeed system is pretty unreliable and only good for surfing sites within Thailand. They recomended that I sign up with someone else and that I did. I now pay 3000 baht a month to Chiang Mai Internet. I am guaranteed 128Kbps and I will get 256Kbps most of the time. There is no limit on usage. Its 2000 baht more, but it works. I use the internet for long distance phone calls so in the end it is worth it. I never got above 200Kbps with TSpeed anyway. Enough said.

Maybe I spoke too soon. As soon as the guy from Chiang Mai Internet left, I went to the bank to transfer 3000 baht to their account. Since then, I've gotten long periods at 40Kbps or less and some shorter periods around 200Kbps. CMnet agrees that this is not normal and they still remember that they promised me 128Kbps minimum. They said they'll have to get back to me tomorrow as they can't figure it out right now.

Is reliable medium speed internet really too much to ask? Maybe its time I become BangkokThai.

At least this plan is month to month and can be cancelled if neccessary. Another dissapointment...

I had my girlfriend send an email to TT@T asking (in Thai) when they planed to roll out ADSL all over Pattaya, like the promised they would do a year ago.

No answer from them yet, will we ever get an answer ?????? :o

A friend who stays near Carrefour Pattaya wants to obtain a broadband connection with unrestricted access. What's his best bet?

Satellite

best bet is to pray :D:o

After two month of complete frustration, I second that. Intervention from above is our only hope.

I wonder if our man in Hang Dong is still getting high speeds with his 1000 baht a month plan, while I'm paying 3000 Baht and still can't get above 40Kbps. If so, that would be very funny in a very Thai sort of way.

For anyone still following this saga, I write another paragraph.

During the day this new Chiang Mai Internet is ridiculously slow to any sites outside of the country- 16Kbps, 20Kbps. Its not just the site where I'm testing as it takes 90 seconds to download a 150Kbps file. it takes 20 seconds to open hotmail etc. etc. Yesterday CMNet guaranteed me that I would always get at least 128Kbps. For 3,000, I figured it was worth it. After my experience today, i called them and they said that 'during the day is a time when many people use the internet so it may be slow'. I asked for my money back and they said that could take awhile. So I re-entered my password for TSpeed without them knowing and today I'm getting 100Kbps. What a country.

CMT, I'm following your saga closely. TT&T still hasn't got back to me on whether they have any DSL lines left in my area, but after your experience I'm thinking I should perhaps not bother.

Was about to go for Chiangmai Internet when you critiqued them! Now what? If I were to pay 6000B a month to Loxinfo, would I get real international broadband?? :o

I'm up in Chiang Mai and I have been stopping in at both the TOT and TT&T offices at Airport Shopping Plaza where they both have a demo for their ADSL to check it out. I am not sure if the TOT is the 500 baht per month 256 kbps or the 600 baht per month 512 kbps hookup as the girls that work there don't know. The TT&T is the 999 baht per month 2MBPS divided by 50 if all 50 user are online.

Here are the download speeds that I got today at about 2 PM from the same US site. These aren't speed test sites but a download from one of the biggest sites in the US eBay.

TOT download speed was at about 24 kbps

TT&T download speed was at about 4 kbps, about the same as I get with my very slow but reliable 340 baht per month always on dial up.

Just surfing TOT seemed to be faster, but I don't think that TOT has hooked up to as many subscribers yet as TT&T has. I know that TOT is just getting the ADSL system set up in Chaing Mai at this time.

If anybody out there is using TOT in Chiang Mai I would like to know how it is working for you as I think that is the way I will go.

CMT, I'm following your saga closely. TT&T still hasn't got back to me on whether they have any DSL lines left in my area, but after your experience I'm thinking I should perhaps not bother.

Was about to go for Chiangmai Internet when you critiqued them! Now what? If I were to pay 6000B a month to Loxinfo, would I get real international broadband?? :o

Well, I think some people have had good experiences with TSpeed. maybe its just your location. I really don't know anymore and I don't think TT&T knows either. The amount of technicians that have come and gone without being able to do anything is staggering. I can say that they seem to be trying, but that's little comfort.

The fact that CMNet is basically the same, but is costing me 2000 baht more just leads me to believe that its going to be awhile before there is reliable DSL in Chiang Mai. They tell me I have to contact TT&T as the service runs through them. TT&T tells me I should contact CMNet as I am their customer.

I really can't believe all the hassle just to get a 256Kbps line. I know this is not the US, but they're advertising it and I'm paying for it. You'd hope it might actually work.

Micman, I'll write what I did in the other thread:

Did they give you the complete demo at TT&T? Did they remember to include the part about having day time download speeds of 20Kbps? What about the part about not being able to get above 250Kbps even if no one else is online because the system doesn't work well on VCI 66? Or the bit about sending half a dozen guys to your house over the course of a month who all have no idea what to do? And did they inform you that 'Sir, you're better off with Chiang Mai Internet if you want a reliable connection', which cost 2000 baht more, but is no better than TSpeed?

I've given up on DSL in Chiang Mai. Toxin and his 'IT cities'....

Did they give you the complete demo at TT&T? Did they remember to include the part about having day time download speeds of 20Kbps? What about the part about not being able to get above 250Kbps even if no one else is online because the system doesn't work well on VCI 66? Or the bit about sending half a dozen guys to your house over the course of a month who all have no idea what to do? And did they inform you that 'Sir, you're better off with Chiang Mai Internet if you want a reliable connection', which cost 2000 baht more, but is no better than TSpeed?

ChiangMaiThai

No demoat TT&T, it is just the demo computer that anyone can walk in and use.

CMT, I'll give you an update of where I stand now. I have been out of town for a week or so and all was well before I left (high speeds and few problems other than the occasional outage). Since I returned on Monday my problem has been my internet does not work far more than it does. I called TT&T and the person said the issue is not with them, but the connection they have with the the trunk going out. In other words, they don't have a solution to stay for me at VCI 66. He walked me through the process of changing my settings to VCI 33. At 33 it began working and he had me test on TT&T's website. I got a speed of 400+. I thought this is ok. After hanging up I noticed it was much slower than 400 so I tested at McAfee's website and got 40 (just like my old dial up). Apparetnly it works great, as long as you are connecting to a site within Thailand. The issue is going outside of Thailand (where 99.9% of the websites are located). So I am now sitting on paying the same price as my old unlimited loxinfo dial up for the same speed. The only advantage I have now is it does not tie up my phone line. I guess it was too good to be true. I am willing to pay for real broadband if anyone finds a solution that works.

CMT, I'll give you an update of where I stand now. I have been out of town for a week or so and all was well before I left (high speeds and few problems other than the occasional outage). Since I returned on Monday my problem has been my internet does not work far more than it does. I called TT&T and the person said the issue is not with them, but the connection they have with the the trunk going out. In other words, they don't have a solution to stay for me at VCI 66. He walked me through the process of changing my settings to VCI 33. At 33 it began working and he had me test on TT&T's website. I got a speed of 400+. I thought this is ok. After hanging up I noticed it was much slower than 400 so I tested at McAfee's website and got 40 (just like my old dial up). Apparetnly it works great, as long as you are connecting to a site within Thailand. The issue is going outside of Thailand (where 99.9% of the websites are located). So I am now sitting on paying the same price as my old unlimited loxinfo dial up for the same speed. The only advantage I have now is it does not tie up my phone line. I guess it was too good to be true. I am willing to pay for real broadband if anyone finds a solution that works.

Very interesting. I too went out of town, came back and found that Tspeed just didn't work most of the time and when it did, it was painfully slow. But, I soon found that to sites in Thailand it was very fast-400Kbps. But why do I care about that?

I don't want to speak too soon again, but I raised ###### with Chiang Mai Internet after the speeds I got yesterday and they say they have fixed it. It does appear that they have. During the day at peak times, I seem to get at least 100Kbps and in the evenings and mornings I get around 200Kbps. There are times when I get 50Kbps for a few minutes and then it returns to normal. This is costing me 3000 Baht. Is it worth it? I don't know. But at least I am getting reasonable speeds now.

Here's an e-mail from TSpeed:

Dear __________

30 kbps that's because you test speed from web site outside Thailand.

If you test like this whatever ISP will be the same.

The true speed should be tested by Thailand website.

Please try these web sites with Hi-net and CMNET

http://www.thaicybersoft.com/service/speedtest

http://www.tttbroadband.com

and let me know the result from above web sites.

Prasit Utalert [:o]

'The true speed shoudl be tested by Thailand website'. That's where these people just don't get it. None of us will be satisfied if its 400Kbps within Thailand and 40Kbps outside. But to the TSpeed people, you have DSL and you should be happy.

If my Chiang Mai Internet remains at these speeds I will defintiley recommend it over TSpeed. Give me a few more days and I'll post my experience.

9:10pm, just did a couple speed checks. 28Kbps and 34Kbps. I think they're just fuc#ing with me now.

So the real question is, 'Does there exist a single company in Chiang Mai that offers true ADSL internet?'. Inquiring minds want to know. Needless to say, it seems the answer is no.

Can you tell me what site you tested your speed on? Also, I test mine here:

http://us.mcafee.com/root/genericURL_gener...catalog_nav.asp

Can you give it a try and tell me what it says? Here's the log for today. Nowhere near your speeds and much of the day, it was like an average dial up connection:

7:20am 84.88Kbps

I just checked my connection with more than 60 kbps :-). It is a loxinfo dial-up via tt&t phoneline in phuket. Not too bad, at a lot cheaper than these fabulous offers...

Can you tell me what site you tested your speed on? Also, I test mine here:

http://us.mcafee.com/root/genericURL_gener...catalog_nav.asp

Can you give it a try and tell me what it says? Here's the log for today. Nowhere near your speeds and much of the day, it was like an average dial up connection:

7:20am 84.88Kbps

I just checked my connection with more than 60 kbps :-). It is a loxinfo dial-up via tt&t phoneline in phuket. Not too bad, at a lot cheaper than these fabulous offers...

I just checked my speed at the same site. Keep in mind that I'm paying 3000 baht a month. I got 21.1Kbps. Excellent. It does seem that I get more time in the day where I'm in the 100Kbps to 200Kbps range, but this minimum 128Kbps seems to be complete bull#hit.

Wow...when I started this thread over a month ago I was sure excited about trying the TT&T ADSL. Now I'm dreading it...sounds like a lot of frustration is in store when I get back to Chiang Mai next month. Many thanks to all for sharing thier experience with this, keep the info coming! CMT, did you buy a router from TT&T or buy one yourself? What brand/model are you using?

Wow...when I started this thread over a month ago I was sure excited about trying the TT&T ADSL. Now I'm dreading it...sounds like a lot of frustration is in store when I get back to Chiang Mai next month. Many thanks to all for sharing thier experience with this, keep the info coming! CMT, did you buy a router from TT&T or buy one yourself? What brand/model are you using?

My free modem from TT&T didn't work so they told me I had to buy a router. I explained that its not my problem if their equptment doesn't work and they said that the modem has problems with XP and I had to pay for a router. SO I have the XAVi router model number X8124r.

Since switching to Chiang Mai Internet I am much happier, although of course it would be too much to expect it to work as advertised all the time. But it is far more reliable than TSpeed. There are one or two hours a day where its very slow, but most of the time its in the 100 to 200 range. TSpeed didn't even work for int sites most of the time. Liek they say, if it looks too good to be true...

Ok, first post here, but I've been reading for a while and found the information very useful. I've been in Thailand for exactly a year now. I worked IT in the States and thought Thailand would be a great place to come and relax after a life of working my ass off (although I'm still very young at just 35). I did as much research as I could about the Internet here yet was unable to figure much out. I figured I'd just come and resolve the issues when I got here. I came, and have spent countless hours talking to everyone I know about every available option as well as testing out everything. Summed up this is my conclusion. The Internet in Thailand SUCKS! If you are coming here planning to work on the Internet you'd be better off walking the streets for the go-with-man game than trying to make any money on the net. As such, those poor unfortunately street walkers will be walking the street for a long time as the Internet sure isn't a place they can turn to make a better living.

Next, understand that ALL companies lie, lie, lie. Don't believe ANYTHING any of them tell you. I've checked out many, many companies and quickly caught every one of them in a big lie about their service, speed, etc.

In most countries they quote the LOWEST speed you'll get with a particular package--they guarantee it won't be lower, but it might be faster. In Thailand they ALWAYS quote the FASTEST speed which might be possible if pigs could fly, but until then it's just a dream which you will NEVER, EVER see. Presently I'm using the new TTT 2 mbps package (as well as others). Actually, as I read the brochure I see that it's advertised as "8" mbps up and 1 mbps down. Ya, right. I knew that wasn't happening when I signed up and I wasn't disappointed as it's not much faster than my dailup account. Have I complained? No, because I knew it'd suck, but I needed additional options to try to stay in touch with the world via the Internet. What's funny though is that they are obviously PURPOSELY restricting the up speed as that is the ONLY way you can get an up speed with ADSL which is a ###### of a lot SLOWER than a very bad dail-up account.

So, my point of all this is... I hear many people talking about moving here and working on the Internet. DON'T. I am sure the Internet will improve in the distant future where that will be a realistic option, but anyone would be foolish to think it's a possibility now or anytime soon. Furthermore, my suggestion to everyone here searching for a good ADSL package...give it up. Accept the fact that the Internet in Thailand sucks and will suck for a long time. Deal with paying more money for a DSL package that isn't much better than a bad dail-up account yet costs much more money. Accept the fact that you are paying more for Internet access than almost any other country and getting a connection that is worst than in almost any other country. Don't acted SHOCKED when they lie to you about their speeds as they ALL lie. And understand that the young Thai children growing up here are better off looking forward to a life of going-with-man (even if the children are male themselves) than being able to make a living on the Internet.

MM, where are you located? I think Bangkok may be ab exception, but otherwise I agree with everything you say.

They talk about 'IT Cities'. Maybe they should start by offering reasonably priced DSL that actually works.

It reminds me of the 'Fashion City' of Bangkok. Its going to be the Milan of the East, but if a model shows half a breast on a runway, the Culture Minister will shut down the show.

It seems they have such lofty goals, but have no idea what it takes to achieve them.

Hey ChiangMaiThai. I'm located in the designated IT area of Thailand--Patong Beach, Phuket. I agree completely with your statement of high on goals, but low on clues. So sad too as I see so many Thais suffering financially and if the government just failed to show up for work a few days and let things develop naturally, things would be much better here. In the States I've often heard some people say that there needs to be an underclass to do all the work that you don't want to do, so I guess there might also be a need to be 3rd-world countries and thus it might be a good thing that the Internet remains stifled here.

Special note for the day. I'm writing this message from a hotel. ALL my Internet options at the apartment are completely down today--included my new TTT ADSL. The special customer support number TTT gave me just rings and rings with no one answering. Almost glad that no one picked up as they are all clueless there anyway. I'm much better off figuring everything out on my side myself and just assuming they will fix the issues on their end. Anyway, I didn't get mad, I just packed up my laptop and checked into a hotel here which has Internet in the rooms. The Internet at the hotel usually doesn't work, but it is working at the moment.

mickey_mouse...your jai yen yen attitude is of course essential for true Thailand survival. Amazingly, I've found the AIS GPRS service very reliable for back up internet access when everything else is down. The good part is that it works from almost anywhere in the whole country...the bad part is it can get expensive. But when you really really need to get online...

Hey ChiangMaiThai. I'm located in the designated IT area of Thailand--Patong Beach, Phuket. I agree completely with your statement of high on goals, but low on clues. So sad too as I see so many Thais suffering financially and if the government just failed to show up for work a few days and let things develop naturally, things would be much better here. In the States I've often heard some people say that there needs to be an underclass to do all the work that you don't want to do, so I guess there might also be a need to be 3rd-world countries and thus it might be a good thing that the Internet remains stifled here.

Special note for the day. I'm writing this message from a hotel. ALL my Internet options at the apartment are completely down today--included my new TTT ADSL. The special customer support number TTT gave me just rings and rings with no one answering. Almost glad that no one picked up as they are all clueless there anyway. I'm much better off figuring everything out on my side myself and just assuming they will fix the issues on their end. Anyway, I didn't get mad, I just packed up my laptop and checked into a hotel here which has Internet in the rooms. The Internet at the hotel usually doesn't work, but it is working at the moment.

Yes, you're in THE It City and you can't even get slow and expensive DSL to work. Wake up TOXIN.

hi, just to mention an isolated event: 556.64 kbps on TTT ADSL tested on MacAfee.

Please tell us more. How often do you get these kinds of speeds? In general what kind of speeds do you get to int websites? Do you have much down time where it simply doesn't work? And this is TSpeed we're talking about right?

hi, just to mention an isolated event: 556.64 kbps on TTT ADSL tested on MacAfee.

Please tell us more. How often do you get these kinds of speeds? In general what kind of speeds do you get to int websites? Do you have much down time where it simply doesn't work? And this is TSpeed we're talking about right?

Hi CMT, yes I use Tspeed or Hinet (as TTT calls it), the 1000 Baht TTT ADSL plan. I'm not checking speed very often, but have DU meter running so I get an idea of the range. For me the main frustrating part is the long (I count in days rather than hours or minutes) downtime; the speed,well, that's part of the deal: can be fast can be slow, just tested, got 60-70 kbps (note in my post: isolated event). On the other hand I use Loxinfo dialup some times, the connection is lousy and the line drops all the time.

Who do you talk to for support? *997 or another number?

Earlier on this thread I asked what SMTP server people use with this plan to send email, but got no answer (yet?), so the question still stands.