Tt&t Adsl

grrr

hi, just to mention an isolated event: 556.64 kbps on TTT ADSL tested on MacAfee.

Please tell us more. How often do you get these kinds of speeds? In general what kind of speeds do you get to int websites? Do you have much down time where it simply doesn't work? And this is TSpeed we're talking about right?

Hi CMT, yes I use Tspeed or Hinet (as TTT calls it), the 1000 Baht TTT ADSL plan. I'm not checking speed very often, but have DU meter running so I get an idea of the range. For me the main frustrating part is the long (I count in days rather than hours or minutes) downtime; the speed,well, that's part of the deal: can be fast can be slow, just tested, got 60-70 kbps (note in my post: isolated event). On the other hand I use Loxinfo dialup some times, the connection is lousy and the line drops all the time.

Who do you talk to for support? *997 or another number?

Earlier on this thread I asked what SMTP server people use with this plan to send email, but got no answer (yet?), so the question still stands.

About the server, I don't know as I'm not computer literate. The long down time was my problem too. When it worked, you say to yourself, 'well, this is pretty good', and then it just stops working for a few days.

Ironically, my CMNEt is down since the storm today and they have no after hours support. So I switched to the TSpeed engineer test username and password and I'm getting nearly 200Kbps.

Don't call *997. They're worthless. One of the managers at TT&T- 053 402 040. One of the engineers- 01 531 2885. The latter speaks good English. But from my experience (they came to my house about 5 times and sent 8 different people), there's simply nothing they can do. There is an inherant flaw in the system. Even they admitted to me that the whole system has problems. They were the ones who told me to switch to CMNET if I wanted more reliable internet!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holm,

Based on the performance and ummmm....technical expertise displayed by TT&T so far I'd suggest using a third party SMTP server if you really care about your email getting delivered. I've found in both the US and Thailand MANY ISPs have unreliable SMTP servers which I will not put up with. For the last two years or so I've used Fastmail (fastmail.fm) and highly recommend them.

Thanks grrr & rjcos for the hint on fastmail, looks great and reasonably priced. TTT does not have an SMTP server for the hinet plan, but as you say the outgoing mail is unreliable anyway (experienced it with loxinfo before). Although the problem is possibly with spam protection programmes that block off entire ISPs (spamcop blocks compuserve classic mail (a US provider) for example) and you never know whether your message went thru or not. Right now I'm using 1st SMTP server, which you set up on your computer, but it is slow and does not always get the mail out (but you know what went and what not).

CMT, I'm also in touch with the guy at 402 040, he is very helpful within his capabilities. He also gave me the cellphone number of his boss, so if you need one day let me know.

Cheers,

Holm

CMT, I'm also in touch with the guy at 402 040, he is very helpful within his capabilities. He also gave me the cellphone number of his boss, so if you need one day let me know.

Cheers,

Holm

Thanks. I really think its just that the system isn't up to par. As rjcos pointed out, his super fast and affordable ADSL hasn't worked for two days.

I'm relatively happy with CmNet. Okay, so its 2000 baht more and you never get above 200Kbps, but it works as advertised 90% of the time and when looked at in context, that's ###### good.

I am still waiting for a reply to the email my girlfriend sent to to AT&T asking about

thier planed roll out of ADSL to all parts of Pattaya... they said it would happen a year ago :D

Obviously they don't give a flying wotsit about customer service.

So does anyone know where I can get an ADSL line from :o

I am in Soi Yensabai it's not far from second road where they can get ADSL.

I don't mind changing telecom companies as long as they can provide ADSL

if TT&T can't deliver could TOT or Telecom Asia ?

I suppose I could go to the TT&T office and offer some tea money but it would be the last resort. :D

Any way :D what ever happens :D

I called TTT on Sunday to tell them it had not been working since Friday. On Monday morning they sent out two techs to take a look. First, I couldn't beleive they sent someone who knew their way around a Mac. That was nice. I had been switching back and forth between VCI 33 and 66 to see if 66 was working and my problem was fixed by a simple reboot of the router. Since then it has worked fine and I average about 100 internationally (only on VCI 33, 66 is not working yet). Not DSL speed, but better than dial-up.

The techs said that they expected to have the system working like they want it to work in a month (and back to VCI 66).

I am happy to be getting better speeds (and not having to tie up the phone line) at the same price as I was paying for dial-up. I bet they will eventually get the kinks worked out. If not in one month then mai pen rai.

I am still waiting for a reply to the email my girlfriend sent to to AT&T asking about

thier planed roll out of ADSL to all parts of Pattaya... they said it would happen a year ago :D

Obviously they don't give a flying wotsit about customer service.

So does anyone know where I can get an ADSL line from :o

I am in Soi Yensabai it's not far from second road where they can get ADSL.

I don't mind changing telecom companies as long as they can provide ADSL

if TT&T can't deliver could TOT or Telecom Asia ?

I suppose I could go to the TT&T office and offer some tea money but it would be the last resort. :D

Any way :D what ever happens :D

From Yensabai go to Hollywood - you know, the place that's just had a fire.

On the corner is an Internet Cafe, opens about midday (when the guy in charge has not been with his farang boyfriend the night before) where he claims it is ADSL connected.

He is a nice, helpful guy - friend of the wife - good English.

The yellow building with the boat parked in front ??, I can see it from here.

Some one else told me how happy the guy in charge was to finally have ADSL,and about his eratic opening times. ( or are you the very same person ?? :D )

In fact some one even closer claims to have ADSL ....it must be to do with tea money.

After searching the Thai webboard have a look here if anyone is interested

I found this from "Knot"

เมื่อว่าผมวิ่งไปถามที่องค์การ กับ TT&T มาได้ความว่า เพื่อนๆที่เป็นเบอร์ของ TT&T นั้นที่ขึ้นต้นด้วย 3 กะ 7 ลองไปขอติดตั้ง adsl ดูนะครับเค้าบอกว่า adsl เข้าไปถึงแล้ว ส่วน เพื่อนที่เป็นเบอร์ของ องค์การ นั้นไม่ต้องกลัว เค้าบอกมาว่าประมาณ 2 เดือน จะทำให้ได้ทั่วพัทยา(อันนี้ไม่รู้โม้ป่าวนะ)แต่เค้าบอกมอีกว่า บริเวณ ซ.บัวขาว ถ้าไปขอตอนนี้ได้เลยนะครับ จบข่าว เราคงต้องรอต่อไปน้า เซ็งๆๆๆ isdn 56 k

We find that TT&T numbers starting with 3 and 7 have to wait a bit longer another 2 months :D they said that a year ago.

Soi Baukow can get it now... marvelous. :D

By the way, we are still waiting to a reply from TT&T by email (it will never arrive)

The phone number they give on thier website for checking coverage area and further information 02-693-2100 extension 1292 does not work (surprise surprise)

Yes I truely believe that Thailand will soon be a first world country :o

Some one else told me how happy the guy in charge was to finally have ADSL,and about his eratic opening times. ( or are you the very same person ?? :D )

In fact some one even closer claims to have ADSL ....it must be to do with tea money.

I found this from "Knot"

เมื่อว่าผมวิ่งไปถามที่องค์การ กับ TT&T มาได้ความว่า เพื่อนๆที่เป็นเบอร์ของ TT&T นั้นที่ขึ้นต้นด้วย 3 กะ 7 ลองไปขอติดตั้ง adsl ดูนะครับเค้าบอกว่า adsl เข้าไปถึงแล้ว ส่วน เพื่อนที่เป็นเบอร์ของ องค์การ นั้นไม่ต้องกลัว เค้าบอกมาว่าประมาณ 2 เดือน จะทำให้ได้ทั่วพัทยา(อันนี้ไม่รู้โม้ป่าวนะ)แต่เค้าบอกมอีกว่า บริเวณ ซ.บัวขาว ถ้าไปขอตอนนี้ได้เลยนะครับ จบข่าว เราคงต้องรอต่อไปน้า เซ็งๆๆๆ isdn 56 k

We find that TT&T numbers starting with 3 and 7 have to wait a bit longer another 2 months :D they said that a year ago.

By the way, we are still waiting to a reply from TT&T by email (it will never arrive)

The phone number they give on thier website for checking coverage area and further information 02-693-2100 extension 1292 does not work (surprise surprise)

If you call 053 202 997 in Chiang Mai, you'll get routed to Bangkok office for TSpeed. Someone always answers. But I won't promise you that they know anything.

Because I won't let this thread die, I thought I'd post an update. CMnet is not working again so I switch over to TSpeed. I've been downloading a large file and the DU meter chart on TSpeed is just peaks and valleys. Up to 26Kbps and down to nothing and then up to 26Kbps etc. etc. Does this provide any clue for why the service is sh#t?

I found this from "Knot"

Let us know how you get on, johnq. I'd be very interested to know which areas of Pattaya are becoming available for ADSL.

Soi Buakhow now has ADSL .... well, at least they are expanding to more residential areas. I may be able to stay in Pattaya as opposed to BKK.

I guess it's too much to ask for a map of areas currently covered and/or planned, but if anyone has a link to something along these lines, please post.

Just wanted to update folks on how my Internet with TT&T is going. Being that I had very low expectations to start with, I must say that I am happy with my ADSL. My speed is often around 170 kbps which isn't exactly true DSL, but is better than anything else in this town. Speed fluxuates radically though and sometimes drops below dailup speed at which point I just switch to my dailup account. It is important to keep a backup account here.

Being that there are 50 people at least sharing this TT&T plan, I find that I get punished for the lowest common denominator in the group. Someone or some people in my group of 50 are probably infected by viruses which are sending out emails and as such I find it difficult for me to get email out as header info originating from this IP is blocked. I've done a bit of research and did eventually figure out what the problems is--as stated. Since I'm using a Mac, I know the problem isn't caused by me. Not too much of a problem as I must switch to the dailup account several times a day anyway so I just send email when using that account.

The main issue which I don't see anyone talking about and thus I know no one is complaining about, and thus they won't correct is that the UPLOAD speed isn't the 2mbps promised. I'm getting between 1 kbps - .5 kpbs with is usually about .6 - .5 kpbs on average. At least, that's what reading I'm getting, but that's such a slow speed that I don't think I'm getting an accurate calculation and I believe it's slower than that. When I time files with my watch and figure it out, I'm figuring it's much slower and just so far below the speed the program I'm using to figure it was ever designed to calculate. I have called and complained, and they appear clueless. However, I believe that they are aware and are purposely restricting this speed way below the promised 2 mbps as I think the only way to get an upload speed as slow as I'm getting is for them to purposely do it. So, I just switch to my dailup account anytime I want to upload anything. I can get an upload speed of about 2 kpbs with my dailup which is a far cry from the 128 kpbs restricted uploaded speed I got in the States at the SLOWEST DSL plan they had available, but much faster than my DSL speed.

Oh, one more thing I've noticed. I'm using Ji-net for my dailup. Monthly unlimited plan is less than 500 baht a month. Dailing-in is often impossible as the common 1222 number is always busy, but I found the secret is just to dail in and stay in. I do not get dropped that often--some days a few times, but some days I don't get dropped at all. The speed is slow, but more constant. As such, programs like Yahoo Messenger, ICQ, etc will often work fairly well. I found the speed with TT&T fluxuates so radically and drops so low at times as it's usually isn't possible to run Yahoo Messenger or ICQ, and of course the upload speed is so slow that it's impossible to send any files.

Never the less, I'm happy over all with my T-Speed from TT&T. I think my very low initial expectations helped. Yet, I'm happy. Yep, even though I'm presently using my dail-up account as my DSL has been completely down for the past few hours.

Just wanted to update folks on how my Internet with TT&T is going. Being that I had very low expectations to start with, I must say that I am happy with my ADSL. My speed is often around 170 kbps which isn't exactly true DSL, but is better than anything else in this town. Speed fluxuates radically though and sometimes drops below dailup speed at which point I just switch to my dailup account. It is important to keep a backup account here.

Being that there are 50 people at least sharing this TT&T plan, I find that I get punished for the lowest common denominator in the group. Someone or some people in my group of 50 are probably infected by viruses which are sending out emails and as such I find it difficult for me to get email out as header info originating from this IP is blocked. I've done a bit of research and did eventually figure out what the problems is--as stated. Since I'm using a Mac, I know the problem isn't caused by me. Not too much of a problem as I must switch to the dailup account several times a day anyway so I just send email when using that account.

The main issue which I don't see anyone talking about and thus I know no one is complaining about, and thus they won't correct is that the UPLOAD speed isn't the 2mbps promised. I'm getting between 1 kbps - .5 kpbs with is usually about .6 - .5 kpbs on average. At least, that's what reading I'm getting, but that's such a slow speed that I don't think I'm getting an accurate calculation and I believe it's slower than that. When I time files with my watch and figure it out, I'm figuring it's much slower and just so far below the speed the program I'm using to figure it was ever designed to calculate. I have called and complained, and they appear clueless. However, I believe that they are aware and are purposely restricting this speed way below the promised 2 mbps as I think the only way to get an upload speed as slow as I'm getting is for them to purposely do it. So, I just switch to my dailup account anytime I want to upload anything. I can get an upload speed of about 2 kpbs with my dailup which is a far cry from the 128 kpbs restricted uploaded speed I got in the States at the SLOWEST DSL plan they had available, but much faster than my DSL speed.

Oh, one more thing I've noticed. I'm using Ji-net for my dailup. Monthly unlimited plan is less than 500 baht a month. Dailing-in is often impossible as the common 1222 number is always busy, but I found the secret is just to dail in and stay in. I do not get dropped that often--some days a few times, but some days I don't get dropped at all. The speed is slow, but more constant. As such, programs like Yahoo Messenger, ICQ, etc will often work fairly well. I found the speed with TT&T fluxuates so radically and drops so low at times as it's usually isn't possible to run Yahoo Messenger or ICQ, and of course the upload speed is so slow that it's impossible to send any files.

Never the less, I'm happy over all with my T-Speed from TT&T. I think my very low initial expectations helped. Yet, I'm happy. Yep, even though I'm presently using my dail-up account as my DSL has been completely down for the past few hours.

Thanks for the update. I'm trying to decide whether or not to stay with my 3000 baht a month plan with CMNEt so I have switched over to TSpeed for a few days to see if it works yet. I notice the same thing you mention. It varies so much that it is simply not reliable and you need a back up plan. Sometimes its fine and sometimes you have hours at a time where its useless.

If CmNet was completely reliable and a minimum of 128Kbps like they promised, then I would stick with them without doubt. But they too are unreliable, just not to the extent of TSpeed. Actually, it seems that to have reliable 'ADSL' (which, in Thailand seems to mean at least 100Kbps) I need to pay for both TSpeed and CMNet- 4000 baht a month- and switch to the other when one isn't working, which is ridiculous. (I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why so many other countries can offer proper ADSL at a fraction of the price- And where is Dear Leader when you really need him?)

When CMNet is crawling along at 20Kbps, I call the office and they tell me that a lot of people are using the internet. (Thanks). I remind them about the 128Kbps minimum promised and they now insist that this is only for domestic sites and that it is really the fault of TT&T not them...

mm, did you use a DU meter to test your speed? If not, do a google search and download one. You'll see how much speeds really fluctuate.

I think the key to it all is extremely low expectations. If anyone could ever figure out how to offer speeds of at least 500Kbps or so all the time for a couple thousand a month, I think they'd have plenty of customers.

Greetings all. Long time reader, first time postee. I signed up for the good ol' TT&T ADSL 1000 baht/month deal (through Hi-Net) a week ago in Phuket. It has been going relatively good as long as I kept my downloading times to non-peak hours (after midnight, or 6 am and beyond). But the conection has been down for a day or so. Does this happen often? I can connect now, but websites time out or take 10 minutes to load.

On another note, I've been talking to the Hi-Net engineer in Bangkok and he says that they minimize their international bandwith. 80% is devoted to local use and only 20% to International. No wonder p2p networks and other international web necessities are so sluggish. I asked him to increase the International bandwith and he said he would, but when I talked to him a few days later he said he hasn't done it yet. He's a real nice guy and completely honest. So maybe if we all call him and *beg* him to increase the international bandwith for us poor, feeble-minded ex-pat exiles he would.

Here's his number: 026-614-1250. Remember be nice or he will screw us. I think if we put some pleasant pressure on him he MAY cave in. I guess its worth a shot but I am quite aware of what the outcome will likely be.

Cheers,

Phuket mp3 junkee

I've come across what appears to be genuine high speed internet. 1056k I believe. From Asia Net. Only problem is that its 13,000 baht a month. But, if you have the cash to burn and can stand 40Kbps ADSL no longer.....

CMT I'm still following your saga. You should get some kind of prize for all the exploring your doing, as when you finally hit on something good -- and I remain optimistic you will! -- those of us who don't have the time to do what you're doing will be mighty grateful.

So how does this deal compare to CSLoxinfo's 6000B/month deal? I'm tempted by CSL simply because they have always delivered more or less what they've promised/advertised.

You have to be a fool to be using ADSL in that country. It's not ready. How difficult is it for users to understand that ? The only thing with fast access available here is ISDN and it works pretty well for 128K/128K (cheaper than ADSL) for less than 1000 bath a month for about 40 Hours.

ADSL can't work here for the following reasons:

- They don't have the physical infrastructure (telco + network backbone is trash)

- They don't have the ISP infrastructure (most ISP don't have the know-how and technicall skills to run and watch a user network)

Internet in Thailand is a joke. It's a miracle that Dial-up can actually work. Look at the TOT website: it's not even maintained properly (missing links, info outdated etc...). They don't even know how to run a stupid website. Too funny.

Thais are not too deep into technology

But they surely know how to run bars :o

Greetings all. Long time reader, first time postee. I signed up for the good ol' TT&T ADSL 1000 baht/month deal (through Hi-Net) a week ago in Phuket. It has been going relatively good as long as I kept my downloading times to non-peak hours (after midnight, or 6 am and beyond). But the conection has been down for a day or so. Does this happen often? I can connect now, but websites time out or take 10 minutes to load.

This is pretty standard. Get used to it. It works well one minute and then its down for 5 minutes or a day...

Do your best to get this guy to up international bandwidth. Butterfly is right about the infrastructure here. TSpeed will never be genuine ADSL, but there is still room for improvement that will make it an obviously more attractive choice than dial up.

I've come across  what appears to be genuine high speed internet. 1056k I believe. From Asia Net. Only problem is that its 13,000 baht a month. But, if you have the cash to burn and can stand 40Kbps ADSL no longer.....

CMT I'm still following your saga. You should get some kind of prize for all the exploring your doing, as when you finally hit on something good -- and I remain optimistic you will! -- those of us who don't have the time to do what you're doing will be mighty grateful.

So how does this deal compare to CSLoxinfo's 6000B/month deal? I'm tempted by CSL simply because they have always delivered more or less what they've promised/advertised.

Yes, this all demonstrates that I have way too much time on my hands. The TSpeed ads of three months ago raised my expectations and now I want them to deliver what they promised.

Can you tell me more about the CSloxinfo 6,000 baht plan?

I cancelled CmInternet yesterday. Why? Becuase I asked them 5 times before I signed up if i would be guaranteed at least 128Kbps at all times and they said absolutley. In reality, for 4 or 5 hours a day, it is dial up speed. Every time I called, they said that it was TT&T's fault and told me they would check on it and call me back. They never called me back once. When I really pushed them regarding their guarantee and explained that I am not paying 3,000 baht a month for 40Kbps, they said that their guarantee applies to domestic usage. I guess they forgot to mention that when I signed up. (Incidently, if all you care about is domestic usage, then TSpeed is perfect, but who cares about domestic usage? It can only be useful for the gaming people.)

Anyway, another Thai company that doesn't look after the customer, who's employees have no training in customer service and who's marketing department is publishing blatant lies.

I'm still looking for a reliable high speed (200Kbps plus) and affordable option. If I had the extra 13,000 I'd go with Asia Net, but that is beyond my budget.

I still can't understand why South Korea, Japan and even Australia can offer a standard of ADSL that Thailand can only dream about.

You have to be a fool to be using ADSL in that country. It's not ready. How difficult is it for users to understand that ? The only thing with fast access available here is ISDN and it works pretty well for 128K/128K (cheaper than ADSL) for less than 1000 bath a month for about 40 Hours.

And what "country" might that be? I and many others here in Bangkok use ADSL at 256/128 for 750 baht or less for 40 hours and it works great. Upcountry there is a problem but when you consider almost 20% of the population lives in Bangkok it becomes a little more understandable. If you live in a small town in rural Virginia you aren't going to have much more than 28k modem service either.

I still can't understand why South Korea, Japan and even Australia can offer a standard of ADSL that Thailand can only dream about.

Simple ... the Telecom market is not yet fully liberalized.

If you want to know more about it:

Google: "thailand telecommunication 2006 liberalization"

or read this one:

http://www.tillekeandgibbins.com/Publicati...munications.pdf

There is litlle competition in the International bandwidth, which make it expensive.

That's why you can have fast local access ... and "slow" international access.

As of today the IPTV system is still delivering me with true (and always) 256kbps downloads.

In another thread CMT wrote he uses around 600Mb/week (seems high to me though) which would set him back 5500 Baht.

Or you could opt for the 3200Mb package at 6000 Baht/month.

For me it still is the best option, eventhough ADSL just became available in my area (also at 6000/month, from loxinfo).

Try to find a place which uses the system before comitting, it does have a few shortfalls. (like a little latency, drop out during heavy thunderstorms,...)

Remember, with IPTV you are the only user of your 256kbps link, so speed only falls back when the international backbone is overloaded. Which is very seldom, and would affect every internet user in Thailand...

Hey BUTTERFLY.

What company provides ISDN? I'm on-line nearly 24 hours a day? Does ISDN have reasonable unlimited hours packages?

Basically we try to make do with what we can get...and outside of Bangkok that sort of optimism is needed because when it comes to internet companies nothing is as it seems.

Its not easy to try every option because every province operates differently and its quite difficult for a non-speaking Thai person to seek out the information they need. Most of my Thai friends cannot find the answers to my questions. My Thai GF can't always find the information I request. And google can sometimes fail me.

So when your S.O.L. you tend to latch on to whatever you can find at the moment, otherwise you're increasing blood pressure and melting synapses would cause a sudden bout of insanity resulting in some form of road rage with 2 or 3 tuk-tuk drivers laid out on the pavement and the police beating you with big sticks.

"Serenity now. Serenity now". An important mantra and chant to mumble when things fail to materialize in the way you had hoped.

Remember, with IPTV you are the only user of your 256kbps link, so speed only falls back when the international backbone is overloaded. Which is very seldom, and would affect every internet user in Thailand...

Only if all international links were down at the same time; which almost never happens. Each ISP contracts for specific path/circuit bandwith so one can be down or overloaded but another have full capacity available.

True Lopburi,

But CSLoxinfo probably has the biggest and most versatile international bandwith of all ISP's

Date: 23/05/04 Time: 10:13

LINK SPEED TYPE DESTINATION STATUS

IIG 155 Mbps Fiber USA UP

REACH 45 Mbps Fiber SINGAPORE UP

SINGTEL 45 Mbps Fiber Singapore UP

TH-NIX 255 Mbps Fiber Thailand UP