Nok Air flight makes emergency landing in Surat Thani after plane hit birds

Lite Beer

Nok Air flight makes emergency landing in Surat Thani after plane hit birds

8-31-2014-3-58-01-PM1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

SURAT: -- A Bangkok-bound Nok Air flight made an emergency landing at Surat Thani airport this morning after the plane hit some birds shortly after it left Nakhon Si Thammarat.

The Boeing 738’s flight DD 7805 with a total of 139 passengers and crew members left Nakhon Si Thammarat at 7.40 am. bound for Don Meuang international airport.

As the plane was approaching Surat Thani, the captain contacted the control tower at Surat Thani airport asking permission for an emergency landing after one of the engines struck some unknown species of birds.

The plane landed safely and several passengers were transferred to another Nok Air flight bound for Don Meuang. Others who were not transferred because the plane was full were given a refund.

Earlier, there were two cases of emergency landings after the planes of Air Asia hit birds while airborne above Nakhon Si Thammarat.

Source: http://englishnews.t...plane-hit-birds

xthaipbs_logo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.mHzeIZqN2
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-31

Maybe they need to actual follow international standards of grass cutting to keep birdies away. I notice many Thai airports failing maybe bird scarers like they use on farms?as the grass grows so damn fast.

• Like 1

whistling.gif Thailand is on a known Flyway migration route north-south (depending on time of year) for migratory birds annually.

They tend to stay over the land areas, to avoid long flights over the ocean.

So the Thai landmass is the route they choose from areas like China and Laos to fly over.

I guess the way they look at is that they were flying there long before humans and their d -mn airplanes were.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Maybe they need to actual follow international standards of grass cutting to keep birdies away. I notice many Thai airports failing maybe bird scarers like they use on farms?as the grass grows so damn fast.

That reminds me of when I was waiting to catch a flight from Luang Prabang 18 years ago. When the plane appeared, ready to land, a guy came running out with a big stick and chased all the buffalos off the runway thumbsup.gif

BZ to the flight deck crew for getting everyone back down w/o further incident.

Maybe lost in translation but reads like most pax simply got their money back and left to their own devices in Surat T vs. Nok sending a replacement plane down to get them the rest of the way to DM.

• Like 1

Digitalbanana, on 31 Aug 2014 - 21:29, said:
Jdietz, on 31 Aug 2014 - 18:39, said:

Maybe they should reconsider their paint jobs, seems to attract them.

Air Asia was in the news in June with bird damage to plane at same airport.

I was under the impression these aircraft are designed to withstand bird strikes, to the point where frozen chickens are fired into a running engine.

Edited by MediaWatcher

I was under the impression these aircraft are designed to withstand bird strikes, to the point where frozen chickens are fired into a running engine.

No, that's normally to make sure they can contain flying engine parts. An uncontained engine failure can send bits of fan blade spinning into the aircraft doing untold damage (c.f. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232 ).

Earlier, there were two cases of emergency landings after the planes of Air Asia hit birds while airborne above Nakhon Si Thammarat.

You would think someone would have told the tower to warn other aircraft. You know, "Watch out, there's a big flock of birds up there" sort of thing.

Instead three aircraft fly into it.

No, that's normally to make sure they can contain flying engine parts. An uncontained engine failure can send bits of fan blade spinning into the aircraft doing untold damage (c.f. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232 ).

thanks for the info.

First of all there is no such thing as a Boeing 738. And secondarily, why are these damn ducks picking on their namesake They should just clear the way, and show Nok some respect. What on earth are they thinking blocking the path of the Bird airline?

"B738" is the ICAO code for the 737-800. I can only assume that's where they got it from.

The Boeing 738s flight DD 7805.

Is this a new model? Airplane buffs please?

Boeings new secret plane Nok are testing,cheesy.gif but as the other poster said B 737-800

It's a short code used in airline timetables to show the aircraft type or derivative model. Outside the industry it would normally be called a Boeing 737. Edited by laobali

Boffins decided that this test was not very representative when it was determined that aircraft encountered very few frozen chickens whilst airborne