Any Government department to control food safety ?

taipeiwalkerhk

Hi,

In my country, there is Health department and consumer concil to montior and random check the food / medicine. And they will post their findings regularly on their Web site (in English). However, in Thailand, as a traveller, I will always go to supermarket or drug store to buy things. Is there any department to keep track those things and report their findings to the consumer?

For example, I expect to see oh... this brand of chips has too much sodimum or this pills have some kind of fobidden ingredients need to take away from the shelf. Anyone konws?

Cheers!

Tristan

My local provincial health department has a consumer department and office of the FDA.

They conduct random food checks using a mobile laboratory along with regular checks of water factories etc. They also respond to public complaints in addition to issuing the required licences for food, water and other medical businesses. The consumer dept also carry out regular checks on gold shops to check their scale calibrations etc.

The MoPH and FDA have websites although with limited english. Individual provincial departments have their own websites and facebook pages mostly in Thai where they share information and other matters of concern among their community.

Generally english results of any large raid of unlicenced clinic or confiscation of illegal products appear in the newspapers.