Garbage dumping sites surrounding Bangkok to undergo major reorganization

webfact

Stop people from burning there garbage and forcing everyone else to close there windows and turn on the air conditioning. They should be fined at least 1000 baht. and it should be enforced no question asked, no Bribes. And neighbours should get 100 baht to turn in there neighbours.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Thais dumping crap all over the place, whether is be storm-water drains or the side of the road. I think an extra million or two tonnes can be added to that figure... by the pigs that love this country, yet abuse it.

Im sure a % of the expenditure on garbage management can be made up in fines... however, as there is nobody in Thailand who can police anything, that idea is a waste of time... ~sic~

My very first day in bkk was on soi 4. As I walked up the street for a beer I wretched the whole walk. I almost puked 3 times and that's no exaggeration. Id never smelt anything like it. A mixture of garbage, raw sewage, tuk tuk exhaust all with the humidity and heat. It literally took me a few days to get used to it. Now I don't even notice it anymore.

....27 million tonnes generated each year across the kingdom.

Is this the amount that ends up in "official" tips? If yes then you can probably double that for the amount that is illegally and selfishly dumped every day. Travel some of the back roads of Jomtien and Pattaya (and probably every other town or village) and see what I mean.

Other ways to reduce the amount of garbage produced:

Make it compulsory for sales outlets to charge for plastic bags.

Ban the use of plastic bags altogether.

Encourage shoppers not to purchase pre-wrapped goods, particularly fruit and veg.

Encourage supermarkets not to sell pre-wrapped goods.

Ban the use of polystyrene food containers, plastic and paper cups etc. etc.

A pipe dream I know.

It really does not take much, but if you still have not started yet, you can start now:

Shop with your linen bag, refuse plastic bags

Buy fruit and veggies at your local market

Reuse the egg container

Ban the use of styrofoam containers in your own house

Bring your own tupper ware, when you buy food.

Recycle paper, glas, PE, PET.

Use returnable soda bottles (i.e. 400ccm Singha)

BTW: Restaurants could also go back to the old style banana leaf wrapping

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

Fought at my condo for litter bins................answer " not look beautiful"...........but crap thrown anywhere is???

The cognitive dissonance here is unbelievable. My school wanted to discourage students from leaving trash in the classroom, so what do you think the director's bright idea was? Remove all the trash cans from the rooms! That way, students will have to carry their trash out of the room with them and drop it into the big containers outside!

Those of you who weren't born yesterday can pretty much guess the result:

409971571.jpg

Yep, that's right where the trash can used to be.

If only everyone using less plastics that would deff help so much as i saw most of the was is plastics. Everytime i go to buy something that needed plastic bags i always bring my own bags, everywhere! I take my own tupperware so that i don't need plastic to buy cooked food even when i buy from restaurant, after i finish my food i can wash it n using it again next time.

Fought at my condo for litter bins................answer " not look beautiful"...........but crap thrown anywhere is???

The cognitive dissonance here is unbelievable. My school wanted to discourage students from leaving trash in the classroom, so what do you think the director's bright idea was? Remove all the trash cans from the rooms! That way, students will have to carry their trash out of the room with them and drop it into the big containers outside!

Those of you who weren't born yesterday can pretty much guess the result:

409971571.jpg

Yep, that's right where the trash can used to be.

Yep reminds me of the tactic they use to stop the youngsters from having sex on valentine day ,, remive all condom vending machines .

Inna way this could work if no plastic dispisables are allowed on schoolgrounds

A simple way to cut down on waste is to make recycle bins mandatory by each garbage bin. You get a bottle of water and look for a place to put the botle and the only thing is the garbage bin.

If people actually learn to recycle it will cut down on waste considerably.

Also have big ticket pick up once in awhile.

Until they figure out how to tax land owners there is no way that they can set up free trash pickup or make it mandatory.

Here in sunny Jomtien the rubbish is collected every day from my Condo- but I have no idea what happens to it. I see no reason why there cannot be recycling bins- in the UK you are threatened with a £1000 ( 50,000 baht) fine if you do not recycle .

I seem to generate a huge amount of rubbish- mostly bottles, aluminium cans , stunning amounts of plastic packaging, and food waste- much of this could easily be recycled . It could also bring in some income for the condo.

However don't just blame the Thai mentality- its everywhere. I moved from what was once a pleasant green leafy suburb in London - that every night became strewn with fast food boxes, bottles, cans, syringes.

Education is the key- and a pride in your surroundings

We have been seperating our rubbish for years already, but then again we live in a house. I made a few big containers for glass, plastic bottles and cans. When they are full the recycling guy picks it up for free because he sells it to the recycling station. Every town, neighborhood has one.

It's not just trash and landfills. I read a couple of years back that only 14% of Thailand's sewage is actually treated before being released to the environment. That means 86% is released untreated. Billions of baht are expended to build treatment plants, but because of pervasive corruption, contracts are let to cousins and uncles who have never built an engineered structure. There's no quality control. There's no construction engineering. The plants won't come online. The money is gone. The trash piles up. The waste flows downhill. The tourists go away.

There are countries that burn the trash and generate electricity. In Marietta, Georgia, USA they have a compression facility and compress the trash in cubes and haul to e;ectrical plants to be burned.

One of my complaints about Thailand is there do not even respect their own country. They just dump trash anywhere, does not matter it is public or some elses property. I must admit India, Indonesia and Morroco are worse..

Edited by gchurch259

Recycling, electric plants that burn solid waste, properly constructed dumps for bio-degradeables with methane collectors, massive advertising to educate, and after a while fines for those who just don't get it. Fines, jail time, pay for clean up of big time abusers. The upfront investment is costly but doing nothing cost more. Just common sense.thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

There is a system for burning waste with lasers that produces electricity and very little residuals.

Another alternative is to mine the methane gas produced inside the garbage heaps. This methane could fuel incinerators which in turn could burn waste, produce steam and electricity.

In addition the recycling program in Edmonton Alberta, Canada is well developed and very labor intensive - something Thailand has an unlimited supply of. In Edmonton the whole of the garbage can be recycled.

My next door neighbor religiously every morning sweeps the bit of road outside her house. In the evening you'll find her further up the street chatting with other neighbors. She smokes and puts the butt on the street outside their houses. They don't get swept up. Same neighbor also lets her dog out twice a day to take a poop in the street outside somebody else's house. Nobody says anything except me and we're always having shouting matches. She stops for a while and then returns to her 'out of sight out of mind' ways.

I've also seen people sweep their house out into the street not putting it in a bin which do exist. Kids throw their ice cream wrappers straight on the road after making a purchase. I've now educated most of the ice cream salesmen to take back the wrappers and dispose of them properly.

Littering is a serious problem here. And on that score the Thai people are a very dirty nation.

Yes sir we in Thailand plan for the long term, we are 1st world country, and can prove it, if the tips are full, then just dump it by the side of the road

This is no different than in the UK where fly tipping is the norm. Nearly every lay-by has rubble and rubbish just dumped. Also rubbish down the sides of every major rural roads. One of the reasons I would not live there