Are you missing your family, friends, back in the old country?

Costas2008

I have been living in Thailand for 7 years now.

I have an extended family in Greece, as I have 3 brothers and they all have kids, also my best friend in life, lives there.

My kids, grown up now, and grandchildren, live in the UK, where they are married to British nationals and enjoy a descent family life.

But, I miss them all, very much, either in the UK or Greece.

I always, give them a telephone call or get in touch by Skype or Email.

My finances, do allow me to afford, to visit them once a year, combining the UK and Greece.

You would be quite right to tell me, why don’t you go back to them then?

To my defence, I would say, that I have a good life here and a good wife that takes care of me.

Being in the UK or Greece, I would have to live alone and visit the kids or the relatives every so often.

Enough said about me, now I would like to hear from you.

Are you in contact with your family, parents, siblings, friends, kids?

Do you miss them?

Did you ever regret, living here and being so far away from them?

Do you visit them, every so often?

Have you ever considered, going back to them, one day?

I would appreciate your comments.

Are you in contact with your family, parents, siblings, friends, kids?..........Ans..Yes ! except parents, I'm head of family.

Do you miss them?............Ans..No.

Did you ever regret, living here and being so far away from them?.........Ans..No.

Do you visit them, every so often?...........Ans.. No ! They visit me.

Have you ever considered, going back to them, one day?........Ans..Never even if I was kick out of Thailand. smile.png

• Like 2

I do miss my family being around, but I generally get back to the UK 2-3 times a year depending on work schedule, so it's ok. I stay in touch with a lot of my old friends from work and sports clubs, and always catch up with them when I am back; some do come over here to visit. However, I have been here 10 years now, so I also have a good network of people that I enjoy their company so I am not missing out on anything , other than a few foods which are difficult to get here.

• Like 1

Costas, why don't you ask them over to see you in Thailand?

I keep asking them, and they say they will come one day.

As about the kids, the grandchildren are still too young to make such a long trip.

Looking forward in the future, to bring them here and stay for a long time with me.

• Like 2

i think all of us will miss family and friends,

but to be honest, ive just got back from a month in the uk and i dont in the least miss what they are still doing and did when i was there with them 8 years ago

in the same pubs at the same time at the weekends, chasing the same old women that we did when i was there,,lol,

they enjoy it, but im afraid it wasnt for me again, but each to there own,

• Like 1

There are good things about Thailand, and bad. For me the scales have finally tipped and the bad outweigh the good.

Friends? Oh, yeah. Can't wait to get back and have an intelligent conversation over a glass of reasonably priced wine, or a fresh-brewed ale, in a place with tablecloths and servers who look your way every few minutes to make sure all is okay. And cloth napkins to wipe the mouth, rather than toilet paper.

But then, God help the first friend or family member who asks me, "You eat spicy?" Or, "You like Thai girl?"

• Like 2

There are good things about Thailand, and bad. For me the scales have finally tipped and the bad outweigh the good.

Friends? Oh, yeah. Can't wait to get back and have an intelligent conversation over a glass of reasonably priced wine, or a fresh-brewed ale, in a place with tablecloths and servers who look your way every few minutes to make sure all is okay. And cloth napkins to wipe the mouth, rather than toilet paper.

But then, God help the first friend or family member who asks me, "You eat spicy?" Or, "You like Thai girl?"

I do admire you........you will leave Rech Thum and go back?

You are a brave manthumbsup.gif

I do admire you........you will leave Rech Thum and go back?

You are a brave manthumbsup.gif

Yes, Costas. I am putting Rhek Thum behind me.

But I still have dozens of stories to recall the precious times.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have a group of very good friends back home with whom I used to meet for a long lunch every Friday. Good food, very good wines and good banter. Sometimes it would extend well into the evening.

I really miss the good wines.

When I need a good whine, I login to TV.....................rolleyes.gif

tongue.png

i think all of us will miss family and friends,

but to be honest, ive just got back from a month in the uk and i dont in the least miss what they are still doing and did when i was there with them 8 years ago

in the same pubs at the same time at the weekends, chasing the same old women that we did when i was there,,lol,

they enjoy it, but im afraid it wasnt for me again, but each to there own,

Yep, in Thailand you can chase (and catch) much younger women.

• Like 1

I would miss Thailand more if I was living back home than I miss back there living in LOS.

I'm not speaking about the country, yes, I like Thailand too, that's why I'm here.

But the family and friends, still living in the old country.

Again, may be, you haven't got any connections so this is irrelevant to you.

My two sons (and their children) from my first marriage Live in Australia, where they were born. My two daughters from my second marriage (and the kids of the eldest - youngest is at uni) live in UK. I live in Greece, and have done for nearly 14 years. My sons I see very occasionally - Australia is a long way from everywhere! But through the wonders of Skype, we can chat as if we're in the same room. My daughters both visit me fairly regularly, I occasionally go to UK, or we meet somewhere (I'm meeting youngest in Istanbul for a few days in a couple of weeks, for instance) and again, we have Skype. I don't miss being closer. I can't abide UK and all its petty, stupid jobsworths prosecuting all their petty, stupid laws. I wouldn't live there if you paid me. And anyway, I hate the cold! bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif

And when I move from here, it will be to LOS, which will place me a long way from everyone. But we have the internet, and my daughters love to visit. Most of my friends are spread around the world anyway, so nothing changes there.

So to sum up, no, I'm not really missing family and friends. And I most certainly don't miss the UK as it is now. As it was forty years ago? Yes, maybe. But that's been swept away by the 'progressives' and the neo-puritans. I won't ever see it as a free country again in my lifetime.

With the internet its really not so much of an issue now. I speak to my parents pretty regularly on Skype, its enough for me. To be honest I dont miss people, I am happy living here. I dont miss Australia at all and dont really even want to go back for a holiday for quite a while. My parents like coming here....and they have a lot more money than me. I chose to live here and was fully aware that I wouldnt be seeing friends and family all that often. I wanted to make a clean break and start again, its worked for me and I am content. I have not ill feelings toward people back in Aus. I am just not interested in going back there now. All my friends there are high school buddies, I am now 41...After living here for a long time I think I have just changed too much. I love the fact that living here I can either choose to get fully involved in social/daily life situations or just be left completely alone. I can immerse myself in Thai culture, banter, drink...be merry, then the next day just shut off and be Mr Farang that no one understands....blink.png Thats the freedom I want and that why I live here.

• Like 1

I would miss Thailand more if I was living back home than I miss back there living in LOS.

I'm not speaking about the country, yes, I like Thailand too, that's why I'm here.

But the family and friends, still living in the old country.

Again, may be, you haven't got any connections so this is irrelevant to you.

I was including family and friends in "back home".

I have three sisters in Canada and their off spring, we keep in touch via FB, email and the odd telephone call. Most of my friends there have their own families and now grandkids and we seldom saw each other, but once again we keep in touch. I now have a close group of friends in Thailand that I meet once a week with. I really don't miss Canada and it is a long way to go. Since I am a retired airline employee the cost is not a problem, but the hours are.